Iron Chic
Not Like This

by Mike Allen USER (107 Reviews)
November 30th, 2010 | 59 replies

Review Summary: Who said Latterman was dead?

So let’s get this straight; Latterman is everywhere. Despite the band’s dissolution in 2007, the members have been workaholics within the punk community, as integral components of the Shorebirds, RVIVR, Bridge and Tunnel, The Brass, and Iron Chic. The latter is one of the latest installments, and fuses ex-Latterman mates with those of Small Arms Dealer. Out of all the aforementioned groups, Iron Chic may be the one that most precisely embodies Latterman; the gang vocals, shouted choruses, and intensely infectious atmosphere are flashes of the former Americana-tinged punk rockers. With that said, it should be inconceivable to hear that guitarist Phil Douglas is the only current member to have played for Latterman, with Brian Crozier leaving the band last year. Iron Chic’s debut, Not Like This, is a testament to its predecessors, but also leaves room for the band to define themselves as a separate entity.

“I want to smash my face, into that goddamn radio,” shouts Jason Lubrano in Not Like This’s opening track; a blatant indication of the record’s obnoxious demeanor. Iron Chic’s debut balances raw, vigorous tendencies with a melodic upside, which contributes to its accessibility and sheer exuberance. The record’s fourth track, “I Always Never Said That,” is in every way verification of the aforementioned statement; its polished guitar leads perfectly melding with Lubrano’s loutish vocals and the backing “who-oh-ohs.” The anthemic aspect of Not Like This cannot be undermined, for each track possesses that uplifting, sing-along quality that is so primed for live performance. The record’s ultimate piece, “Every Town Has an Elm Street” is highlighted by an elevating outro that stresses “Home is where the heart stays, when the heart strays. Home is where we are today.” With relatable lyrics and electric choruses, Iron Chic is geared to be a successful and stimulating bar band; translating brilliantly into a belligerent atmosphere.

The synthesis of Small Arms Dealer and Latterman has already proved to be an intriguing endeavor; one that the Latterman fans will especially be ecstatic about. Iron Chic’s debut Not Like This is an accurate demonstration of modern Americana-tinged punk, utilizing anthemic hooks and unconcealed intensity to identify its fervent purpose. Not Like This is not intended to be listened to through headphones in the comfort of your own home, but one that should be blasted at the utmost of decibels on a night out. After all, that is exactly what we cherished in Latterman.