Saints Never Surrender
Brutus

by Nu Metal USER (27 Reviews)
November 29th, 2010 | 37 replies | 9,661 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The best, and unfortunately the last SNS album.

In this day and age, when you hear the words “Melodic Hardcore” you might quickly be turned away. But don’t be irked by this. Saints Never Surrender provide a beautiful job well done with their third release titled Brutus that strays away from trying to be as heavy as possible to easing towards trying to be a feast to the ears that in turns creates intense and incredibly passionate hardcore.

The opening track titled Swan is a little bit misleading as its atmospheric guitar work quickly transitions into the first real song on the album titled This Moment where what was built up in Swan quickly crashes to the ground with an opening crowd chanted verse going “I will walk with pride!” shouted under driving guitars and the barks of the lead vocalist. This song builds a good impression of what to expect from this band. The guitars are beautifully melodic, the drums are intense and greatly done, but unfortunately the vocals, although good are at some points slightly inaudible. But being in possession of a lyrics sheet would be helpful to you.

Speaking of lyrics, the next song titled Companion displays some of the best lyrical compositions in the album and definitely displays the positive and fun nature of this band. As you may have guessed, the song is about companionship and sticking it through as noted from some of the lines that go “We’ve battled immortal beings, we’ve made them beg for death,” it shows the heartfelt loyalty they have for the people around them and maturity as lyricists.

Another great song to be noted on this album would be the one titled Lost To Time. This song like the others stick to the passionate melodies in each song but is also mixed instrumentally when it comes from being beautifully melodic into devastatingly intense. The transitions in this song are incredibly tasty as it goes from a melodic interlude into a shredding and powerful breakdown, and you can see that there was a great amount of work put into this song instead of the members messing around with open palm chugging and then going “*** yeah! Lets put this into song number 5!” adding a great composition to this album.

The time that Saints Never Surrender was active has come and gone, but in their time as a band they left behind a truly strong and memorable album filled with beautiful composition, powerful lyrical writing, and intense passion that seemed to be all but lost in the hardcore scene. With that said, I tip my hat to you, Saints Never Surrender for providing a great and memorable album.

Pros
Great guitarwork
Great song compositions
Amazing lyrics

Cons
Sometimes inaudible vocals

Best Songs
Lost To Time
Companion
This Moment

Alcoa Bone & MarrowFull of Hell Rudiments of Mutilation
Sole No Wising Up No Settling DownHave Heart The Things We Carry
Born Without Bones Say HelloDefiler Nematocera

November 29th 2010

This album needed a review.

chiggles
November 29th 2010

Definitely going to check this out. Pos'd.

vakuola
November 29th 2010

Nice review, Companion is one of my favourite songs ever

November 29th 2010

Really one of the most underrated bands ever, I found out about these guys 2 years ago when I was really enthusiastic about primarily hardcore, it was a few months before their breakup and them turning into Continuance. Which also broke up.

chiggles
November 29th 2010

They turned into Continuance?! Did not know that, they were good as shit, before they broke up that is.

musicConsumer

who do they sound like?

November 30th 2010

Heres the first real song on the album.

vakuola
November 30th 2010

Guitar work is what caught my attention, I also found out about them 2 years ago. I purchased their record on ebay for like 3 dlls along with gospel's record for 4 dlls

November 30th 2010

Yeah, this album was executed with impressive expertise, shame they don't get more recognition.

January 6th 2011

Totally reminds me of Shai Hulud.

dixoncocks
September 27th 2011

Album is so good, love the last track.

Digging: Manchester Orchestra - Cope

Scoot
October 26th 2011

this shit is cash

Digging: Acme - To Reduce the Choir to One Soloist

Hawks
February 10th 2012

This needs to be more well known around here.

February 20th 2012

For real.

February 20th 2012

These dudes also got back together.
I'm fangirling like fuck right now.

Fluttertrank
May 16th 2012

album is amazing. and they are to together again, im hoping for more amazing melodic
hardcore

Digging: Xanthochroid - Blessed He With Boils

May 16th 2012

Ooh didn't know they were together again.

KSK1
May 16th 2012

Are you sure they got back together? I thought they just played a reunion festival or something.

Fluttertrank
May 16th 2012

hmm.... guess im not sure then. damnit.

May 18th 2012

These guys are Canadian right? If not i'm gonna lower my rating.