Mobb Deep
Infamy

good

by David Zamarripa-Shippey USER (2 Reviews)
November 28th, 2010 | 13 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: While a departure from their classic gritty sound, Infamy is still a listen worthy of your ears

This album is often called the turning point, where Mobb Deep gave up on the grimy, hardcore sound that earned them their reputation as one of hip hop's better acts in favor of mainstream recognition and more sales. I'd agree whole-heartedly. The singles are noticeably radio-friendly, one being a collaboration with R&B quartet 112, a significant departure from street singles like "Quiet Storm" and "Hell on Earth". The shift towards a larger audience by no means makes this a terrible album, because it's not. Ironically this release fared worse than their previous three releases, barely earning a gold certification. It has passable filler but there also exists a significant number of good tracks.

Infamy starts out with "Pray For Me", boasting great production and decent background singing. A major issue that's evident from track one is Prodigy, the primary MC of the group. Here he sounds tired, and generally uninterested not to mention the half-assed lyrics he spits are very simplistic.

"The Invincible infamous Mobb Deep nigga *** you
If you touch one of my dunns I'll buck you
You ain't got nuts enough to come through
And get back at my niggas for them gun wounds
You a punk bitch ass nigga you soft duke
I'm a young rich ass nigga who love to
Show you how a nigga get his lights blew
Teach you the mystery God and murk you"

Get used to it, that's about as good as Prodigy gets from here on out. Havoc himself sounds just the same as he always is, same flow, same delivery and similar rhyming. Sadly, he does better than the alleged primary MC. Production is handled mostly by him, but other contributions include Ez Elpee with his great sample driven "Get Away", Alchemist providing the surprisingly weak "Get At Me" and Scott Storch the catchy "I Won't Fall" and sub-par synth mess "There I Go Again". Havoc's own work is versatile, ranging from the futuristic "Clap" to the subtle orchestral bliss of "Nothing Like Home" and hostile, chopped up "Crawlin". While not up to par with his previous production, it's pretty good, albeit dragged down by the haphazard, irritating generic club vibe of "Bounce" and 80's pop hit rip-off sounding "Handcuffs".

The featured performers are largely forgettable, I didn't even remember hearing the usually great Big Noyd even being on "The Learning (Burn)", Infamous Mobb sucks as usual on "My Gats Spitting" and Ron Isley is just god-awful on the closer "There I Go Again". The hooks are pretty ineffective, there's the monotonous "Kill that nigga!" from (you guessed it) "Kill That Nigga" and bland R&B of "Hey Luv (Anything)"

Overall, not a bad album. Prodigy's decline is noticeable but bearable, Havoc still shows his ability on the m.i.c and keyboards, decent cuts. It doesn't really deserve all the backlash it gets. Now Amerikaz Nightmare is where Mobb Deep REALLY started sucking hardcore shamelessly.

Recommended Tracks:
The Learning (Burn)
Get Away
Pray For Me
Nothing Like Home

2.3

November 28th 2010

Hey moderators, how do I indent the paragraphs?

November 28th 2010

Feedback guys? Constructive criticism?

Urinetrouble
November 28th 2010

albums okay, its certainly not thier best. havocs new producton style 200-present sucks

somberlain

album truly is awful, I like 'Hey Luv' even though it is so un-Mobb Deep

about the review, don't feel like need to reference every track on the album. just my opinion

Irving
November 28th 2010

Solid review, especially for a first. I'd suggest making it a little less conversational (less usage of the pronoun "I"), and directing the review to talk more about the subcultural impact of this album (if any) might also be a step in the right direction. It might also be worth noting that much of the description of the songs is done by placing them under a generic umbrella-like term (e.g: The hooks are pretty ineffective, there's the monotonous "Kill that nigga!" from (you guessed it) "Kill That Nigga" and bland R&B of "Hey Luv (Anything)"). Devote more time to explaining each song individually or (and this might be the better option), pick one song and thoroughly justify your opinion of it.

Aside from that, this review is solid, and you seem to know what to do at least. Welcome to the site - hope to hear more from you soon!

Oh, and also - indentations are generally not used when starting new paragraphs. A space is just fine =)

Digging: U2 - Songs of Innocence

Hep Kat
November 28th 2010

i typically like to pretend this doesn't exist.

November 29th 2010

Thanks guys, criticism is much appreciated, I'll take it into account in my next review.

MUNGOLOID
November 29th 2010

decent review. will probably never hear this album unless i'm really really really really bored.

November 29th 2010

At least give Nothing Like Home a listen, it's better than most the stuff off of The Infamous and Hell On Earth

November 29th 2010

two double posts in a row...wow

Hep Kat
November 29th 2010

sorry man, the elitist douche bags who make up the sputnik user base arent very receptive of fresh meat

MUNGOLOID
November 30th 2010

aight man. as long as it doesn't suck like Hey Love.

36chambers
February 26th 2011

well i should trust your word with this one being worth a listen i never did bother checking it out before, only really heard bad things. That Prodigy verse sounds horrible, different to see havoc outshines him