Kiss the Anus of a Black Cat
Hewers of Wood and Drawers of Water

by Tim Verhoeff USER (19 Reviews)
November 22nd, 2010 | 23 replies

Review Summary: Kiss this record when you find it under your christmas tree. Just forget about the cat

You can never judge a book by it's cover and a name like Kiss the Anus of a Black Cat proves it. It sounds like a band with humor and that might actually still be the case but there is nothing funny about their, or actually, his music.

Kiss the Anus of a Black Cat is a one man project led by Belgian Stef Irritant, who uses guest musicians on most of his albums. He plays dark and sober folk similar, in style and quality, to Wovenhand. The folk is also mixed with rock, country and even some drone influences.

Be it clean electrics or acoustics, all the songs are based around vocals and guitar. The songs on this album range from small songs with just guitar and vocals (Hewers of Wood and Drawers of Water), to songs that have some percussion added (Harrow) and songs that feature a full band (Taking the Auspices), but don't expect any uptempo folk/rock songs on this album. All the tempo's on this album are slow and sludgy, which is something that really fits the sober mood set by the voice of Stef.

Lyrically this is very poetic album. Just look at the title, he could have just called it lumberjacks and waterboys. Those poetic lyrics go really well with the hint of moaning and complaint that is always present in the vocals. The style of the vocals isn't typically folk, so don't expect that country twang. Think Woven Hand, a British accent and I even hear a little Killing Joke every now and then.

Even though most of the songs are based around vocals and guitars, the guitars the aren't very up front in the mix. The production is very based around the mood the songs set and all the instruments have their equal place in it. So when that organ comes in at the end of Harrow you can hear it really well. The vocals are very present in the mix though, but isn't a problem cause his voice sets the mood for a lot of songs.

So if you like your folk a bit darker or you are a metalhead who just wants to hear something different, try this record.

Bruce Lamont Feral Songs for the Epic DeclineMajeure Timespan
Mount Moriah Mount MoriahLesbian Stratospheria Cubensis
Aethenor En Form for BlaCough Ritual Abuse
recommended by reviewer
Wovenhand Mosaic

Metalstyles
November 22nd 2010

A band called Kiss The Anus of a Black Cat and a ram skull as the album cover? Wtf

Anyway, good and concise review.

Ovrot

The fuck?

Digging: Funeral Sex - Anal War

pizzamachine
November 22nd 2010

"Kiss the Anus of a Black Cat"

Hahahahaha I can't believe it. Nice review btw.

Scoot

best band name ever?

Digging: The Smith Street Band - Throw Me In The River

November 22nd 2010

Satan's Almighty Penis would throw in their name for consideration. Sounds interesting.

Digging: Pink Turns Blue - If Two Worlds Kiss

Satan's Almighty Penis would throw in their name for consideration

They'd be LeBron to this band's Kobe for names.

This has to be awesome.

November 22nd 2010

That song isn't listed here, but it's not bad actually. The picture is funny too.

Yazz_Flute
November 22nd 2010

i'm really diggin that song you posted, Josh.

Digging: Kenn Nardi - Dancing With the Past

FatChickIrl

Kiss the Anus of a Black Cat with Satan's Almighty Penis

lobby
November 22nd 2010

I've given this a few listens, its pretty nice

Heysatan
November 22nd 2010

awesome band name. and cover.

November 23rd 2010

i'm really diggin that song you posted, Josh.

I think it's good.

North0House
November 23rd 2010

Lol, if I end up liking this and recommend it to my friends, they'll probably think I'm retarded just because of what this project's called.
I might like it, I'll check it out. I have nothing else to do at 11:30 at night, besides sleep.

North0House
November 23rd 2010

Whoa, I already like this lol. Wasn't what I expected to be honest, even though the reviewer mentioned Wovenhand related sound... Huh, it's cool.
Good review.

When I hear the band name, I think of:

[img]http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lcblm1Y7r71qavugdo1_500.jpg[/img]

deadinholywood
November 23rd 2010

I would like a tshirt of this band to wear for entertainment value alone

IRAI
November 23rd 2010

band name is too ridiculous to not check out.
for real.

i just so happen to be in the mood for this at the moment.

ZippaThaRippa

holy fuck band name

YankeeDudel
September 25th 2012

lol

this album is actually pretty good

Digging: Taj Mahal Travellers - August 1974

cagedescending
September 25th 2012

with a name like that i really can't resist giving this a go either