Into the Ocean
Ruins

by BroManCaptainGuySirDylan USER (19 Reviews)
November 16th, 2010 | 13 replies

Review Summary: To put things simply, due to their expansive genre experimentation and lack of boundaries there is a high chance that you will find something to like within Ruins.

Into the Ocean are a small band hailing from Melbourne, Australia who set out to play a combination of harsh metalcore and ambient electronica, although their sound runs much deeper that that. But before you groan at the notorious genre, Into The Ocean perform this task effectively and without leaving a sour taste with the listener. It’s hard to differentiate them from similar bands such as Attack Attack! or Dream On, Dreamer but it would mostly be that Into The Ocean has an overall better song construction, and doesn’t just throw in synth breakdowns for the sake of it.

Having said that, they should be labeled as something separate than the aforementioned groups but to be honest, to weigh them down with a genre is to do them injustice and miss the point entirely. It’s because Into the Ocean blend genres so smoothly and seamlessly that any one label would be completely inaccurate in describing their sound to someone and really must be heard to understand. It might sound a little contradictory, but while Into The Ocean share similar aspects towards that sound of music, they perform it with a lot more sophistication.

Each member performs their instruments exceedingly well, with special mentions for the synth and vocals. Both are strong and well defined without coming off as a replica of an already existing band or being overly cliche. Song construction and lyrics are both above the average mean, giving the EP a good sense of progression and song themes.

My only problem with the EP is that they seem to cover too many genres at once and aim a little too high. For example, the opening track ‘Migration’ starts off sounding like an indie rock band, following that ‘Idiots Of Noise’ is the most techno and electronica influenced, whereas ‘Atalanta Fugien’ is definitely the most metal sounding track. This is by no means a bad thing, as it gives the record an immense amount of variety, but it also leaves the listener worrying if the band can nail down their specific sound for a possible debut album.

To put things simply, due to their expansive genre experimentation and lack of boundaries there is a high chance that you will find something to like within Ruins. This bunch of musicians are surely talented, and should be checked out for fans of metal, rock or electro. I am greatly looking forward to hearing a full album sometime soon.

MGMT MGMTCode Orange Love Is Love // Return To Dust
The Amity Affliction Chasing GhostsThe Faceless Autotheism
Will Haven Voir DirePsycroptic The Inherited Repression

November 16th 2010

Now that I've finished high school (my last exam was yesterday) I have a lot more time on my hands, to which I can contribute more reviews. As usual, I would love some feedback on this. Also, props to Vooligan for recommending these guys to me.

Captain North
November 16th 2010

I'm more than a little weary of another aussie synth-core band, considering House vs Hurricane.

November 16th 2010

I think these guys are much better than HvH.

November 16th 2010

36 don't worry, this is nothing like H vs. H.

Migration and Atlanta Fugien ROOOOOOOOOOL

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

Comatorium.
November 16th 2010

anyone have a link to this? cant find it on demonoid and gbs is useless with this one

Digging: Silverstein - This is How the Wind Shifts: Addendum

Here's their myspace:

Jruined
November 17th 2010

Got all excited when I saw this, thinking that the Japanese band Ruins had a new album out. Sounds interesting though so I'll give it a go.

Digging: Earth - Primitive and Deadly

sexpoi
November 18th 2010

sounds pretty cool ill give this a listen. good review too

February 18th 2011

THIS IS MY ORCHESTRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

YOU ARE MY FINAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEE

February 18th 2011

That song is fucking ridiculous. I love it.

June 30th 2011

Apparently these guys called it quits due to not having done anything for a few years. Fucking gutted, they had such
talent.

JJmcJizzle
October 13th 2011

love migrations. Brilliant intro to a good album. Shame these guys broke up. I never got to see 'em live.

iambandersnatch
February 19th 2012

This sounds solid after a couple listens. They have genre similarities to Sky Eats Airplane (metal/screams/electronica) but really sound nothing like them. It's sad that these guys AND Sky Eats Airplane have both broken up.

Anyone know of anything halfway decent like this or SEA that still exists? Seems like most bands that play this combination are awful so it's slim pickings.