Fleshgod Apocalypse
Mafia

by Gigglesdemon USER (31 Reviews)
November 9th, 2010 | 25 replies | 14,456 views

Review Summary: Fleshgod Apocalypse releases a solid EP that whets your appetite for classical music and brutal death metal mashups.

Fleshgod Apocalypse is a technical brutal death metal band from Italy, and they fuse their brand of death metal with some classical elements and sections.

Fleshgod Apocalypse is on this EP:
Tommaso Riccardi- Vocals and Guitars
Paolo Rossi- Vocals and Bass
Cristiano Trionferra- Vocals and Guitars
Francesco Paoli- Drums, Guitars, and Vocals
Francesco Ferinni- Piano

The opening track of this five song EP shows pretty much EXACTLY what Fleshgod is all about. “Thru Our Scars” opens with a barrage of drums and guitar. Then, it transitions into a short period of a violin group playing. It then goes back to the brutal riffing and drumming you encountered briefly and carries that throughout the rest of the song. But do not expect pure brutality all the way through interspersed with classical bits. In fact, the title track and outro, “Mafia,” is an entirely orchestral piece of haunting beauty. Also, it is surprisingly catchy at times. The chorus of “Abyssal” is probably the catchiest death metal chorus I’ve ever heard, and it WILL get stuck in your head for a long period of time.

The classical pieces are interspersed well, because Fleshgod Apocalypse is primarily, a death metal band. Do not expect huge amounts of time devoted to classical bits, but it will always fit well at the moment. The outro of “Abyssal” is great, with the guitar playing a slow melody over an orchestral background, and this song is probably the pattern for which all Fleshgod songs should follow. This outro also transitions great into the next song, “Conspiracy of Silence.” In fact, the transitions are great on all the songs, none of them feel jarring or out of place. Even transferring into the cover song works well. Speaking of the cover song, “Blinded by Fear,” it is probably the best At The Gates cover I’ve ever heard and it does justice to the original while still taking a new take on the material. And then abrupt works well, and followed by the beautiful, haunting, and melancholic “Mafia” makes all the previous brutal material almost take on a different light.

I have to make a special mention of the lead guitarists, Tommaso and Cristiano. They create lots of beautiful and technical riffs that are fantastic and well played. Every song just gleams from their impressive riffing and soloing. The drummer, Francesco Paoli, is a machine. He plays with technicality and brutality, unrelenting in his drumming.

With all this praise, my one real negative comment is that the EP leaves me wanting more. I want more of the technical, brutal, beautiful metal. While that is good, I feel it is a little too short, even for an EP. Also, apparently, this EP is dedicated to the fight against organized crime, which I applaud the guys for.

Pros:
Great technical playing
Orchestral parts are haunting and beautiful
Insane drumming

Cons:
Too short

Standout Track:
Abyssal is easily the best track, but Mafia is also hauntingly beautiful, so it gets the second slot.

Nobuo Uematsu Final Fantasy VI: Original SoundtrackHuntress Spell Eater
Holy Terror Terror and SubmissionLegend (USA) From the Fjords
Manilla Road Atlantis RisingVyrion Vyrion

Wizard

19206 Comments

Fix the 3rd paragraph.

Decent review, these guys bore me.

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

Scrambled
November 9th 2010

Nice review, love this EP, but I like thru our scars and blinded by fear the best, not to take anything away from abyssal though

November 9th 2010

Blinded By Fear cover fucking slays.

Scrambled
November 9th 2010

Yep, its ball-kicking good. the drummer really drives the song along, moreso than the atg version upon comparison...it rocks

jingledeath
November 10th 2010

this got boring really fast

JizzInMyPants
November 10th 2010

ending to abbysal is fucking epic and the cover rocks but yeah ORacles >>>> by a long shot they really simplified the song writing on this EP

A7XEric
November 10th 2010

Conspiracy of Silence is absolutely bludgeoning.

These guys are awesome though. Only thing I wish they were better at was meshing their classical parts with their death metal parts rather them being very fragmented and disjointed from one another.

ZippaThaRippa
November 10th 2010

Cover was awesome but most of the album doesn't live up to the slaughterfest of oracles

Gigglesdemon
November 10th 2010

True, Oracles is better than this, but that doesn't take away from how good this EP is. I loved all the songs on here, but since there are only 5, I couldn't pick all of them, I needed to pick the two standouts, so I chose Abyssal and Mafia.

ImpendingSpoon321
November 10th 2010

good review for an awesome ep. can't wait for the second album

iamthenightmare
November 10th 2010

good review pretty much agree with everything

toolguitarkid
November 16th 2010

saw them last week and picked this up. Amazingly catchy stuff for it being death metal. really enjoying this.

Defeater
January 5th 2011

slaughter

Defeater
February 1st 2011

double bass at the end of "Abyssal"

holy lawd

srm90
May 3rd 2011

They need to release a new full length soon. I've been listening to this EP over and over.

brutebeard

June 23rd 2011

Well, looks like I got my wish. New album this August. :D

ToMMyMiL116
January 15th 2012

The drumming on this ep is fucking downright relentless.

ToMMyMiL116
January 15th 2012

Thru our scars is my favorite off this.