Norma Jean
Meridional

by Ironing USER (3 Reviews)
November 6th, 2010 | 42 replies | 4,813 views

Review Summary: Norma Jean releases their best album yet and keeps the Normachine a chuggin'

Good Ole Norma Jean. I have loved you since Bless the Martyr, I went through your clean break with Scogin, I held on anxiously waiting to hear your new vocalist, I stood strong through your Botch days, and I embraced you for vs. The Anti-Mother. Then you announced you would be "returning to your roots" and that was a blow for me. One of my favorite bands announcing they were planning on regressing after so much progress? I was not going to stand for it! I tweeted for days telling you not to listen to the critics of vs. The Anti-Mother and to move on with the musical road you had been paving for yourself, and what did I get at the end of all this? Your best album to date.

Meridional, in my opinion, is the perfect blend of the past four Norma Jean albums. Rather than "returning to their roots" the band took bits and pieces of their past and put them together to pave a way for their future. Meridional was the kick start Norma Jean was needing to kick the Normachine into gear and believe me when I say this album delivers a punch to your eardrums.

Guitar riffs are mmm mmm good in Meridional. Much like any other Norma Jean release the guitarists ability to write catchy, definable riffs have placed the band leagues above other bands in terms or memorability. You could play me any section from a Norma Jean and I can without a doubt name the song and album for you. The guitars are driving when they need to be and relaxed and ambient when the time suits it.

Unlike most people it seems I happen to enjoy the instrumental tracks on the album. While some would say they are filler I'd beg to differ, there is a reason why they are put there and I don't see how they break up the flow of the album at all, if anything it gives it a new sonic level and helps Meridional branch out.

Amongst people I know I will always get flak for saying this, but I LOVE Cory Brandan's vocal abilities. His voice is dirty, it's weird, it's nasty, and it's oh so good. There is passion in this man's throat and he lets it ring out like few can do. Whether he's talking, yelling, or screaming you can tell he truly is in tune with the message he is delivering and it's a remarkable experience to hear his conviction filled yells cut through the perfect anthems the band have put together.

A few key parts you can't miss on this album, the ending breakdown to The Anthem of the Angry Brides is hard hitting and forces itself into your head. The last 2:00 of Blood Burner is insane, I'll leave it at that. High Noise Low Input is catchy as hell and a very powerful song, and finally, Falling From The Sky: Day Seven is one of the best songs the band has ever written, it builds and builds and builds into an end that will not dissatisfy.

We should all be excited for the Normachine.

• Benjamino Jackanory (4)
    Supremely unique, if flawed, mathcore....

BrodieGron (4)
    Stop complaining, listen and you'll find a great album, a perfect mixture of the 3 previou...

stillexist (3)
    Might be time for the band to hang it up and go live the dreaded "normal" life...

jitteryzeitgeist (3.5)
    Meri...merd...din...dinnal.... Norma Jeans newest is a pretty good ragtag metalcore romp f...

• Andrew H. EMERITUS (3)
    Not quite the 'return to roots' promised in the lead-up to the record's release, but rathe...

fromtheinside (3)
    The band does try branching out every now and again, but the downside is the moments are t...

Xenophanes
November 6th 2010

Er okay. It's a good, not great, second review. It's always risky to use first person, so I'd try to not do that, it makes your review lose credibility. Other than that, decent attempt.

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

WhiteWallStargazers
November 6th 2010

Too fanboy-ish, and really, the anti-mother is awful. Scogin era forever

November 6th 2010

Guitar riffs are mmm mmm good in Meridional

lol

Digging: Astronauts - Hollow Ponds

Xenophanes
November 6th 2010

Haha, how did I miss that!

Obfuscation24
November 6th 2010

Norma Jean's Meridonial is brought to you by Campbell's Soup. Mm mm good.

Normachine

Comatorium.
November 7th 2010

shut the fuck up. this review makes me want to hit you.

FreePizzaDay
November 7th 2010

No problems with the review really, except how do you type the word "Normachine" and not kick yourself?

loveisamixtape

lol 5

Digging: Keep - Hypnosis for Sleep

November 7th 2010

Norma Jean is like a guilty pleasure for me haha, so yes this is the only band you'll see fan boyish reviews of.

And they actually call themselves Normachine, I used it alot cause I laugh each time I type it.

November 7th 2010

Can't claim these guys as a guilty pleasure when you rate them a 5.

It also doesn't help that you rated a "The Chariot" album a 5 as well.

americanmusicmachine
November 7th 2010

the chariot roolz mr. garnett

November 7th 2010

And Long Live deserves that 5.

November 7th 2010

"I think I just have a thing for any band Scogin has ever had a hand in. So maybe that's the root of my problems.

And Long Live deserves that 5.

But I shall do us all a favor and never review an album related to The Chariot or Norma Jean again."

That's not what I was saying, but okay, whatever you want to do.

November 7th 2010

I'm too tired for this, I felt like you were being condescending earlier.

I was.

Well. Shit.

No thanks

November 7th 2010

What does whale shit have to do with anything?

It.....nvm