Matt and Kim
Sidewalks

by Eno USER (34 Reviews)
November 4th, 2010 | 41 replies

Review Summary: Matt and Kim kinda create their best record yet….cool beans.

In the journey of accepting a band like Matt and Kim, one must accept the fact that this is a band that takes no fucking risks. I mean, really, this band is just constantly releasing the same goddamn homogenous indie pop records with those buzzy synthesizers and overzealous vocals. They have the easiest job in the world, in which they produce records that are quirky and cheerful(i.e. they be themselves). That's not to say they haven't improved over the years; their debut was their most "raw" release, combining frenetic vocals over the most simple synth-punk instrumentation imaginable. Grand took that basic backdrop and added production, layered vocals and more detailed melodies. The record managed to retain the youthfulness of their debut, with tracks like "Daylight" succumbing the listener with its own twisted cuteness. It was a kickass record.

Sidewalks is a kickass record. Instrumentally, it's incredible. They up the synths to brilliant effect, creating little symphonies of happiness on tracks such as "Red Paint". Kim doesn't exactly outdo previous works or reach new percussive heights, but her punchy beats keep sentimental tracks such as "Good for Great" upbeat and enjoyable. Matt's vocals are also more or less on par with Grand, if not tamed a bit on songs such as "Northeast". Occasionally his vocal lines tend to blend in with the instrumentation, leaving the record a little bland and failing to retain some of the idiosyncratic deliveries that made their last LP such a great record. However it's ultimately no different than their other records, with a few knockout songs and the rest consistently Matt and Kim-sounding. "Wires" shows the band reaching a peak of musicianship, with Matt's optimistic crooning echoing over warm synths and welcoming beats. It's their most fervently produced record yet, in which their rather stale style of music is revamped through detailed sound production.

Many could complain about Matt and Kim's inability to do anything new or interesting on this record. Those people should not listen to Matt and Kim. Their music will always be heart-warming in the sense that they will never change and go inaccessible on us. They appease our guilty desires of not wanting the wheel reinvented. Their albums are the musical equivalent of romantic comedy films and if Grand was their "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", Sidewalks is most definitely their "Love Actually". And if you can embrace such generic feel-good art such as the previously mentioned, you'll love this album. If you like Matt and Kim, you'll love this album.

Beau Navire HoursWeekend Nachos Worthless
Raekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-TangTim Hecker Ravedeath, 1972
Palmkite The Sound Of SnowfallEmeralds Does It Look Like I'm Here?
3.2
good

November 4th 2010

this started out as a 3.5 until I realized how much i love them and romantic comedies

point out typos, will further edit

Irving
November 4th 2010

Great review mate. Pos. I really like how to-the-point and simplistic (yet sophisticated) it is.

Good as always, Eno. Pos

cheers dude, much appreciated

klap
November 4th 2010

might review this, excellent review

Digging: Caribou - Our Love

SeaAnemone

20587 Comments

was gonna review this good thing I didn't because you said everything I was gonna say NICE JOB

Digging: Dirty Beaches - Stateless

RosaParks

3.0 good Pitchfork Media | November 3rd 10

oh

much appreciated gentlemen.

it's pretty lulz that p4k has its own sputnik, i wonder if its an actual writer on the site who operates that account or whether somebody is just very bored.

RosaParks
November 4th 2010

it's the head of pitchfork that decides everything in the world

SeaAnemone

20587 Comments

given a few more weeks at the rate I've been listening to this and it'll definitely manage to squeak in on the back end of my top 25 of the year.

"Wires" and "AM/FM Sound" are superb, but what really turns me on about this is how surprisingly consistent it is... very few bumps.

November 4th 2010

yeah Wires is incredible. i die and rebirth every time I hear the synth line on "Good for Great"

yeah man

November 4th 2010

i honestly have no fucking idea

because i like it though it'll probably end up as a 3.5 for you

it means that you give a 3.5 to everything that i write a positive review for

and the books : /

but check it out regardless, it's fun as shit

SwagChef

good review. pos'd

thanks

DiceMan
November 4th 2010

Nice man, matt and kim rule.

i don't believe so

also before you get this you should check out their album Grand

maxmousemm2000
November 4th 2010

is this obnoxious hipster drivel?