Escape the Fate
Escape the Fate

good

by Alexd93 USER (12 Reviews)
November 3rd, 2010 | 40 replies

Review Summary: Definitely their best...thats not saying much though

Artist: Escape the Fate
Album: Self-titled
Date: November 2, 2010
Label: Interscope

Escape the Fate certainly are an interesting band; their original lead singer, Ronnie Radke, was asked to leave the band due to his run-ins with the law and eventually they replaced him with ex-blessthefalls singer Craig Mabbitt; they dress like scene kids that grew up idolizing the attire of ‘80s glam metal; and their eclectic influences help make them a bit more interesting than their peers. Now, by no means are they rewriting rock music like they claim or really doing anything that could be called original but it is fun to hear them play post-hardcore with pop, metal, and screamo sensibilities. Also, on numerous occasions they throw in guitar solos that give Dragonforce a run for their money (See “Massacre”, “Prepare Your Weapon”, and “World Around Me”). While this all may be good it makes them a very confusing band that often loses focus. Their last album, 'This war is Ours', was simply put, a catastrophic mess that lacked any focus and, with the exception of a few tracks, very little originality. Now with a new record label (DGC/Interscope Records) and producer Don Gilmore (Linkin Park, Bullet For My Valentine, & Hollywood Undead) Escape the Fate have released a self-titled album that isn’t as much a change in sound as it is a refinement of previous efforts.

They still have the same sound of 'This War is Ours' but two things make 'Escape The Fate' a better album: first off, the production of Don Gilmore compliments the bands ambitions almost perfectly. The heavier moments sound intense, it’s easy to hear the heaviness of Bullet for my valentine pop up in certain places, while the lighter moments have a certain depth that gives them added power (the lead single “issues” sounds heavier than it actually is while the ballad “World Around Me” contains a tasteful orchestra arrangement). Second, the band has learned how to make their album more focused and sound comfortable rather than forced or awkward. 'This War is Ours' featured songs (or people) that sounded out of place (yes I’m looking at you Josh Todd), Here the songs flow smoothly into each other until you get to the previously mentioned ballad, “World Around Me”, but even then it’s not a big enough change to ruin the momentum, it actually leads off perfectly into the final track, “The Aftermath (The Guillotine III)”.

The band still isn’t original enough to be called great, they always insist on having horrible cover art, and in the middle of the album the songs start to blur together, but when it comes down to the music they seem to know where their strengths lie. Definitely won’t win over any skeptics but it’s still a good post-hardcore album that has something to offer every fan of the genre.

Highlights: “Massacre”, “World Around Me”, “The Aftermath (The Guillotine III)”

Underoath DisambiguationMemphis May Fire Between the Lies
The Beatles Please Please MeThe Beatles Revolver
The Beatles Magical Mystery TourThe Devil Wears Prada Zombie
1.9
poor
P.J. Quinones (2.5)
ETF record #3 calms your conscience from the scare of This War Is Ours, but doesn’t dish out the r...

Henomeister (3)
Compared to This War Is Ours, this album is great. But compared to recent metalcore releases, this i...

Sam Cowen (2.5)
Escape The Fate continue to anger old fans and critics alike, by going further away from their origi...

macLOFFlyn (2.5)
Escape the Fate deliver a cohesive album this time around, but they are by no means "rewriting rock ...

shortone323
November 3rd 2010

I really, really doubt that this is their best album. Band has been awful ever since they got Mabbit. I don't think I'm going to bother listening to this.

November 3rd 2010

I prefer Radke and i think the Theres no sympathy for the dead EP is better than all their albums but out of the albums this is their best

November 3rd 2010

Is it just me or does the title on the album cover have a font that looks like something the power rangers would've used!?

MassiveAttack

It's morphin time!

November 3rd 2010

i dont see how anyone could have this perspective on this album

November 3rd 2010

Well whats your perspective?

Xenophanes
November 3rd 2010

"make them a bit more interesting that their peers"
should be "than that of their peers" or "than their peers."

This War is Ours needs to have quotation marks or be italicized. Not to mention you didn't capitalize a lot of things that need to be capitalized.

This is a very good review being held back by very strange, and very fixable grammar errors.

I didnt proof read

November 3rd 2010

my perspective is that they could not become any worse.

lyrics of issues

"This is the death of me.
i feel it constantly
just like an enemy
that wants to see me bleed"

enough said

November 3rd 2010

Good point! Probably shouldve mentioned their lyrics are very cliche...ohwell

November 3rd 2010

If you're gonna 'neg me please give me a valid reason so i can improve

Crymsonblaze
November 3rd 2010

Loved DIYLF, but didn't like TWIO at all; a little hesitant to listen to this but I might give it a shot.

November 3rd 2010

If you didnt like TWIO then you wont like this

November 3rd 2010

i did not neg. the reviews not bad but it's a little lacking in depth and i disagree with it so much that i can't in all honesty pos :P

November 3rd 2010

Well as long as you didnt neg me your good. Thanx for the opinion.

SCREAMorphine
November 3rd 2010

What were they thinking with the album art, has got to be the worst this year
good review though

Xenophanes
November 3rd 2010

I didn't neg either, but proof reading needs to be done before submitting. If you don't care enough to proof read, then why should I care to read/not neg? See what I'm saying? Your writing proves you're better than that.

ThePalestMexican
November 3rd 2010

The cover looks like something from a Japanese band

November 3rd 2010

I know i know but i get so excited about posting my reviews that sometimes i forget the little stuff like that. It wont happen again. Thanks for the compliments though.