Alexisonfire
Dog's Blood

by Pistol Pete USER (32 Reviews)
November 2nd, 2010 | 94 replies | 23,375 views

Review Summary: Dog's Blood actually tastes okay, who would've known?

Waiting for this latest EP by Alexisonfire was as painful as waiting for Lupe Fiasco’s “Lasers” to come out (still waiting): lots of hype, lots of promise...and lots of delays and rescheduling. This was promised way back when “Old Crows/Young Cardinals” came out in the summer of 2009, and was supposed to be released earlier this year. Their latest LP excited me so much as we saw a band so close to running the risk of descending into blandness, emerge with a brand new sound and fresh energy. Dallas Green’s voice was somehow more heavenly, George adapted his deteriorating voice to suit the new grungier music style, and Wade all of a sudden saw greater involvement vocally. All in all, I had very high expectations for this EP, even at only 4 tracks.

The tracks are relatively meaty, some of Alexisonfire’s longest to date, the idea being that they are trying to incorporate a more atmospheric, moodier sound. It’s even more of a mosh-pit sound for them, with ridiculous riffs (see the title-track Dog’s Blood, as well as Black As Jet), and much less of Dallas than we are used to. However, many of the trends we have seen thus far have continued, including Wade’s increasing contribution.

For the most part, the album has a fresh new feel to it. “Grey” is a catchy head-banger where George offers up wavy lyrics consisting of small doses of echoing screams with little pauses in between that help listeners feel the effect of the lurching guitars. They even inject a little of the grungy Silversun Pickups sound in here as well by subtly adding screaming guitars that poke out in the background of the overall heavy track. “Black As Jet” is faster-paced than the rest of the album, but Alexisonfire differentiates the track from the rest of the EP by holding the crunchy guitars for longer after each little set, making for an atmospheric and ear-pounding post-hardcore sound that confidently trails off into the distance when the tracks finishes.

The only real letdown on the album is the opener, hence why I saved it to talk about later. At 6 minutes flat, “Dog’s Blood” kicks off with a mischievous riff and George wailing in an almost incomprehensible rush of screaming lyrics. I've always had difficulty deciphering the words George growls, but in this track it's simply unfair. His vocals are so drowned out it's like listening to Jacob Bannon. Then the pace softens to give Dallas Green really his only moment to show off his voice on this EP where he preaches “In Dog’s Blood, we will all drown”. What should have been a highlight on the album, Dallas Green’s line instead has this uncomfortable generic feeling to it. This is warranted I feel, as the same technique was used in “Rough Hands” where Dallas substitutes loudness in order to show a sensitive side. Here, it contributes nothing really except a feeling of nostalgia for another song. The song isn't exactly terrible though, it's just typical. This little lapse in originality is forgotten though when George and Dallas both share vocals on the wild last two minutes of the song.

When the purely instrumental, but no less brooding, ending track “Vex” trails off, it’s clear that Alexisonfire are still not satisfied with where they are, and are constantly striving to evolve their sound. This latest EP is a whole new identity for them. It still reminds us of the older sound, but with enough here that is fresh to set it apart from even the very different-sounding “Old Crows/Young Cardinals”. My expectations were not met however with the title-track. It’s strong, but too generic and messy to fully enjoy and appreciate. The overall sound is also not as crisp as a lot of hard rock bands are becoming, and while it was a solid four tracks, it’s just too difficult at some points to hear what George is screaming, making the production quality a bit questionable. I’m still so impressed with this band, and they will continue to be one of my favourites, and I’m sure most lingering fans will appreciate this album too.

The Mire Glass CathedralsChevelle This Type of Thinking (Could Do Us In)
Obscure Sphinx Void MotherJolly The Audio Guide to Happiness (Part 1)
Chevelle La GargolaLeprous Bilateral
Ecnalzen (3)
Quite possibly the last thing we will ever hear from Alexisonfire, which is unfortunately not their ...

Jonathan ONeal (3.5)
Dogs Blood washes away Old Crows and Young Cardinals, Watch Out! ...Not Really, but it is good....

David Driver (1)
About as disturbing and revolting as actual dog's blood....

Iamthe Nightstars
November 2nd 2010

Better than Old Crows, and that's pretty much all that matters.

Digging: Few And Far Between - Three

RosaParks

This is really good

supertouchox2
November 2nd 2010

this reads as a 3.5 I think, but nice review anyway.

excited to hear this.

ShadowRemains

20534 Comments

will check this out

Digging: Banks - Goddess

November 2nd 2010

Thought I'd advertise Chevelle a bit as a recommended artist, I almost always do haha

Digging: Jolly - The Audio Guide to Happiness (Part 2)

Mordecai.

this better be good

vakuola

Loved this

November 2nd 2010

The song Grey has word-for-word lyrics from the song Young Cardinals: "nicotine babies being born with no spine"

RosaParks
November 2nd 2010

Vex is an amazing fucking song.

ANewTypeOfPunk
November 2nd 2010

is this in any way similar to OC/YC? because if it is please warn me now so I can not listen to this. Alexisonfire used to be my favourite band until that release, and then i completely stopped following them.

i do listen to watchout! constantly though. their best album evar

Aids
November 2nd 2010

Can't you not review something that hasn't been streaming before it's release date?

Because these might get deleted for being posted to early.

Album is dope though.

November 2nd 2010

Album art is very un-Alexis like

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

SHAKEandBAKE

I actually love Dallas' bit in Dog's Blood

Spec
November 2nd 2010

Great review. They got good again!

Digging: Rinoa - An Age Among Them

November 2nd 2010

This album has been able to be downloaded digitally off Itunes for like 3 days now - the release date is wrong here. I'm in the process of fixing that, next time check Wikipedia or something.

November 2nd 2010

Honestly this is A LOT different from what they've done in the past. The voices can barely be heard over the guitars it's really strange, almost like the production was done in like 1995 or something. But still amazing.

Scoot

Band's back

Awesomesauce
November 3rd 2010

Really? This is good news. I'll have to pick this up on the way home.

tombits
November 3rd 2010

sounds much more like crisis than anything else, it's good. getting a huge trophy scars bad news-era vibe from "grey", mostly because of the vocals sounding eerily similar. the production is perfect by the way, don't know what the reviewer is talking about.

Deathcar
November 3rd 2010

Shit rules. I love the way they've branched out a bit on this one...though I'm mostly happy it's nothing like OC/YC.