65daysofstatic
Heavy Sky

by Eli EMERITUS
November 1st, 2010 | 43 replies

Review Summary: With two official releases, and a hefty overhaul in their sound, 65daysofstatic has been the post-rock band to talk about in 2010.

What started with humble beginnings as a three piece out of Sheffield, England, has grown into one of post-rock’s most consistently intriguing acts. Sure, 65daysofstatic do not have the same mass appeal as many other acts in the genre, but the band has been picking up speed ever since their debut The Fall of Math in 2004. The band has always been able to keep listeners on their toes, as every release has seen a slight alteration of the their sound, for better or for worse. This was very much apparent on their effort earlier this year, We Were Exploding Anyway. Featuring oppressive electronics and dance beats, the album marked a drastic shift in the band’s sound, and with their latest EP Heavy Sky, that sound is clearly here to stay.

Shedding their math rock influences, and buffering their post rock aesthetics, the band has evolved into something very different, and yet they feel completely at home. It’s truly a delight to hear a band being so comfortable with experimentation, as Heavy Sky is a very tight and self assured affair. Completely unafraid to break their genre constrictions, 65dos has made 2010 their stage, showcasing their bold yet refreshing alteration. Like its predecessor We Were Exploding Anyway, Heavy Sky features a much more electronic side of the band. It’s an incredibly meaty experience, consisting of seven songs with a run time of nearly thirty minutes. There is quite a bit of content for a mere extended play, with much of said content being of very high quality.

For anyone following 65dos, this change in style should come as no surprise. After all, the band has been dabbling in electronic experimentation for years now. And while Heavy Sky is not a complete return to the days of old, certain selections seem to have a more toned down vibe. Featuring less dance beats, the latter half delivers a more classic post-rock sound. Tracks such as “Pacify” and “PX3” feature fleshed out piano and guitar, relying less on the beats and glitches. Both tracks are quite beautiful, and the sound is a great stylistic melding of traditional post-rock and upbeat electronica. Truth be told, they do not really mesh with the rest of the album, as the stylistic difference is rather jarring. Regardless, this does not prevent “PX3” from being one of the EP’s finest tracks.

While the previously mentioned selections differ in execution, tracks like “Tiger Girl” feature quick tempos, infectious beats, and an insurmountable amount of personality and character. There’s been a lot of contention with this new direction, but “Tiger Girl” is incredibly refreshing, and there is little else like it in the genre, making it a very worthwhile listen. The more rock aspects underlie the dense techno soundscape, with the rich atmosphere bolstering the digital aesthetics, making the track a perfect opener to the EP. The following tracks, “Sawtooth Rising” and “The Wrong Shape” each have their own respective style, but are in the same vein as the opening track. Very stylistic in their execution, and catchy as hell, the songs are impossible to not tap one’s foot to. Yet it is “Guitar Cascades” that offers the EP’s most peculiar track. At ten minutes in length, it is the longest song on Heavy Sky. It’s oddly ambient, utilizing much more static and glitches than any of the preceding songs, but somehow it feels very organic. In many ways, it's slightly reminiscent of their sophomore effort, One Time For All Time. The song is structured much like a standard post rock track, with the rise and fall, and a nicely placed climax. However, the electronic influences make it a very interesting listen, and a great way to close things out.

While it is a very successful EP, it is not without it's faults. Aside from a wealth of new material,Heavy Sky literally offers nothing new. This doesn't offer a taste of what is to come, and it doesn't bridge a gap between releases, but rather, it merely sounds like left over material from We Were Exploding Anyway. No interesting concept and no radical experimentation make this EP a simple collection of songs. While the songs contained are rather great, this does not prevent most of Heavy Sky from sounding like a collection of B-sides.

Although fans seem to be split, 65daysofstatic have clearly hit their stride, which is made very apparent with Heavy Sky. This will not sway the detractors who found We Were Exploding Anyway to be vapid or gimmicky, but it’s clear that the band doesn’t care. And why should they? Heavy Sky is the sound of an inspired band loving what they do, and it is all the better because of it.

Fell Voices Regnum SaturniHammock Oblivion Hymns

November 1st 2010

A lot longer than I had intended. This is also my first review with italics!

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io

cvlts
November 1st 2010

sweet review bro. my rule on italics are song titles only but it works for this. good job!

Mr Fahrenheit

Nice review.

I can't wait to get this, I can't get enough of We Were Exploding Anyway

And, I read in an interview that this material is actually, in effect, "left over material from We Were Exploding"

November 1st 2010

For real? I was looking for an interview to confirm that, so perhaps I should go in and edit that?

Thanks, Genocide!

November 1st 2010

Haha, thanks man, but if you haven't noticed, no one cares about the new releases I review. This has seven ratings lol

Mr Fahrenheit
November 1st 2010

Interview: http://thequietus.com/articles/04973-news-quietus-exclusive-download-65-daysofstatic-track-from-new-ep-plus-q-a

Willie
November 1st 2010

Great review. This is the only one I've heard. Suggestions for number 2?

Deviant.
November 1st 2010

I don't normally rush out to pick up EPs or anything but I should probably grab this asap

Nice work as well

Digging: Objekt - Flatland

Deviant.

Get One Time For All Time Willie

Irving
November 1st 2010

A lot longer than I had intended. This is also my first review with italics!

Hurray for progression!! =D

Solid review mate. One of your best in quite a while =) That said, the ending comes off as a little "safe" and "generic" (not that there's anything wrong with that), but IMHO you have the clout and ability to end your review in a more "daring" way...if that makes any sense.

Cheers! And pos =)

November 1st 2010

Thanks for the nice comments everyone! I appreciate it!

Yeah Willie, get One Time For All Time, its very good.

November 1st 2010

Yeah, I should have ended this more "daring," but it was a tough review to write for some reason. I reworte it a few times, as I planned to have it out last week when it was released.

robertsona

band sucks

crazyblinddude
November 1st 2010

Nice review. I'm looking forward to giving this a listen later tonight. I'll let you know how it goes. More WWEA material doesn't sound too bad right now.

November 1st 2010

Yeah, it feels more like a mini-album rather than an EP, there's quite a bit of content here.

Aids
November 1st 2010

I want to get this and their older one, the files I dl'ed were all corrupted.

Digging: RATKING - So It Goes

MaskAtTheMasquerade
November 1st 2010

i'll be checking this out tonight-aHh

November 1st 2010

Really, I got a feature? Awesome, this is a first for me!

MassiveAttack

good job xeno =)

MrSnuffles
November 1st 2010

gud review, but I feel that you're trying too hard to say complicated things. "Shedding their math rock influences, and buffering their post rock aesthetics" could have been said much simpler...