The Shins
Chutes Too Narrow

by Thomas Bambaataa Ghidrah Towers USER (67 Reviews)
October 19th, 2005 | 57 replies | 18,409 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

I must say before the Shins I listened to absolutely no 'Indie' music before. There was one issue of Uncut magazine (Pink Floyd special!) that featured a free CD, most of it was crap but one track instantly captivated me, Saint Simon from this album. With its haunting yet cheerful melody, it's an elegantly decorated pop song hard to define by today's bland standards in mainstream music. But the stylishly retro sound that takes from jaunty Britpop to psychedelic former Pink Floyd front man Syd Barrett is toned down on Chutes too Narrow from their previous album Oh, Inverted World. Still, Chutes too Narrow doesn't disappoint. It could be even better than Oh, Inverted World with its eclectic sound varying from song to song.

The most appealing thing about the Shins at the first instant is their ability to create such remarkable melodies, very pure like... dare I say the Beatles! Songs like Kissing the Lipless, So Says I and Young Pilgrims are perfect examples. The first two are the first two singles released. They're two of the heaviest songs on this album, but still very light in that Indie Pop sort of way. Young Pilgrims is stripped down to acoustic guitars, with vocalist/guitarist James Mercer assuming a less emotional voice than his usual wailing voice. The third single Pink Bullets is also stripped down to an eerie simplicity, with a very calm, maybe even depressing mood. Pink Bullets like Gone for Good show the Shins' Country/Folk like song. I don't mind it for Pink Bullets, its soothing somberness outlined by the disheartened guitars and harmonica makes it a contender for best song on Chutes too Narrow. But unlike Pink Bullets Gone for Good is too slow for the album to not deliver anything special, and the pedal steel makes it a bit too country. Overall the second half of this album isn't as good or as interesting as the first.

Chutes too Narrow doesn't ever get repetitive, despite some weak songs. The songs and melodies still sound fresh to me; each song is easily at the least distinguishable. But Chutes too Narrow is also very short, another reason why the listener might not tire of listening to this a lot. At 33 minutes, with 10 songs, you can see the Shins popiness in song structures. Still, it's a solid album and is a definite buy for anyone who was a fan of Oh, Inverted World (though they may be a bit let down by the change, while others like it.) Also any fans of bands like The Decemberists, Death Cab for Cutie, even Elliott Smith, will probably like this Indie Pop album. Note that The Killers are not Indie in any way at all! The Shins cleverly craft various eras of music into short, great songs, without sounding like a rip-off of other bands (you know who you are, members of the Darkness!) Like the cover, the Shins' music may seem simple at first, but observe more carefully and you'll find more than expected...

Recommended Tracks:
Kissing the Lipless
Saint Simon
So Says I
Pink Bullets

Chutes Too Narrow-----------------> 3.5

(hope it wasn't too short...)

Pharoahe Monch DesireEl-P I'll Sleep When You're Dead
Jaylib Champion SoundMF DOOM MM.. Food
RZA Afro Samurai SoundtrackEloy Inside
Ben Thornburgh CONTRIBUTOR (4)
Perfectly crafted, charmingly awkward, a must own....

Luxor (4.5)

Rudd13

Pink Bullets, eh?

[quote=Galapogos]
(hope it wasn’t too short…)[/quote]

Poppycock. It was short and sweet, and your words inspire me to go check them out This Message Edited On 10.19.05

October 19th 2005

Was a wee bit too short. Good detail though. Could use more info on more songs, but other than that nice work.

Digging: Ricky Eat Acid - Three Love Songs

October 19th 2005

Oh bloody hell i contradicted Rudd. lol

pulseczar

no one contradicts Rudd!

i may add more to this, but ive seen short reviews like this that are just as good and people seem to like

October 19th 2005

Indeed. I think it's weird. I wrote track by tracks and labored over each song to make it respectable. I wrote 2 non t by t's and they took me about half an hour and people loved them. Weird....

masada

*golf clap*

:cool:

Zebra
October 19th 2005

Nice reivew. IMO "Oh, Inverted World" is much better than this.

"Pink Bullets" is an amazing track.

Jawaharal
October 19th 2005

Galapogos makes my reviews look like regurgatated jello

Jawaharal
October 21st 2005

OMG your weighted ranking is 66.6 :eek:

pulseczar
October 21st 2005

oh no!!! jesus doesn't love me :upset:

i'll be submitting a review soon though

ChairMaker
December 25th 2005

great review! what is up with "gone for good" though? it sounded like something id hear on the country music station. oh well. IMO the album started out amazing (kissing the lipless & young pilgrim) and kinda went downhill after a bit. still- The Shins deserve credit for putting out another amazing album!

branyangossard
January 31st 2006

Best Album of 2003

ForWhatItsWorth
March 23rd 2006

oooooo....this makes me want to go buy the cd!

The Jungler
July 13th 2006

Goddamn, Kissing the Lipless is so good. Oh! Inverted world has been on my "to get" list for forever, but this looks good too.This Message Edited On 07.13.06

astrel
July 13th 2006

Jesus this album rocks...the intro to Kissing the Lipless is creative enough to almost make the Flaming Lips jealous.

Blackbird
October 11th 2006

I really enjoy this album.. one of my favourite modern bands.. there aren't too many i like

whj247
October 14th 2006

one of the best albums i've heard. deserves far better than a 3.5 in my opinion.

here comes the bird flu

Gone for Good ftw

Zmev
October 22nd 2006

I'm gonna go ahead and breakup the omg teh shinz chain.

here comes the bird flu