Daath
Daath

by Eli Kleman EMERITUS
October 25th, 2010 | 22 replies | 10,125 views

Review Summary: While an improvement overall, little quirks and miscues keep Daath's self-titled from achieving excellence.

To be completely honest, the appeal of Daath has always escaped me. While not expressly bad, Daath have ceased to truly grab my attentions with a worthwhile release. Their brand of groovy death metal has always been fairly intriguing, but never particularly arresting, especially with their gimmicky digitalization and industrial work. Yet Daath are a fairly young band, having only released their first LP merely six years ago. However, their growth and progression can be likened to a steady crawl. Fortunately, the five piece has learned some tricks, albeit very few tricks, with their self-titled album.

To but it plainly, "Daath" is a very straight forward metal experience. The tones and tempos are what one would expect from the band, as well as many other bands from the genre. That is not to be taken as a terrible thing, as Daath seem to pull everything together fairly well. However, the band has a difficult time escaping the more generic aspects of American death metal. At times there can be a disgusting amount of chugging, while the drummer uses blast beats to an insane degree. It’s novel in it’s execution, but offers little in the way of a new experience. From a technical aspect, Daath does an amiable job. While not featuring blatant feats of technicality, "Daath" has its interesting moments. Once again, nothing new, but impressive none the less, especially in context to the music.

Another improvement on "Daath" is its emphasis on variety and diversity. The more digital aspects have been toned down, creating a less gimmicky sound, with a slightly tighter production than before. The band has thankfully done away with most of their industrial influences, and opted for a more straightforward metal. As a whole, the product sounds better than ever. With a few more tricks from the guitarists, and a little better range in respect to the vocals, "Daath" is a sign of growth, even if only slightly. The band is less likely to segue into fits of chugging and bellowing, as songs such as “Oxygen Burn” feature more concise soloing, and an atmospheric ending.

The song choices are fairly strong on "Daath", however, at times the album can sound a tad homogeneous. It takes more than one listen-through to be able to discern between songs, as everything seems to muddle together at times. The emphasis on variety and diversity helps with this issue, but the problem is still present in parts of the album. It is a grower for sure, but the band does a nice enough job at keeping things interesting throughout. “Arch (Enemy), Misanthrope” features a lot of instrumental work and texturing, which makes it a nice song to standout amongst the rest. Both the opener and closer are placed perfectly on "Daath", as they offer a great introduction and closing.

"Daath" is a fine addition to a rather blasé catalogue. It’s groove infused brand of death metal may not offer anything new, but it’s certainly a novel take on a well trodden sound. Sure Daath aren’t breaking new ground, but the album is a solid endeavor none the less. It lacks maturity and refinement, but is a decently great time regardless.

Saintseneca Dark ArcHave A Nice Life The Unnatural World
Thee Silver Mount Zion Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light on EverythingFell Voices Regnum Saturni
Hammock Oblivion HymnsMount Eerie Pre-Human Ideas

Xenophanes
October 26th 2010

I'm trying to improve my "short but informative review"skills. Criticism would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Digging: Saintseneca - Dark Arc

Xenophanes
October 26th 2010

Personally, it's really not "physical copy"worthy, as this is probably closer to a 3.25 for me.

Ulsufyring

these guys need to write like 7 less songs per album
and just fine tune the rest

bassfiender

Really nice review
I think that you describe Daath perfectly
They need less American in their death metal

ConsiderPhlebas
October 26th 2010

You're a reviewing machine. Good work, as ever.

Metalstyles
October 26th 2010

nice review, though I might still put out my own version too if I have the time. There's two things I disagree on: 1) the chugging isn't really that constant on this release and the guitarists do a nice job of mixing things up this time around 2) the industrial undertones were already out of the picture on The Concealers, but you make it sound like this is the first release of their that doesn't feature them, which is wrong tbh.

Digging: Metsatoll - Karjajuht

October 26th 2010

Great band, but from their last two albums they've always excelled in lead/solo writing but the rest of their songs get boring quickly. Will check this out.

Digging: He Is Legend - I Am Hollywood

October 26th 2010

Listening to this now and it seems like my predictions were correct

daath

ffs

daath matal

October 26th 2010

Album's pretty good overall though, definitely picked up after the first few songs. Easily their best album.

Jebull
October 26th 2010

So is it worth downloading?

Willie
October 27th 2010

I liked their last album, but not the ones before it. I read that this was supposed to be darker and heavier, but it seems that a band has lied again.

Digging: Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism

October 27th 2010

The formula isn't much different on this true, which was a bit of my beef initially. But I'm glad there are more leads and groovey bits than before. The guitarists went to MIT for heaven's sake, this shouldn't even be an issue.

Willie
October 27th 2010

I appreciated the industrial influence so I'm kind of hesitant to listen to this at all.

October 27th 2010

If you liked the last album, this should be no different I'd say.

devouredbymetal
November 10th 2010

solos are good...but thats just about it.

6Dark6Cell6
December 10th 2010

I gotta get my hands on this

chug73
December 23rd 2010

Double Tap Suicide is awesome.

chug73
December 23rd 2010

Double Tap Suicide is awesome.