Ghost B.C.
Opus Eponymous

by Tim Verhoeff USER (19 Reviews)
October 25th, 2010 | 20 replies | 24,949 views

Review Summary: All hail the new black. Forget about saving your soul and embrace all the evil Ghost brings.

Take a 70's Rock band, make them listen to NWOBHM, teach them a few Mercyful Fate songs, replace their singer with a Pink Floyd fan and lock them all up in a satanic cult for a few years. Sounds strange to you? Well, that's the best way I can describe Ghost.

Ghost is a band from Sweden that started in 2008. They became 'famous' when Fenriz from Darkthrone named them his band of the week on his blog in april of 2010. They have since then put out a 7" and now there is Opus Eponymous. So was Fenriz right or is this all bark and no bite?

The first thing you notice is that these guys are very serious about their 'Satanic' imagery. Just take a look at the artwork and the band photo that features a grimreaper like priest. Even when they play live they dress up in robes, think Sunn O))), and the singer is dressed like the priest on the cover of the album. And they don't just draw the line there. Lyrically this cd sound like a 70's version of black metal. Remember those old Hammer Horror Movies? Well, all the stuff that happened in those movies is lyrical content on this cd. Rituals, human sacrifice, Latin verses, death, witches, it's all here. The only thing that had me wondering was the liner note that said all music and lyrics are by A Ghoul Writer. So these guys are an actual satanic cult or the are really good at faking it (the rumour is that these guys all play in other well known bands and just don't want their names linked to this project). Either way, the satanical/evil content is over the top but without ever getting hilarious like Steel Panther.

Opus Eponymous has a very 70's hardrock/metal sound. A fuzzy but clear guitarsound, good clean production and an overall sound that is very 70's. Never the 'in your face' loudness that so many bands use these days. Ghost uses a very balanced sound that creates room for all instruments, be it guitars, drums, bass or organ. The great thing about Ghost is that they play a melodic blend of 70's rock and metal which in combination with the clear vocals and lyrical content makes them sound more evil than most contemperary black metal bands out there. Nice sounding guys aren't supposed to sing about Satan. They also seem to have the patent on huge sing-along-choruses. Just listen to 'Ritual' and you'' know exactly what I mean.

This album features 9 songs, 2 of which are instrumentals and which are no more than fillers, needed to pass the 30 minute mark, in my opinion. They are not bad in any way, but I would have liked to see 2 or 3 more 'real' songs. The other 7, on the other hand, are great vintage rock songs and will make sure that the buzz about this band isn't just about their look but even more so about the music.

Bruce Lamont Feral Songs for the Epic DeclineMajeure Timespan
Mount Moriah Mount MoriahLesbian Stratospheria Cubensis
Aethenor En Form for BlaKiss the Anus of a Black Cat Hewers of Wood and Drawers of Water
Didge Dunn (4.5)
An excellent blend of groove rock and metal gives this album an edge above others - One of the bette...

ScuroFantasma (4.5)
'Opus Eponymous' is a twisted yet amazing album that will lure you in with it's excellent sound, arc...

megalodon (4.5)
Ghost has created the catchiest soundtrack to the Apocalypse you will ever hear....

Camelo Colca (4.5)
It seems as though Opus Eponymous was a missing recording from 1978, and it is now seeing the light ...

Xenophanes

Nifty review bro. Pos

Hyperion1001
October 25th 2010

Album art is cool and that usually is enough to make me listen to a band. Sweet review though, pos'd.

Digging: Shed - Shot Selection

Hawks
October 25th 2010

You spelled Mercyful Fate wrong.

Digging: Engraved - Before The Tales

gbowles

I like the Japanese band, Ghost. whoops

76TVs
October 26th 2010

Check. Spelled it right the second time.
I've heard of the japanese band but never listened to them.

Digging: Sea of Bones - The Earth Wants Us Dead

December 15th 2010

Have this, gonna listen to after work.

Digging: My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge

Muikuli
July 26th 2011

I like the review, but I think calling the instrumentals "fillers" is unjustified. Genesis is one of the best songs here imo. and doesn't have vocals because it doesn't need vocals.

Good album and they are very entertaining live as well.

Nikkolae
January 31st 2012

this is so trippy, i dig.

Digging: Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden

Pulyx
January 25th 2013

You know what.
I'll tell you guys what this reminds me off.

Take a 80's new wave band, scale down all the synthetizer stuff, give them a satanist bible. And there you go.

Also. It's pretty good. Crisp production, catchy melodies. You'll be praising satan in no time.

Today i was on the bus listening, theres a particular verse in the song that says SATANAS (pronnounced "SAH-TAH-NAHS" a latin spelling of Satan) and i sang it aloud. The lady beside me looked at me completely bewildered/outraged.

Fun stuff.

It's like Duran Duran meets Ozzy, Meets Satanist Church, Meets one theatrical band (Kiss, Alice Cooper, Slipknot).

They do some MEAN covers of very improbable songs too. Like Beatles' Here Comes the Sun and ABBA's I'm a Marionette.

Good, good album.

Vakarian12

pretty cool

Digging: Sepultura - Arise

Titan
March 26th 2013

gimmicky as hell but a good album nonetheless

BlackLlama
March 26th 2013

I still play this all the time. Can't wait for the new one to hit.

Digging: Stigmata - Do Unto Others

ToMMyMiL16
October 18th 2013

Elizabeth is such an awesome song

CrimsonLies
November 14th 2013

2020 Comments

This band seems pretty popular from what I can tell

March 26th 2014

This album > The new album

March 26th 2014

This album is some serious gourmet shit! Usually, I would be happy with some freeze-dried doom metal, but they spring this serious GOURMET shit on us!

ToMMyMiL16
March 27th 2014

dis dat gourmet shit yo

March 27th 2014

Tommy knows

robmac
June 24th 2014

Jim Florentine said it best "...a cross between Mercyful Fate and Blue Oyster Cult". Saw Ghost at last year's Rock On The Range...Papa's voice when he addresses the crowd reminds me of Pedro from "Napolean Dynamite", Huh,wha?...

Arcade