Radare
Infinite Regress

by Eli EMERITUS
October 21st, 2010 | 51 replies | 7,284 views

Review Summary: A highly stylized and impressive debut from a truly promising band.

So I played the trombone in high school, yes, the trombone. Quite possibly the most nerdy instrument this side of an accordion, the trombone is an awkward piece of brass. And really, for the better part of my public school career, I thought the same. Yet the guys in Radare make it seem like the most depressing instrument around. Full of emotion and solemnity, the trombone can really kick some ass. And in all actuality, the trombone has very little to do with Radare's debut, "Infinite Regress." It's the little extra detailing and thought of using the instrument that makes things so damn interesting. And they don't stop at peculiar brass instruments, Radare add a little bit of flavor and personality everywhere in "Infinite Regress."

Hailing from Germany, Radare are a four piece post-metal act with hints of ambient and hardcore. It's an interesting mixture to say the least, but not the most original, as one will find splashes of ISIS and Rosetta everywhere. Yet that is not to say that Radare are so keen on ripping off other acts, not in the least. Things like the melancholy trombone, and the plucked strings of a bass add an indelible amount of atmosphere to the album. And this is where Radare excel. While they certainly don't do much to tear down the post-metal standard, they do enough to keep things severely interesting. There are beautiful ambient parts, alongside crushing bouts of heaviness, which keep up the intrigue by altering styles frequently. The more ambient sections rely on minimalistic drums and guitar with a far less distorted sound, while the heavier portions are suffocatingly dense. The ambient passages have a very "airy" feel to them and they have quite a calming feeling, which makes these portions completely beautiful. However, the heavier parts have a different type of atmosphere. They're somewhat menacing and dense, but completely contained. The vocals (of which there are very few) also share this dual styling. The screams are low and dark, while the clean-singing is actually very calm, and very well done. The duality of the two styles that permeate the record mesh surprisingly well, making "Infinite Regress" wholly immersible.

"Infinite Regress" isn't an album to take lightly. At nearly forty-five minutes in length, the album meanders across four tracks. Each track is absolutely wonderful in it's own right, but as a whole they tend to bleed into one another. While there is a lot of variety contained within each song, the album is a fairly oppressive listen. The four songs are massive, which leads everything to become muddled with a full listen through.

Yet this complaint seems minor in respect to everything that the band does so well. It's absolutely wonderful post-metal record, with enough creativity and personality to stand out amongst the crowd. With such a promising debut, Radare are a band worth keeping an eye on.

Saintseneca Dark ArcHave a Nice Life The Unnatural World
Thee Silver Mount Zion Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light on EverythingFell Voices Regnum Saturni
Hammock Oblivion HymnsMount Eerie Pre-Human Ideas

October 21st 2010

Supremely quick write up of an album very much worth checking out.

40th review, it's been fun Sputnik.

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

October 21st 2010

I sure as shit did, thanks for it btw. I love your blog, haha.

ConsiderPhlebas
October 21st 2010

Nice work. Sounds like something I might dig.

October 21st 2010

Awesome, I appreciate it!

By the way, your Unwound review has made me decide to pick up Leaves Turn Inside You, I hope it's as good as you say it is!

October 21st 2010

Alright, I'll let you know.

October 21st 2010

Great, another post metal band.

October 21st 2010

It's better than you would think, really.

great album right here

qwe3
October 21st 2010

yeah this is surprisingly unboring

Relinquished

agreed

October 21st 2010

Personally I find this to be as good as the new Rosetta, but I will probably have to listen to it again to make my final decision

liledman
October 22nd 2010

oh yeah shit i still need to get this

October 22nd 2010

It's pretty great, I recommend it.

Ire

it's awesome

'tis

acorncheese

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww it's ireeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

shut up

Mordecai.
November 11th 2010

glad this has a review. most refreshing post metal in awhile

Powerban
November 11th 2010

Yeah, this is really close to being in my top 5 post-metal releases this year. It may even sneak in if it can hold its stature better than others. (which is highly likely, i think)

20249 Comments

probably will be in my end of the year list