Bionic Jive
Armageddon Through Your Speakers

by djon96 USER (22 Reviews)
October 18th, 2010 | 6 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Bionic Jive are one of those bands that should have gotten a lot of attention, but ended up being slept upon. While rap metal is nothing new, Bionic Jive were really good at it, and they had a distinctive sound, as opposed to the millions of acts that tried to be the next Rage Against the Machine or Urban Dance Squad.

Bionic Jive is:

* Ako Mack - lead vocals
* Emerg McVay - lead vocals
* Larry "Luv" Elyea - guitar
* Richard "Cunni" Gartner - bass guitar
* Chris "TGI" Elsner - drums
* DJ Radar - turntables

The band is fronted by two MCs, one of which reminds me more of Tech N9ne than Zack De La Rocha. While there is a political undercurrent to a lot of the songs here, an anti-religion theme is also very apparent, such as in the bookending "Who's Your God" pieces and "I Shot Lucifer". On a whole, Bionic Jive have a lot more in common with heavy metal from a lyrical and musical standpoint than other so-called "rap metal" bands. While this album is definitely rap metal (the rapped vocals and turntablist make this fact all the more obvious), the metal approach is more obvious thanks to the lack of the punk influence that runs through many rap-metal bands, especially RATM.

However, what Bionic Jive does share with RATM is their ability to approach political subjects in a way that is both musically engaging and intelligent. "I Shot Lucifer" manages to discuss a lot of different subjects, including distrust of government, distrust of religion and opposition to racism, in addition to be a great, head-bobbing metal song. The female chorus in parts of the song provides for a very spooky atmosphere. While two other tracks proceed this, this song is where the album really gets going, setting the mood for more head-bobbers.

A few of these head-bobbers break from the political commentary, like the crowd-pumping "Hands to the Roof". Which isn't to say that any track is any less entertaining than another. In fact, one of the most head-bobbing tracks on the album is the anti-racist track "Break The Chains". Murder turns up as a theme on "Ricochet", which can also be considered one of the band's anti-religion and club tracks as well. "Walking With Shadows" is about the ghetto, discussing things like drive-by shootings, alcoholism and teenage pregnancy. "Goodbye" refers to suicide and Satanism, with what is a rarity for this album: the chorus is sung rather than rapped.

The band is very energetic throughout, providing some sharp riffs and rocking tracks throughout. Armageddon Through Your Speakers showed rap metal maturing and set up for what should have been a really big underground act that seems to have disappeared over the last few years. They released another album without a supporting label, but only as a digital download, and as a result, this is probably your best chance to sample the band.

Cold 187um The Only SolutionKool Keith Sex Style
Dice TheneighborhoodshittalkaVanilla Ice WTF
Limp Bizkit Results May VaryTwiztid Heartbroken & Homicidal

Irving
October 19th 2010

Solid second review. Could use with a bit more detailing of how the music sounds like though, IMHO.

Digging: U2 - Songs of Innocence

Masochist
October 19th 2010

LOL, haven't listened to this album in a looooong time. Good stuff; "I Shot Lucifer" and "Hands to The Roof" are always cool listens to pump me up.

I SHOT LUCIFER!
A GOVERNMENTAL CONSPIRACY
TO MURDER ME

ThePalestMexican

What Masochist said
This was a pretty solid rap-rock album

pacedown
May 9th 2012

yeah if only you could give more details about the record . review overall its ok

bionic jive deserved better sales..

random
June 29th 2012

"I SHOT LUCIFER!"

random
July 9th 2012

One of the biggest travesties in the music industry is that Bionic Jive didn't get huge in 2001.