thorr's hammer
Dommedagsnatt

by For Meatplow USER (61 Reviews)
October 17th, 2010 | 29 replies | 6,093 views

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Your portal to a darker dimension

What surprises me most about doom outfit Thorr's Hammer is that regardless of their restrictions, they successfully carved away a niche for themselves in their respective fields. By this I mean that by vocalist Runhild Gammelsæter was under certain circumstances that should have restricted the band's progress and hindered their sound, but somehow it was not a disadvantage for them. Confused? Let me explain. Gammelsæter was an exchange student from Oslo, Norway, and for the last six weeks of her stay, she was involved with the misanthropic Thorr's Hammer alongside Steve O' Malley, Greg Anderson, James Hale and Jamie Sykes, a time in which they played two live shows and had one recording session. So, for such a fledgling band it's simply astounding that Dommedagsnatt's wheels grind as hard and as successfully as they do.

That's to say that Thorr's Hammer swallows you into a dark canyon or transports a sweltering room with smoke blinding you – and the most impressive part is that I'm not just being hyperbolic. This short-lived doom band's style was just that cinematic. Axes paint a dark, haunting atmosphere while Sykes's drum patterns are the wheels of the machinations which drive us listeners to the points where Gammelsæter and Company lock into their heaviest and most brooding style of death-infused doom. Here, a seventeen-year-old Gammelsæter breaks out her most raspy and loud holler, while her bandmates grind away with equal fervor at their individual instruments. Here, the canyon's walls begins to erode and the smoke in that dark room gets thicker. It's intense, yes, but an experience to behold. In part because of the layers of boisterous dissonance, and in another part because of Gammelsæter's demonic yell.

Unlike her work with James Plotkin on Khlyst's Chaos Is My Name and especially on her solo album Amplicon, the majority of her vocals on this demo are deep growls. On opener “Norge” she employs some elegiac crooning, but even that is defined more so by her terrifying grunts. What's more impressive are her interesting phrasing techniques, as each line emphasizes a new set of syllables – and another is that even though her tempo shifts are subtle, they make all the difference. Some might say that's because the other instruments rarely utilize them, which is, of course, expected of doom metal. But the band's dynamics and their ability to engulf you into their whirlwind of dissonance is mesmerizing.

That's to say Dommedagsnatt does what every doom metal album is supposed to do. Throughout its thirty-two minute runtime, the demo proves to be a grueling experience that's as entertaining as it is intense. “Troll” personifies slow agony with tortured howls and a swirling pool of guitar drones while the closer, a live version of “Mellom Galgene,” is a more intense and raw take on the demo's misanthropic atmosphere. And while this track in particular is nowhere near as accessible as the other three, it does what it is intended to, just as the others do, and with equal success for that matter.

Mattin Proletarian of NoiseGuernica (Japan) Shinseiki e no Unga
Veliotis / Sugimoto / Kinoshita / Unami QuartetKesha Cannibal
Mathos Franz JosephSachiko M, Toshimaru Nakamura & Otomo... Good Morning Good Night
NecroticWurmKvltLord (3.5)
The earliest foray into doom of the men behind Southern Lord Records proves to be a suprisingly shor...

Hyperion1001
October 18th 2010

Heard of them before, never looked into it. Sound sweet though. Pos'd.

Digging: Autechre - Draft 7.30

Thanks.

Urinetrouble

sup bbitchy fork

On the prowl for EPs.

Urinetrouble
October 18th 2010

im recording one right now called bitchfork fuks swagchef

its blackened banjo music

October 18th 2010

This lady's in her early 20's then damn...... Good review. love Khlyst had yet to check this band out.

October 18th 2010

She's actually in her early thirties. I don't know if this was actually released in 2004, if there was a re-issue, or if this release date is dead wrong, but I know for a fact that she was 17 at the time of recording, which was during either '95, I believe. Either that or '94, but I'm 90 percent sure that in '94 it was just O'Malley and Anderson in the band.

And her degree in biology would have taken a while to get and since building her reputation would also have taken a while there's no way she's in her early twenties. Sorry Wylie.

October 18th 2010

Wasn't this your avatar for the longest time?

October 18th 2010

I was confused by the album date as well as the cover. I'd still beat.

October 18th 2010

This chick but my point was to advertise Khlyst's Chaos Is My Name since she's in that band, too.

October 18th 2010

"I was confused by the album date as well as the cover. I'd still beat."
Did you end up listening to Amplicon? That album makes her look more like a scientist and less like a Norwegian beatwoman.

rasputin

this is a great record

Bleekill
October 18th 2010

Steve and Greg do no wrong

October 18th 2010

Will listen to tomorrow. Brother and friends are having another installment of drunken beat the shit out of your instruments night.

oui oui

Dryden

awesome

Ponton
October 18th 2010

too cool for me, but great review

colony666

the band actually reunited in 2009

Apollo

neg

PanasonicYouth
October 18th 2010

gunna get this only cuz of the band name