Your Demise
The Kids We Used To Be

by CryptcSlaughter10 USER (5 Reviews)
October 13th, 2010 | 41 replies | 14,607 views

Review Summary: ‘YOUR DEMISE, 2010 BITCH’

The growing UKHC scene has few innovators, but many followers, and from this new LP, one can easily tell which side of the fence Your Demise are seated. After Ed McRae joined Your Demise (replacing George Goebbels), the band has seen their already decent outfit excelled, making them stand-out from the crowd in a scene which has more than a couple of fans. Their 2009 debut ‘Ignorance Never Dies’ saw the band begin to experiment with sound, creating a dubstep interlude, but mainly playing it safe with pretty standard Hardcore. ‘The Kids We Used To Be …’ sees Your Demise massively mature, and shows that they are one of the leaders of the UKHC scene.

From the go ‘The Kids We Used To Be …’ still maintains the aggression from previous work, with ‘MMX’ fuelling the fire for the rest of the LP, with the resounding “Your Demise, 2010, Bitch”, leading straight into the stunning single ‘Miles Away’. One of the main improvements Your Demise have made over the years is writing outstanding chorus’s, which are made for live shows, such as in ‘Miles Away’ and ‘The Kids We Used To Be …’, which are some of the most impressive I have heard all year. The title track itself is a song dedicated to how simple life was as a kid:

‘So let's bring back the best years,
Nights spent hanging out not giving a ***, being down on our luck.
Some people say that best friends stay same, but I'll prove you wrong.’

Immediately Dallas Green from Alexisonfire springs to mind, with the clean vocals woven into ‘the Kids We Used To Be …’ with the chorus of the title track being nearly similar to You and Me At Six – and it works. Don’t get me wrong, this is not a Madball or Sick Of It All record, but it is still heavy a ***. ‘Like a Broken Record’ and ‘Scared of Light’ are both stomping hardcore anthems, and although it may not be as visceral as Converge or Trash Talk, it will still create mayhem on a live show basis. The ever present breakdowns do not just feel like a compulsory factor for a hardcore band, they are well placed and fit in effortlessly. Although serious in places, ‘The Kids We Used To Be …’ is a very fun LP, with the track ‘Get The *** Out Of Little Rock’ being something different, riddled with influences from early hardcore and crossover acts, with a nice guitar solo, and the shouts at the end just show this band wants to have fun.

Listening to this LP just makes me imagine how awesome ‘The Kids We Used To Be …’ will be live, with the huge gang vocals on ‘Give Up, Get Dropped, Lose Out’ and ‘Miles Away’ and the bouncy chorus of ‘XO’, and although this LP takes a couple of listens to really dig your teeth into the lyrics, this will become one of the predominant Hardcore albums of 2010.

In Summary, Your Demise has moved forward from their straight forward hardcore, to a much more definitive and mature hardcore release, and I will not be at all surprised if they become one of the biggest names in the UKHC scene.

Benjamino Jackanory (3.5)
Not totally beyond reproach, but definitely one of the best hardcore albums of last year...

CryptcSlaughter10
October 13th 2010

Criticism welcome as per usual

accompliceofmydeath
October 13th 2010

I don't think I'd like this. I'll probably check out their myspace though. Nice review.

TBliss

agree with review, pos.

Great review

But album was absolutely horrible to me, they got so soft on this.

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

sspedding
October 13th 2010

I thought their last album was pretty much straight up metalcore with hardcore influences - a little similar to the Ghost Inside. Review is good although I disagree with the rating.

deathofasalesman
October 13th 2010

Yeah, other album is much better.

Bloc u dum?

Album sucks Lizzy

October 13th 2010

But these guys are good.

October 13th 2010

I agree their last album raped, but this is such a disappointment.

October 13th 2010

Ok I believe you Mr.SOundoff. But I still gotta give it a chance.

djunior
October 19th 2010

pretty disappointed with this. last release wasnt bad. i wouldhve liked to see them mature some, but this sucks

Digging: FKA twigs - LP1

johnnyferris
October 20th 2010

I had the priviledge of seeing these guys live in the summer. i was instantly hooked and got ignorance never dies. you will not be disappointed with their live show.
This still isn't out in the states so i'm waiting to pick this up

October 31st 2010

Ahhh! This album was released on Rise! THAT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING.

Deathcar
October 31st 2010

Guess I won't bother with this then, their last album was 3.5 material at best, though they do put on a pretty damn good live show.

Hep Kat
October 31st 2010

nowhere near as good as ignorance

pretty much threw out anything that set them apart and recorded a standard mehish metalcore album

Digging: Sir Michael Rocks - Banco

TomAkaVeto
November 13th 2010

^EXACTLY. They went from an above average band that stood out, to just an average band...

TBliss
November 13th 2010

Shine On brings teh breakdownz

xstaytrue18x
November 18th 2010

what the fuck happened? these guys used to be straight up hardcore and now they're getting soft with all the clean vocals. miles away is the best song and the only song worth checking out on this album, the kids we used to be is an ok track but the clean vocals ruin it for me. overall, im really disappointed with this album and how the band are heading with this new sound. they need george back ASAP!

KnuckleChowder
December 3rd 2010

I actually completely disagree with most of what you said in this review (though it was a good
review). This vocalist is extremely mediocre and he brings the lyrics down to a 4th grade level, all
of the instrumentation has gotten more 'metal' but also a lot more generic and overall worse in my
opinion. Well whatever, for my hardcore fix there's always Dead Swans...

P.s. I could really do without the "YOUR DEMISE 2010 BITCH" in the beginning of the album. I know what
year it is, I know what band I'm listening to but I didn't know that you thought you were so
hardXcore.