Orchid
Dance Tonight! Revolution Tomorrow!

by Elijah K. STAFF
October 13th, 2010 | 245 replies

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "To hear something new is hard and painful for the ear. We hear the music of foreigners badly."

The Orchid Family of plants is one of the largest and most diverse on the planet. Many of the flowers are known for their intense beauty, as they are frequently used for commercial bouquets. Their scent is marketed in perfumes. And vanilla, the flavoring used world wide, is also part of said family. That being said, Orchidaceae are a highly revered group of plants. And that is why for the life of me I cannot grasp how the band Orchid, came to adopt this name.

Orchid are legends in the emotional hardcore scene, and their music is anything but beautiful. With their debut album "Chaos Is Me," Orchid left a huge crater that was their influence. Whilst the band's name was not too fitting, the name of their debut fit perfectly. That is because chaos was the very essence of Orchid. It was anarchy and unrestrained energy in musical form. Needless to say, this left quite an impression. Regarded as a classic, "Chaos Is Me" is seen as part of movement that started something new. So Orchid had some pretty big shoes to fill; their own.

Fortunately, they succeeded. "Dance Tonight! Revolution Tomorrow!" meets the standards on "Chaos Is Me," and in some cases surpasses them. The chaos is still prevalent, as is the brazen energy. However, the whole affair seems less messy, and more constrained. One could argue that is what made their previous album a classic, but the cleaner sound is welcome, and it really shows of their music making abilities.

The organization of the set list is one of the album's biggest improvements from it's predecessor. Where their debut seemed to mesh together, sounding homogeneous, "Dance Tonight! Revolution Tomorrow!" works like a well oiled machine. The intro "Destination: Blood," is a perfect beginning for the album. It starts of menacing, and quickly explodes into the frenetic screaming and cymbal crashes. The intro to "Don't Rat Out Your Friends" sounds very solemn and thoughtful, and goes a long way to adding variety to the album. They use the same detailing in "Snow Delay at the Frankfurt School." In this case, it almost sounds beautiful. The simple guitar notes being played with slight distortion over and airy atmosphere is fantastic. Musically, there is much more substance. As songwriters, the members of Orchid have improved. Subtle sounds in the background of "...And the Cat Turned to Smoke" are all the validation one needs to realize this. While on the subject, "...And the Cat Turned to Smoke" is the album's heaviest hitter. In places, it's one of the more melodic pieces on the album, whilst in other places, complete chaos ensues. It's brilliant, and at five minutes in length, it's the album's largest song. Truly, it is an achievement for the band as musicians.

Yet "Dance Tonight! Revolution Tomorrow!" doesn't completely blow their previous album out of the water. As a whole, it lacks the personality found on "Chaos Is Me." The youthful exuberance isn't so apparent, and it's a lot less dark. And at around fifteen minutes in length, it's simply over far too quickly. Yet this are minor gripes. "Dance Tonight! Revolution Tomorrow!" is a blast. The music makes me want to loose my composure, while the meaningful lyrics make me want to think. It's a great duality, which helps the album exponentially. Hectic, thoughtful, and passionate, this is one album that shouldn't be missed.

Envy Atheist's CorneaSigh Graveward
Marriages SalomeMarsen Jules The Empire of Silence
Leviathan Scar SightedImperial Triumphant Abyssal Gods
Justin Taslak (3.5)
I guess you could say it's like if Robot Chicken was a screamo band. Or it's the follow up to one o...

liledman
October 13th 2010

One could argue that is what made their previous album a classic. But the cleaner sound is welcome, and it really shows of their music making abilities.

would just use a comma to join those.

orchid fuck yeah. nice review.

MassiveAttack
October 13th 2010

Champion of the....SUN! You're a master of karate and friendship...for everyone. Dayman AHAHAHAH :D

Irving

Great review, pos.

Also, you're on fire. Keep pumping em out man.

MassiveAttack
October 13th 2010

You don't say stage freeze you just do it.

rasputin

great album

maybe splitting that huge third paragraph would be good though

19076 Comments

Cool review. Orchid owns. What's your rating for gatefold?

October 13th 2010

I recently got into Chaos Is Me. It's really good.

19076 Comments

Gatefold is tits man, get on that one next. Just 5'd it.

Looking forward to it.

do it.

October 13th 2010

I can't right now because I'm a gaytard. I'm still listening to The Fall of Boss Koala, The National

and Neurosis all at the same time. : /

19076 Comments

The Fall of Boss Koala also rules. I need to give Neurosis and the National another go.

alachlahol
October 13th 2010

wow did you really describe orchids in the first paragraph

HighandDriving
October 13th 2010

Do a Kings of Leon review and describes Kings and Leon please.

Jash
October 13th 2010

2 for 2 my friend, great reviews for a great band/great albums. This is the first one I heard and it's my favorite. One of the best opening tracks ever. Pos'd

Rev
August 7th 2011

this is my critique!

this is my subversion!

this is my revolution!

Digging: Slime Girls - YUMEMI/LONELY PLANET GIRL

19885 Comments

another new flagged review sweet

Digging: Made In Heights - Without My Enemy What Would I Do

demigod!
September 10th 2013

one of the staffers must be high, the flagged reviews keep changing for no discernible reason

yea something's odd