Eric Clapton
Clapton

good

by Matthijs van der Lee USER (219 Reviews)
October 12th, 2010 | 15 replies | 6,039 views

Legends grow old. Eric Clapton has: one glance at the cover for his newest and already 19th solo album should make that much clear. The guitarist turned 65 this year, and the days of The Yardbirds, Cream and Blind Faith lie far behind him. Neither his audience nor himself will expect him to create something revolutionary anymore. He can look back on a lengthy and fruitful career. Perhaps, seeing he has reached this point, it is apt that his newest record is plainly entitled Clapton.

Clapton’s major inspiration has always been the blues, and on his newest work, he continues to play blues-rock the way he typically has. What makes Clapton stand out next to the rest of his solo catalogue is that it feels particularly gentle. There’s a hint of jazz here and there that causes this in part, but it’s mainly the way Clapton performs the material – which actually consists mostly of covers and contains just one song co-written by him. It isn’t at all unusual to compare it to ‘92’s Unplugged, which was very much his tribute to the delta blues, and feels relaxed in the same manner. Clapton is simply looking back again, honouring his inspirers.

It makes for a smooth, professionally produced listen. Sometimes however, Clapton is relaxed to a fault, bordering on uninteresting. The covers, well done as they are, could have used some more spice in between in the form of Clapton’s own material. The album may represent his influences nicely, but contains very little actual Clapton-penned material for something called Clapton.

Slowhand’s 19th record is something that works in two opposite directions. On the one hand, it’s a professional, gentle album that does a great job at paying homage to the legendary guitarist’s influences, but on the other, it’s not quite endearing enough and lacks the man’s own presence in the writing. Overall, Clapton doesn’t hold so many surprises. It won’t make you a fan if you weren’t, and it won’t blow you away if you are. Eric Clapton is aging gracefully.

Genesis Calling All StationsGenesis We Can't Dance
Genesis Invisible TouchGenesis Genesis
Genesis AbacabGenesis Duke

Nagrarok
October 12th 2010

Ugh, had to resist writing 'Clapton' too many times.

cinaedus
October 12th 2010

nice, wish you'd have gone more in-depth though.

Irving
October 12th 2010

Great review. I thought the level of detail was just nice, and particularly liked how succinct it was.

Also, dude - 163 reviews?! That's epic! And also contributing/staff reviewer level LOL!

Digging: Pixies - Indie Cindy

Nagrarok
October 12th 2010

I was thinking I could go more in-depth, but then I figured not too much users here will care about this. Wrote up a short one because this just needed covering.

And yes, I have one of the highest review counts on the site. Not a contrib/staffer though.

Jethro42

12071 Comments

Good review super Nag.
I only knew a few fragments of Clapton's career before you introduced me to the whole Cream thing, and it's okay.
Layyyyla
You got me on my knees
Layla

Voivod

good review, pos'd.

i like short and descriptive/informative reviews and this is a fine example.

Digging: The 3rd and the Mortal - Painting On Glass

Inveigh

lol damnit I was hoping to get an "inb4 progmaster" post

good review Nag

Digging: Symptom - Caverns Of Katabasis

BigHans
October 12th 2010

Good review Nag, although strangely I have no interest in getting this.

EVedder27

exactly what Hans said

AggravatedYeti

ditto on the last two.

cvlts
October 12th 2010

hol-eee shit, this guy still makin music?

Digging: As Cities Burn - Come Now Sleep

botb
October 12th 2010

wow had no idea he was coming out with something new this year. he's a legend for sure. seeing him live was really cool.

LepreCon

Clapton is still God though

AtavanHalen
October 13th 2010

Ehh, I don't like anything this guy has done since Cream tbqh

luschlotz
March 20th 2011

I adore this album, really not into cream