Wolf Parade
Apologies to the Queen Mary

by USER (1 Reviews)
October 18th, 2005 | 33 replies | 2,944 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Wolf Parade is the band that if able to stay afloat amongst the flood of hype that surrounded their debut Apologies to the Queen Mary should standout as a classic indie fave. The Montréal four-piece have been giving one of the greatest helping hands a band could hope for while touring with their good buddies The Arcade Fire. Although similarities are shared amongst the two with an assortment of unconventional instruments and the ambitious song craft, Wolf Parade are in their own rights an individual indie rock outfit. Also the comparisons to Modest Mouse are there but in no way a detriment, with Isaac Brock recording much of the record.

Short Review:
If you consider yourself a fan of the aforementioned bands, simply want a good place to start getting into indie music or simply like amazing new music then you should immediately buy/download Apologies to the Queen Mary.

Long(er) Review:
The opening track ‘You are a Runner and I am my Fathers Son’ is somewhat timid and ineffectual but the catchy drum beat lends the song some merit as an opener. ‘Grounds for Divorce’ is a crushing tale of the demise of a relationship and has such imaginative lines as “Found eighteen reasons I can't pick up on the phone/ Said look at the clouds/ It's a show all on its own/ Such were the grounds for divorce I know". ‘Fancy Claps’ follows which is the first song where noticeable Modest Mouse influence is visible (or listenable (?)). A dark and sorrow filled ‘Same Ghost Every Night’ which pushes the 6-minute barrier continues the long list of awesome tracks from an awesome record. The la la la la backing vocals to ‘Dear sons and Daughters of Hungry Ghosts’ are a little annoying and don’t serve much purpose so for me this is the one disappointing track on the record. ‘I’ll believe in Anything’ also highlights the influences from their Modest Mouse producer with the lyrics somewhat comparable to the track ‘third planet’ on the Modest Mouse The Moon and the Antarctica record. Ultimately Wolf Parade is an awesome band and I highly recommend them to everyone (even your mum) and am hoping they head down under.

Love Jellybones

robin EMERITUS (5)
I got water and I got holes, so...

verytallperson (4.5)
Wolf Parade bring punk to the indie scene. Results? Indie as never been so visceral....

sutinblev (5)
An extremely well-made album with a sense of current not seen in many places. Definately an album fo...

At Mount Zoomer

Expo 86

Hand
October 20th 2005

This review totally sucks. im writting a proper one

Wanker
January 20th 2006

Yeah, it does. And Dear Sons and Daughters of Hungry Ghosts is awesome...
..ya bastard.

Sepstrup
January 21st 2006

I don't think it's that bad. It's too short, but it has its moments. I don't like the short review/longer review layout, though. You could put the recommendation in the conclusion ("Check out this band if you like indie music like Modest Mouse" or something like that")
Wolf Parade have been recommended to me before... I guess I'll start here, when I get a chance to listen to this album.

Digging: How to Dress Well - What Is This Heart?

March 8th 2006

You are a Runner and I'll Believe Anything are Highlights. I cant wait to see this band!

As for the reveiw nothing can be said that wasn't already. Better luck next time.This Message Edited On 03.08.06

Jawaharal

Its a Cure ftw

DFelon204409
March 8th 2006

I can't stand all of these Montreal bands. Incredibly overrated, especially by sites like pitchforkmedia.com. I really hope this site doesn't turn into that.

March 8th 2006

There's only two critically acclaimed Montreal bands.

March 8th 2006

The Dears are the best Montreal band.

March 8th 2006

Woops, I forgot them. But they're not as hyped or known outside of Kanata as Wolf Parade or Arcade Fire. They sound a lot like the Smiths, I think.

March 8th 2006

Yeah that's why I like them (sounding like the Smiths on some levels). But they definitely aren't as hyped, that's for sure. I like it more that way, truth be told.

The Dears aren't amazing or anything but they've put out two solid records.

As for this album, I've barely listened to it since I first got it. Pretty average and derivative. I'm interested to hear how they start to move into their own sound on coming albums.

DFelon204409
March 8th 2006

Galapagos, that isn't true. There's a whole scene there and a lot of those bands get BS praise not in major magazines etc.

Zesty Mordant
March 8th 2006

[QUOTE=Moss] The Dears aren't amazing or anything but they've put out two solid records [/QUOTE]

The Dears are sweet mainly because it's a big black dude singing like a scrawny depressed british cracka

March 8th 2006

You have to admit it is pretty awesome, a big french black guy whose biggest influences are Morrissey, Elton John and Serge Gainsbourg. If nothing else, at least he's not predictable.This Message Edited On 03.08.06

Modest Mouse

I LOVE THIS CD BUY IT NOW

joeysolo
March 26th 2006

going with what sam said BUY THIS CD!! it is gold baby. GOLD!!!!

March 26th 2006

The top one seemed a little biased and the bottom one speaks for it's self: "it is gold baby. GOLD!!!!"
I don't know about that, but it's pretty damn good.
"There's only two critically acclaimed Montreal bands."
What about Of Montreal? I'm only sorta guessing on what city they're from.

Of Montreal are from Georgia

damn falty advertising.

joeysolo
March 26th 2006

all you guys saying that this band sucks... chances are you all suck and cant appreciate music get over his voice and listen to the music>!!

March 26th 2006

Who said his voice was bad?