DevilDriver
Devildriver

by Magnus Altkula STAFF
October 7th, 2010 | 39 replies | 11,607 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

It must be said right away that DevilDriver’s self titled isn’t of the same quality that all of the band’s other records are. More precisely, it lacks the truly captivating instrumentation of DevilDriver’s later releases and there’s a distinct lack of good guitar riffs here and there, but what the album still succeeds in delivering is high-energy metal tunes. Straight from the opener "Nothing’s Wrong" DevilDriver settle into a nice uptempo groove that they do not once break during the duration of the album, and while a solo or a breakdown here and there would have definitely made things more interesting in the long run, the songs are still acceptable thanks to the high levels of energy that are behind them.

But, in its essence, that is actually the main problem with this album. The listener could (and should) just pick up any other DevilDriver record instead because they are much, much more interesting instrumentally, while also having the same amount of high energy this album has. There aren't any great hooks, any truly memorable riffs, or even an interesting concept of sorts here to keep listeners glued. The harsh truth is that DevilDriver was still in development stage when this album came out, and so, Devildriver as an album is mainly a somewhat interesting retrospective on the group’s early years that demonstrates how far the band has come, but musically, is a rather boring effort. Even the band members’ individual performances here express it: Dez Fafara has yet not settled into his unique, screechy snarl, John Boecklin hasn’t developed his own perceptible drumming style yet, and even guitarist Jeff Kendrick is basically just following what Evan Pitts does in the guitar department, without showcasing any of the infectious interplay he now has with present guitarist Mike Spreitzer.

While there are some adequate cuts here, as a whole, Devildriver fails to deliver. Though not a bad album, it is extremely one-dimensional and there is a distinctive lack of interesting musical ideas. The band plays it safe by just belting out one energetic-but-casual metal track after another. Due to the relatively short length of the disc, it is suitable for a pump-up or a driving album, but otherwise, unless you like your metal generic or are crazy about the band, you’re better off (…with DevilDriver’s other efforts).

Recommended Tracks:
"I Could Care Less"
"Die (And Die Now)"
"I Dreamed I Died"
"Meet The Wretched"

MiXE1 Starlit SkinDoom:VS Earthless
Nocturnal Breed Napalm NightsThyrien Hymns of the Mortals - Songs from the North
Iskald Nedom Og NordPsyclon Nine [Order of the Shadow: Act I]
3.2
good
Seth T. White (Cravinov13) (3)

October 7th 2010

Resubmit because my original review was deleted for reasons unknown

19206 Comments

I agree, this wasn't very good. Perfect review buddy.

Digging: Merzbow - Dust of Dreams

October 7th 2010

Thanks Wiz, nice to see you around these parts.

19206 Comments

It's the fall and work is less busy in Canada. Plus, I need to catch up with my buddies/ music.

LepreCon
October 7th 2010

They did get much better, but I still spin this every few months for old time's... wait hang on I already said that! Oh well I'll re-pos seeing as I pos'd it the first time.

19206 Comments

Their newer albums are like night and day better than this.

LepreCon
October 7th 2010

Probably yeah but I still remember the day my buddy came up to me with a cdr and said "Hey Conor you need to hear these new guys..."

October 7th 2010

Good to hear Wiz, good to hear (about you having more time, obvs)

Thank Leper, and yea about the same for me, though it's not so much for old times sake but just when I go on a DevilDriver binge I'll usually end up giving this at least a quick spin too. It's just so inferior to their other stuff though, but it's ok since it was their debut after all.

October 7th 2010

Great write-up Magnus, very clear and concise. Pos'd. I actually haven't really looked into this band yet. Where should I start?

Ponton
October 7th 2010

Good review Magnus. I like how you took a retrospective discography take on it as well

Darkvoid67
October 7th 2010

Agree with the review entirely but I think I am the only person who prefers this to "Fury"

Crysis
October 7th 2010

I agree with more or less everything you say here.

TheSpirit

Awesome review Styles

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

Emim
October 7th 2010

Yeah, average album. Great review.

MassiveAttack

BOOM!

AbyssalCreation

2041 Comments

ALL YOU OUTSIDERS YOU HATERS AND LIAR YOUR TIME IS JUST COUNTING SO COME MEET THE MOUNTAIN!

album is nostalgic.

Digging: Renounced - The Melancholy We Ache

cvlts
October 7th 2010

totally remember hearin 'swinging the dead' on the freddy v. jason ost.

first time i ever heard of this band. iono, this album has a soft spot for me.

good review, pos.

October 7th 2010

GYromania - the best starting point is either Pray For Villains (the catchiest) or The Last Kind Words (the best, but just not as heavy and "dark" as The Fury of our Maker's Hand, but still more proficient and varied).

Thanks for the kind words all, they are most definitely appreciated.

AbyssalCreation

2041 Comments

I couldn't get into Pray For Villains for the life of me.Last Kind Words and Fury both rule though.

October 7th 2010

Yeah I take The Last Kind Words and Fury as my two favorites also (while slightly preferring The Last kind Words), but I did very much like P4V too. My only gripe was that the first part of the disc was clearly stronger, thus making the track order fairly unbalanced.