Glasser
Ring

by Kiran EMERITUS
September 26th, 2010 | 83 replies | 16,031 views

Review Summary: Totally chiastic.

In fear the album title would sit awkwardly in misunderstanding, True Panther’s streaming of Ring explained that the listening experience meant to be enjoyed with Glasser's debut is supposed to be structured like “the chiastic (or, Ring) structure used in ancient literature”. Though I suppose that's a bit of a task considering the formatting restrictions of releasing an album with a tracklisting, shuffle is the magic button for those of you excited by a non-linear listening experience. Unsurprisingly though, the true brilliance behind Ring isn’t in its title-foreboding design, as undeniably chiastic as it may be, but in the far less forward elements of its creation.

Like White Hinterland’s severely underappreciated Kairos, though Ring is an album drenched in gorgeous waves of synths and heavy, tribal percussion, it’s Cameron Mesirow’s voice that stands firmly as the orchestra’s conductor. There are times on Ring you could even be fooled she’s some sort of pop-favouring apprentice of Fever Ray’s Karin Dreijer Andersson (it's no coincidence they share the same production team). Moments like the end of the brilliant opener “Apply” resemble what’s best about her: the lyric “morning” is sung repeatedly with vocal layers of Mesirow singing the word in different rhythms stacked on each other in the mix. It creates a beautiful wall of sound where the listener can almost feel its shifts and nuances and it’s one of the most remarkable moments on the album.

Though her songs aren’t always as busy as “Apply” might suggest, it’s their expansiveness that remains a constant. The amelodic glockenspiel tinkering that begins and ends “Home” is engaged by handclaps and a looming, melancholic synth melody, “Plane Temp” swirls around a hypnotic, accordion-accompanied chant, and “Tremel” sparkles with a sinister, percussive undercurrent. Ring's scope is tremendously brave for an artist with just one EP under her belt and the way Mesirow manages to balance the different elements of her music in such a careful, unchallenging way is what make this album such a deep experience; you can fall right into it.

This is pop music in its most artful form, the work of deep appreciation and detail. Ring is an album that puts Cameron Mesirow on par with any of the emerging group of experimental female vocalists and if we didn’t notice it before, there’s a Glasser-shaped hole somewhere between Bat For Lashes’ conceptual pop schizophrenia and Fever Ray’s icy soundscapes and Cameron Mesirow is the missing puzzle piece. Debut albums rarely come more accomplished.

Unknown Mortal Orchestra IIBeirut The Rip Tide
Alex Turner Submarine OSTClive Tanaka y Su Orquesta Jet Set Siempre No. 1
Robyn Body TalkThe Concretes WYWH
RadicalElephants (4)
A debut that shows us the promise this artist has....

tuneskies (3.5)
Glasser is an artist to watch, and with this album, Cameron Mesirow has marked her territory....

September 26th 2010

ill clean up and add a summary to the review later, in a rush and wanted to get this out before i get on a plane for 13 hours

Shadow17
September 26th 2010

Awesome review. Like the songs I've heard on youtube. Thanks for pointing out this little gem. It's definitely a unique listen. I'm sure it might be too peculiar for some, but it is likable, I believe.

focksy
September 26th 2010

good review, will check out

StreetlightRock
September 26th 2010

I'm surprised at how infatuated you are with this. That said I quite like it.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

Steoandnoodles
September 26th 2010

I'm going to give it a listen. Hope it's good mr. Kiran ;)

September 26th 2010

I'm surprised at how infatuated you are with this.

i was too but given how i adore both fever ray/the knife and white hinterland's release from earlier this year, i guess i was sort of ready for something like this to blow me away.

StreetlightRock
September 26th 2010

Mmm Fever Ray. I was actually rifing through this girl's last.fm page a few weeks back trying to figure out if she was hot or not. I completely forgot about her until you wrote this, but I still have no idea if I'd tap that. That's uh... all I got.

she makes good music

pizzamachine

Oh man this is good.

thebhoy
September 26th 2010

This is streaming a few places I guess I'll check it out now but I think using structures from ancient literature a bit archaic.

Can I get a drum fill?

plane
September 26th 2010

Kiran I feel like we'd have the best time sitting around sharing music. This is grrrrreat

Athom
September 26th 2010

regretting not seeing her for free the other day

Plutonio
September 26th 2010

Sounds like something I (b4k) would enjoy thoroughly, if not only because it sounds like a wall of pretentiousness.

Electric City

i feel, lewis

Enotron

i'll be checking this out, i adore 3 out of the 4 recommended

move to sweden x

Aids

Sounds good.

I love how btichfork feels the need to explain to the world who he is when he's using an alt.

brutebeard
September 26th 2010

This is wild; I really enjoy it.