Dimmu Borgir
Abrahadabra

good

by Kenneth E. Rathburn USER (71 Reviews)
September 23rd, 2010 | 275 replies

Review Summary: Dimmu Borgir (still) aren't throwing any curveballs.

Ah, yes, Dimmu Borgir. Just about anyone who’s even stumbled upon the term black metal has likely heard about this group simply by reputation. And who can blame the naysayers? The band’s image has only gone downhill in “seriousness,” the lyrics are seldom worth more than a resounding shrug and, as of recent, their releases have been less-than stellar. To make matters worse, both ICS Vortex and Mustis were dismissed from the group, leaving Shagrath, Galder and Silenoz to primarily conjure future material up. This is where the oh-so-darkly-titled Abrahadabra comes into play.

Any listeners curious as to whether Abrahadabra is even worth bothering with need only know one thing: Dimmu Borgir aren’t throwing any curveballs. Pre-release statements from the band (namely Shagrath) indicated that this album would have orchestral influences not unlike 2003’s Death Cult Armageddon. In other words, the music here is essentially the same niche we’ve seen the band attempt since day one, more or less. Some tracks show the influences and returning style cues more than others, but there’s nothing considerably unfamiliar to find. With this in-mind, no one will be shocked to discover that, if compared to their previous efforts, Spiritual Black Dimensions and the aforementioned album are the most immediate siblings.

Of course, most Dimmu Borgir’s fans aren’t necessarily looking for something new or original; they’re content with getting more material as long as it’s good. This is one of the few areas that Abrahadabra is tough to pinpoint, since it’s incredibly mid-ground in quality (not just overall, but in each track). From start to finish there’s hardly a moment that warrants saying something besides “that was decent” (or something of similar regards). There are tracks that fare better than others, such as “Renewal” and “Chess with the Abyss,” both of which step up the heaviness after less imposing entities “Born Treacherous” and “The Demiurge Molecule,” for instance. However, even more notable points such as these could hardly be compared with “Sorgens Kammer” off the original Stormblåst or even “Kings of the Carnival Creation” off Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia.

Another area of peculiar interest comes in the performances from the band members. In spite of countless disparaging remarks, one area that most people have agreed on is the talents of the members who’ve either been in or performed with the band. Here, there’s hardly a strong member present outside of the usually solid Silenoz and Galder. The album could hardly be called guitar-centered, but Galder actually gets some notable riffs and solos out there. Though this might seem off-putting to some, these moments are usually brief and ultimately feel like just a way to spice things up a bit.

Abrahadabra is nothing more than just another Dimmu Borgir album. It’s completely unimposing, won’t change any converts and might be enough to tide some fans over until their next release. However, the lasting impression here isn’t bound to be all that memorable simply because of how boringly consistent it is. Although In Sorte Diaboli and Stormblåst MMV remain the band’s weakest outings to date, Abrahadabra is showing the band in still-tiring light. It’s far from bad, but even a die-hard fan such as myself thinks that it’s about time they re-evaluate themselves or lay low for a while.

Seventh Wonder BecomeThreshold For The Journey
Sonata Arctica Pariah's ChildSonata Arctica Stones Grow Her Name
Sonata Arctica The Days of GraysSonata Arctica Unia
good
holyfolk (4)
This is evil at its very best...

FilthyBorgir (3.5)

Xenorazr
September 24th 2010

Some parts of it are enjoyable and made the whole listening worthwhile, but I'll probably forget all about before the end of the year.

Dryden

wow

ShadowRemains

lol wtf

Deviant.
September 24th 2010

I agree with this review

Digging: Theo Parrish - American Intelligence

BassDemon333

^ lol

Good review though. I'm very tempted to listen to this, despite the fact that not many very many people are liking it.

Ryce
September 24th 2010

What happened to the three-word album titles?

FadeToBlack

abra had abra

Prolapse

abrakebabra

September 24th 2010

Really good review man. I definitely agree with it.

zaruyache
September 24th 2010

I wanted to give this a 2.5 but in comparison to En Sorte it just sucks so much more..

Digging: Maybeshewill - Fair Youth

NeutralThunder12

solid review but...

christ this band is awful

but you gotta love the symphony

megadeth101

y

CladInShadows971
September 24th 2010

I'm actually really enjoying this. No idea why though because I've never really liked their other
stuff. There's some decent lead guitar on here, and Gateways is pretty catchy...

Rugter32
September 24th 2010

I shall listen to this... sometime.

LastLight
September 24th 2010

I liked it a lot more than ISD which was an extreme let down for me, but of course still not as good as earlier
releases.

I am a huge sucker for good production and big orchestrations though, and I absolutely love the overall sound of the
album. I also really like the direction Daray went with the drums (making them sound more natural) as opposed to
Hellhammers DOODOODOODOO triggered everything.

Btw Xibir is a terrible intro.

September 25th 2010

Didnt have time to hear the whole album today nor will I have time tomorrow but the two songs I heard, the single and the one with Garm slayed.

September 25th 2010

Balls saying two Dimmu songs slay? I think the world might be ending.

September 25th 2010

None of these fucking reviews mention Garm you all fail at life.

Also im a minor not so closet Cradle fan so why is it surprising?

September 25th 2010

Well I guess that's true. Just didn't really think this would be your thing, like at all.

September 25th 2010

My love for gimmicky music extends beyond shallow pop.