No Age
Everything In Between

by robin EMERITUS
September 23rd, 2010 | 44 replies

Review Summary: somebody's tamed No Age, so they think.

No Age described Everything in Between as maturation; “not getting boring, just richer.” This is either a lie or a bad grasp on economics, because nobody is going to reach for their wallet the first time they listen to “Glitter.” They did for "Eraser" of Nouns in which the band ripped apart the song's build up and let loose, but their latest single is content to glide in noise rather than blow up in it. In 2008 I was frightened of these rebels, so I thank Everything in Between for letting me be me, the guy too scared to sing along. It’s a rebel, but a crumpled one.

Everything in Between might just be my favourite No Age record for all the wrong reasons, then. It beggars belief that an album so underwhelming can be so satisfying, and moreso when it comes from two dudes with passion as high as the volume can go. Of course, it's only underwhelming to start with, and it’s still that loud, but easier and more digestible. They were right, this isn’t boring, it just goes down better. “Fever Dreaming” is still raucous and pissed off, a dream for demented distortion freaks. “Skinned” is a huge punk song that grows chorus to chorus, and knows it- it's possibly their most structured song. And of course, there’s “Glitter,” the album’s first single: at first it sounds dull (duller in the context of the band who made it), but for all its swishing and swirling it eventually reveals itself a winner, so long as you stop waiting for big finishes. After all, it’s as huge as No Age have ever been- a guitar is, as always, being scraped to pieces behind the scenes. And really, I could rave on about the first six songs on this album all day. At first they won’t quench the thirst of any die-hard because they aren’t as pulsating as “Miner” or “Sleeper Hold.” They’re as good, though, if only because No Age is okay waiting for us to appreciate them. For No Age, patience is a first. And you will get there with “Life Prowler” even if it isn’t dropping hammers, because it’s as catchy and weirdly transcendent as the next man’s fuzz.

I don’t want to be the one to pigeon-hole Everything in Between by calling it ‘maturation’ because I don’t think that would do this record half the justice it deserves: No Age are still writing songs with goalless grins on their faces, and like the best pop, they don’t go for sections or arrangements. The duo attest to that by creating an album with six singles and seven arguably useless tracks, and to fire that fact home they lead Everything In The Between with the six singles. As a result, some among us won’t bother with the bookends, but they'll be missing this band at their niftiest; the fun of finishing off rocking out with fuzzy instrumentals like “Katerpillar,” “Dusted” and “Positive Amputation.” And the moments slotted sneakily in between, such as the understated (and slower) “Valley Hump Crash” and, of course, the album’s loudest and proudest, “Shed and Transcend.”

The best tracks may be the most unexpected. “Common Heat” is stripped bare, and not just musically. This anthem of desperation is as naked as No Age have ever been, and the fact that we've never seen this side of them will stop you twice before you write off Everything in Between as "boring." At the end of the day, first impressions aren’t ever as deceiving as this. The songs on Everything in Between may consult the rule book from time to time, but the album sure as hell doesn’t.

Everything in Between is streaming at http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2010/sep/20/no-age-everything-in-between

Sharon Van Etten Are We ThereHis Hero Is Gone Fifteen Counts of Arson
Superchunk I Hate MusicThe Weakerthans Reconstruction Site
The Waterboys This Is the SeaOwen At Home With Owen
Ryan Flatley EMERITUS (3.5)
No Age are certainly living in the moment, and Everything In Between has a similar retention factor....

tuneskies (4)
While Everything In Between might falter from time to time, it’s a breath of fresh air in a musica...

you would

Digging: Holy Sons - Lost Decade II

=(

Athom
September 23rd 2010

somebody make this man staff, please.

Digging: Inigo Kennedy - Vaudeville

20374 Comments

haha no, I meant, "You would : )"

I love the way you set this up, the review that is. No Age is totally indie now

September 23rd 2010

well i mean, they must be indie if i like them eh! and thank you both and things.

Enotron
September 23rd 2010

I've never really liked No age. albums bore me, live show with cap'n jazz was pretty average. idk.

Kiran
September 23rd 2010

"skinned" is glorious, great album

September 23rd 2010

Nouns sucks so hard compared to this. The review doesn't fully make sense to me. You describe the songs well but I don't think I grasp the point you want to make with the descriptions.

September 23rd 2010

argh. my bad. i would explain what i meant here but it's probably best i try and straighten out the review instead.

iarescientists

>:|

September 23rd 2010

I've re-read it a few times to get a better grasp on the review, and most of the issue is just in that first paragraph. You've got good ideas here (many I agree with as viewed in my soundoff), you just need to maybe articulate a little more thoroughly (namely "Nobody is going to know why these skater-punks are so set on a single with rules rather than broken ones, and with motions gone through rather than barriers broken...").

Sexy as always, no age 4ev

September 23rd 2010

thanks for help. i've tried to rewrite the first paragraph slightly more distinct and less flowery, might plough on into the 2nd soon.

edit - i went through first, second and fourth paragraphs and tried to tie it together. hope it makes more sense now!

oui oui

good news =)

Enotron

>:|

now cap'n jazz on the other hand...

AggravatedYeti
September 23rd 2010

god damn this album is good.

I'll definitely have to listen to this more, but I liked Nouns : (