New Kids On The Block
Hangin' Tough

by Mixiegirl USER (3 Reviews)
September 22nd, 2010 | 25 replies | 6,170 views

Release Date: 1988 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An iconic album that defined what "boy-band" was meant to sound like.

"Classic" is clearly a subjective term. I believe that Metallica's Master of Puppets is a classic heavy metal album, because it is purely metal...screeching guitars, power chords, dark lyrics, screaming vocals....just an amazing representation of that kind of music. Similarly, Hangin' Tough is a classic and iconic boy-band album, because it is purely bubblegum pop, boy-band music. The songs are catchy and fun, and perfectly written for its audience...adolescent females. The background music is basic pop, simple musical interludes, and the lyrics and vocals are sweet. "You Got It (The Right Stuff)" is a great, poppy, upbeat opening song and ballads such as "Please Don't Go Girl" and "I'll Be Loving You (Forever)" melt the hearts of many girls worldwide. "Hangin' Tough" is a wonderful anthem of positive action for young people.

Hangin' Touch is an amazing representation of what "boy-band" music should sound like, and defined that music for acts like 'NSync, Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees, Take That, etc. for years to come. Whether you like it or not, this album touched the hearts of many people, sold lots of copies, and set the stage for a whole genre of music, and thus, simply a classic.

2.3
BigHans (1)
What a botched abortion sounds like....

ummmmmmmmmm. counter review?

take that, Hans.

Digging: Symptom - Caverns Of Katabasis

September 22nd 2010

oh and good review for a first, so I'll pos. I'd say try to write a bit more next time, maybe discuss the music more in-depth.

oh yeah, and whether you're really a girl or not, prepare to be harrassed into oblivion by Sputnerds

Spec

More like hangin' loose.

September 22nd 2010

I love the rest of your ratings MixieGirl, classic rock ftw.

September 22nd 2010

Hans, I thought your review was far more detailed and entertaining than mine...I couldn't counter that even if I tried! I just believed differently about the album's merits, and felt it appropriate to express that, although with less eloquence than you did, of course.

September 22nd 2010

Hans, thanks! Inveigh, I am indeed a girl, and thanks for the warning! There's nothing I love better than discussing music, so I'm looking forward to the fun.

September 22nd 2010

(looks at Hans' review's summary, glances back at Mixiegirl's "eloquence" comment, looks back at Hans' summary, lols).

Hans' review is awesome though

cvlts
September 22nd 2010

surprisingly thorough for a two paragraph review.

Digging: Pedro the Lion - It's Hard To Find A Friend

September 22nd 2010

Mixie, how old are you? just wondering if you were around when this was popular.

September 22nd 2010

Hans I was around during the whole NKOTB popularity extravaganza. Why?

September 22nd 2010

because most of the people on the site are under 18, and weren't born when this came out.

I am indeed a girl

ohh.. well. *clears throat, straightens tie* I'm Inveigh. Nice to meet you.

NeutralThunder12

so whos alt is this

theacademy
September 22nd 2010

wait but this band is a lot more metal than metallica actually

PanasonicYouth

FEEEMAAAAAAALE

btw nice soundoff

iamnotchan
September 22nd 2010

[img]http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/image.php?u=443415&dateline=1285209954[/img][img]http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/image.php?u=443415&dateline=1285209954[/img][img]http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/image.php?u=443415&dateline=1285209954[/img][img]http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/image.php?u=443415&dateline=1285209954[/img][img]http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/image.php?u=443415&dateline=1285209954[/img]

btw nice soundoff[2]

Irving
September 22nd 2010

Very succinct; and it works! =D?

Digging: Caleb McAlpine - All Things New