The Rise of Science
Casey

by Josh D. USER (10 Reviews)
September 17th, 2010 | 30 replies | 7,791 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

If I didn’t know any better, I would think that Claudio Sanchez had a side project that no one really knows about. At the very least, Anthony Green was doing a lot of guest vocal work for bands with better songs.

The comparisons have been towards The Rise of Science, a band whose name isn’t very relevant, it seems. The potential for TROS is easily audible, with their elegant guitars layered over post hardcore drumming. Everything sounds like it’s in place, but as was hinted at previously, there is just one glaring drawback. The vocal work isn’t particularly pleasant, subjectively of course.

This isn’t to say Catlin Boswell’s voice isn’t inviting, or all that much inaccessible. His key work is certainly pleasant, but unless a listener is keen on higher, seemingly monotone anti-crooning akin to Adam Fisher, the voice becomes either an acquired taste or a necessary evil. I hope this isn’t coming off a bit harsh for those that will enjoy him. It’s obviously just not my favorite style. Technically, he is not just competent, but good. It’s the tone that will cause polarity.

Personal reservations aside, Casey is an enjoyable venture in to a bit more sophisticated rock music. The “post” elements coupled with a brand of music that falls short of progressive make an interesting argument for how well put together the album is. Structurally, TROS takes a few different directions, taking care to include a ballad of sorts that showcases Boswell’s voice in a more positive light, once again, subjectively of course.

The band’s wide range of influences is pretty forward itself. TROS has recorded covers of Prince and The Verve Pipe. If it you aren’t at least curious about a band’s original material based on something like that, it makes one wonder why. The dual guitars interspersing clean tones in a well produced package draw off of the sound of the album that is backed by keyboards and even non-guitar stringed instruments. Even through the heavier parts, the band continues to make beautiful sections.

The Rise of Science have made a worthy addition to the realm of post hardcore styled rock music. Overall, Casey is a pleasurable experience for anyone looking for Circa Survive’s nearest competition.

Mohican Honest RedPhineas Newborn, Jr. A World of Piano!
The Dreaded Diamond Healthy FearsDavid Axelrod Songs of Experience
Lands SubtitlesTrophywife An Innocent Orphan In The Post-Modern World

whywontyoudie
September 17th 2010

these guys live in the atlanta area, which is about an hour away from me. i had the chance to hang out with them after one of their shows in my town about 2 years ago and they're all really nice guys. very good live performance. good review, describes the nature of the music without giving too much away.

whywontyoudie
September 17th 2010

i know they're in the process of recording a new album, you should review that whenever it comes out.

September 17th 2010

Good review Josh. I kinda figured the vocals wouldn't be your jam. I literally downloaded this last
night thinking "damn there needs to be a review of this a.s.a.p"

I think the vocals are sincerely perfect at fitting the music. and there is a lot of stand out
tracks with just magnificent guitar/keys. Then again my bias seems to be your opposite, I loveeee
the whiny vocals. alot.

have a pos my friend

edit: Josh if you want to go on a review rampage. there's quite a few bands I could rec to you, and
you could decide if you like any enough to review, or hell. Bash them :D

ConsiderPhlebas
September 17th 2010

Nice review. I'm not sure about the last sentence in the first paragraph, though. If the reader has any sense they won't judge the review by your taste in other bands, and if they do, and choose to bitch about it, it's better to just ignore them than acknowledge their idiocy in a premeditated way. Pos.

SoapySoap
September 17th 2010

I love this album. They're amazing live.

VicariousIntent

Hmm, sounds like something I'd be interested in. Good review dude. Have a pos

Emim

Bam. Pos'd.

Curse.

science, what a joke

bailar12
September 18th 2010

another josh d review? could it be true?!

another enrique post?

hot.

Curse.
September 18th 2010

none of this is really real

bailar12

mi amor

I'm

"The concept of right and wrong"

see what I did there. Solid

Why you gotta hate Josh.

September 18th 2010

Damn well better. We're linked by our love of being jacked. and Junz.

Nothing will take this away from us.

I can show you the world...etc.

hahahahahha.

Didn't know the world was considered to be so small..

rofl witty come back.

why do I like what

September 18th 2010

Because I love post-hardcore/post-rock.

I like the 'heavier songs' (faster songs) a lot more than the slower songs. But I really like the higher guitar noodling around all over the place. with high pitch vocals..mmm, high pitch circa survive-y vocals...yeah. My tastes are weird I know

You sly motherfucker.

Josh D.
November 13th 2010

My posts being deleted makes this thread look retarded.