World's End Girlfriend
Seven Idiots

good

by Eric USER (161 Reviews)
September 15th, 2010 | 73 replies

Review Summary: Not a signal of progression as much it is of an artist losing his musical sanity.

Upon hearing Seven Idiots I thought I had mistakenly stumbled upon the wrong album, for this isn’t the World’s End Girlfriend from Hurtbreak Wonderland or his glorious split with Mono. It feels ridiculous drawing comparisons between the past and present for the Japanese solo artist, so instead it would be a more reasonable idea to ditch expectations altogether and enjoy Seven Idiots for what it is. But what is Seven Idiots? Mindlessly incoherent, like the blabbering of the prophesizing idiot on the side of the road? Or creatively genius and mesmerizing, perhaps even beautiful in the most bizarre of ways... like the blabbering of the prophesizing idiot on the side of the road? Seven Idiots is difficult to genre-tag, to say the least. Regardless, Seven Idiots is impressively original, and how much you value creativity and originality will ultimately determine how much you enjoy World’s End Girlfriend’s latest.

If there’s one tenet of the album that remains constant throughout, it is the disjointed nature of Seven Idiots. Admittedly, I know little about Japanese culture; but WEG’s 2010 LP only strengthens the stereotype I have that all Japanese are, in fact, video-game-playing, stimulus-craving, technology fiends. Bleeps and bloops don’t quite cut it when using onomatopoeia to describe the plethora of sounds here. From distorted saxophones and gliding string sections to electronic sampling galore, with seemingly-random piano melodies strewn throughout, it makes me wonder where Katsuhiko Maeda’s sanity went since Hurtbreak Wonderland.

The album has different stages. Seven Idiots starts out with more sampling, dense instrumentation, and heavy on the production. As the album moves on, WEG progresses to a more minimalist style, adding some nice percussion into the equation that helps to balance the insane juxtaposition of beats and melodies. Still, Maeda seems to have a hard time calming down and letting water settle a little before he jumps in for another cannonball. In effect, the songs themselves feel untidy and incomplete, like they’re never truly fleshed out.

The disjointed nature of Maeda’s Seven Idiots is both the album’s downfall and surprising high point. On one hand, the album is devoid of any continuity or coherence. It feels like a movie with awe-inspiring special effects, but with no plot to complement it (and I’m talking like, less that “Avatar” plot-line). The 1.3 hours is exhausting, trying to keep up with WEG’s jarring shifts. I can’t help but want for some semblance of the staggering atmospheric bliss of World’s End Girlfriend’s past. It’s a shame too, because the creativity and originality are wasted. With a more orchestration and composition, Seven Idiots had the chance to be a brilliant success. For instance, there are definite moments of bliss in between all the madness. Look towards “GALAXY KID 666” and “unfinished finale shed?” namely, but mesmerizing moments of magnificence are sewn throughout, as if only to say, “Look at what I could have done.” Whether it’s a distorted saxophone matching up nicely next to an unexpected guitar riff or a surprising dropout of instruments into a period of near-silence, the spine-tingling moments of Seven Idiots are wedged pretty deeply within the jumbled jargon.

Give the guy some credit, though. Katsuhiko Maeda took an impressive risk with Seven Idiots. Starting his own record label, Virgin-Babylon, to self-release his newest, and incorporating a new recording method where he - get this - tracks complete vocal duties for each of his entire songs, then filling in the freaky and quirky instrumentation afterwards and removing the vocals, was a bold move. Seven Idiots has moments of inventive ecstasy, gratifying and seamless in their execution. It’s a shame that World’s End Girlfriend seems to have jumped the shark and went overboard in his implementation of excess creativity, because if he exhibited a little more control there’s little stopping Seven Idiots from being a post-rock powerhouse. So take a listen to what used to be a very serene, calculated artist losing his sanity. It’s just as disappointing, fun, unfulfilling and incredibly interesting, as it sounds.

Mogwai Rave TapesTau Tau Eyelids
Ghost Ship Golden GirlsCrosses EP
Warren Franklin Your Heart Belongs To The MidwestFrightened Rabbit A Frightened Rabbit EP

20515 Comments

So many mixed feelings about this it's not even funny. hope my review isn't shit because of it.

Some of you are gonna go bonkers over this and it'll be understandable.

Some of you will despise it and it will be understandable

Digging: Pharmakon - Bestial Burden

fromtheinside
September 15th 2010

i'm not worried cause recitation is destroying ever post-rock album i'm hearing this year. this is a
great review. if i'm not mistaken i think i've heard a song or two from this and wasn't impressed so
essentially i share your thoughts.

Digging: Devin Townsend Project - Z2

September 15th 2010

Great review, Eric. I never cared much for World's End Girlfriend to begin with though :/

Digging: Lantlos - .neon

Deviant.

Good review, but I disagree SeaEmery

NeutralThunder12
September 15th 2010

fantastic review. This guy is incredible, but I have yet to hear this.

September 15th 2010

didn't this leak like two hours ago

thanks guys

and thanks Deviant, and like I said I totally see some people loving this, it's warranted. it's gonna get really mixed reactions, im betting

porch

I hope you're wrong about this

20515 Comments

and no chan it didn't I've had it since last week so there.

now on to new Film School which is proving to be really fucking awesome

edit, like I said porch, some users will really like this. but don't expect anything like their past stuff, really

feav233
September 15th 2010

Planning on getting to this tonight

Deviant.
September 15th 2010

Funny thing is I only added this to the database like half an hour ago

20515 Comments

haha yeah I know Deviant... I was editing this and started preparing to add it in but I hate doing that so I checked quick and sure enough you beat me to it

NeutralThunder12
September 15th 2010

"neutral you might absolutely love this, especially seeing how much you like Program Music if Im not mistaken?"

Well, yes.

But I also love everything I've heard from this guy (Hurtbreak Wonderland and the underrated Dream's End Comes True)

theacademy

I hope you're wrong about this

i like how basically a 3 is the review you write when a band you like disappoints you. it says "good," but nobody looks at a 3.0 for an album they were anticipating as anything other than 'urgh, shiiiiiiiiit'

Digging: Jessie Ware - Tough Love

20515 Comments

I debated giving this a 2.5, academy, but even with its faults I still maintain that this is "good."

Xenophanes
September 15th 2010

Where did you get this?! I can't even find a place to buy this.

Was not impressed by the single

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io

20515 Comments

I came back to my position at my school's radio station so I get releases a week or two early : )

and it's out... I couldn't tell you where, but you should be able to find it, right?

September 15th 2010

I really enjoy when lots of electronics are mixed in with post-rock, will check this out.

kingsoby1

extremely wordy review

20515 Comments

Hm, you mean in like saying too much and going in circles in general, or literally using too many words to describe something? Would you mind helping me out, please?