Gospel
The Moon Is a Dead World

by MrConnection USER (3 Reviews)
September 7th, 2010 | 1710 replies | 62,382 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Awe-inspiring.

It truly pains me to pinpoint a band that better exemplifies the word “unique” as Gospel. As extraordinary and different The Moon Is A Dead World is, it certainly makes me think “unique” gets tacked on to bands a little too often. The passion so evident on Gospel’s only full-length isn’t suppressed simply to tenacious screaming, as is par for the course. Rather, The Moon Is A Dead World floors listeners with a distinct flavor of screamo all their own- equal parts spellbinding and awe-inspiring. Be it heavy, escalating build-ups or the cathartic releases of riff upon riff at the top, Gospel transcends musical barriers, made evident by the fact that it’s so well-loved both inside and outside the genre.

Like a hungry and probably purple giant on a rampage, Gospel is relentless and often somewhat terrifying, even. From tenacious riffing and exasperating drumming on “Golden Dawn,” to the anthemic progressive behemoth “What Means of Witchery,” The Moon Is A Dead World is an aggressive monster of an album. In effect, that larger-then-life sentiment is so utterly pointed that Gospel renders an almost otherworldly experience throughout The Moon Is A Dead World. Complemented fittingly by lyrics of the apocalypse, of fallen empires, the album is consistent as hell, with dizzying dynamics of depressive desolation. Comparisons to more worldly entities just don’t cut it when describing The Moon Is A Dead World. No... Gospel calls for a juxtaposition against giants and monsters, against the apocalypse, the supernatural and the staggering.

By branching out upon screamo’s late 90’s roots and creating something utterly groundbreaking, The Moon Is A Dead World truly defines screamo in the last decade, as this seemed to be the most prominent trend. Grounded in the caustic aesthetic of hardcore and coupled with the progressive tendencies of yes, Yes, Gospel truly carve a path all to themselves. By combining aspects that sound ludicrous on paper, it’s no wonder the band wasn’t pursued by imitators attempting to follow their trail. Perhaps that’s part of the beauty- the fact that no band has come close to the behemoth. The sheer grandiosity and tenacity of their sound is intimidating, setting apart Gospel from even their most lofty contemporaries. It’s certainly no coincidence that the band’s next release is accompanied by tidal waves of excitement; in fact, I can’t think of a more deserving recipient.

4.4
Hogan CONTRIBUTOR (4.5)
Slowing Down is Futile....

complexorigins (5)
Like a nickel you find in a gutter on the street...

Jared W. Dillon (5)
'you look so good you make me not want to kill myself'...

Xenophanes
September 7th 2010

Not necessary, but it's a good review. Pos

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

Enotron

album is so awesome

paulbunker85
September 7th 2010

that didn't seem so much like an album review as it seemed like you touting the greatness of gospel.

alachlahol
September 7th 2010

no idea what the fuck this review even said. too many words/sentences used in an improper context

good album

September 7th 2010

I need to listen to this again, because I obviously don't get it yet.

September 7th 2010

maybe I need to give it time to grow also. But yes, I don't get the hype.

Foxhound

Spare

Digging: Radiator Hospital - Torch Song

September 7th 2010

Agreed that their sound has never really been matched. A Golden Dawn is a giant in any context.

Kubrick
September 7th 2010

Already listened to this twice today... truly a fantastic album with virtually no dull moments whatsoever. I liked it at first but it definitely took some time to fully appreciate for sure.. probably about 10-12 listens until it fully clicked with me. Not sure if its a classic.. time will tell.

crazyblinddude
September 7th 2010

Cool. Finally another review for this. Album is fantastic.

PinkBlackberry
September 7th 2010

I've had this on my iPod for a long time but admittedly never really gave it a listen. Going to have to change that right about now

NeutralThunder12
September 7th 2010

overrated. so overrated. great review

PinkBlackberry
September 7th 2010

I think the only downfall this band showcases is their vocalist...Not saying he is bad let me
make that clear...I just think the vocals need to be a bit more commanding, to kinda take the reins
from the drumming and guitar a bit.

September 7th 2010

Thought this was gonna be a chambered review. Really well-written, pos.

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

September 7th 2010

I can see that Pink, but I think it somehow benefits them. I feel like a vocalist way in the forefront would threaten the almost live-show feel of the production.

September 7th 2010

Yeah I love how it almost sounds like the band is eating the vocals the whole time. Production is flawless imo.

September 7th 2010

Is there any word on a possible LP, after that single?

I prefer FUNERAL DINER