Galleons
Swans EP

by fromtheinside USER (130 Reviews)
September 1st, 2010 | 25 replies

Review Summary: "Anger is a brief madness" - Horace, Epistles

Galleons’ sole purpose is to infect the mind with frustration; the process executed with techniques near indiscernible to the ear through which it enters. Blazing trails of anger surmounted with lavishing displays of dissonance, frenetic leads, throw away time signatures, and a vocalist who encapsulates everything between death metal growls to Mikee Goodman-esque cleans. Honestly, don’t fuck with Galleons, they don’t sound like the kind of band that settles an argument with words – solely because they don’t waste time putting forth an understanding in their lyrics. Breakdowns are a facet but never a factor as they're dropped as soon as they find footing aiding in the tortured comfort Galleons are consistently creating. The tension’s wrought with despair but lulled with a sense of premise as there are moments of clarity, however few and far between. Of course this is a subtle tactic enforced before reengaging the madness.

Though Swans is only three songs long, Galleons cover more in the span of two minutes than a modern metalcore band does throughout their existence. Oh, did I say metalcore? Truth be told, Galleons know no bounds. There are clear traces of The Dillinger Escape Plan running through their veins with hints of The Arusha Accord splicing their breaths. Heavy fans of dissonance, surely, they mark their territory with blistering speeds racketeering all the mosh worthy segments in the most unnoticeable of fashions. What I mean is, Galleons portray instances of beauty and beast aligning fans of distancing genres without even a blink of the eye.

Between the crushing opener that cast spells of incandescent noodling, something that wouldn’t feel out of place on a BTBAM opener, and its intoxicating successor that battles intuition of pop necessities, Galleons set up a difficult premise. Exactly how diverse can the band be within three songs? Pretty freaking diverse (excuse my French). The mellowness shared between tracks two and three is a folly. Abetting the madness the closing two minutes are the most frantic and unsettling of the eight minute piece. Bouncing throughout death-pop-synth styling’s before rounding out with a disconnected breakdown that rivals fury heard on any Victory Records release.

With so much substance packed within eight minutes I still feel as though I’ve left something out. Did I mention the female guest spot that croons its way halfway into the record and then leaves without even an acknowledgement of her presence? The pulse pounding drumming that segues each of the songs triumphant moments of build ups and then cutoffs before the seemingly disparaging cliffs? And how could I have ever missed a moment to mention the ambient aspects Swans faintly creates? My mind seems to be infected.

Norma Jean WrongdoersThe Contortionist Language
Code Orange I Am KingPyrrhon The Mother of Virtues
Cult Leader Nothing for Us HereChevelle La Gargola

19029 Comments

bloc, you better love this.

Digging: Ibex Throne - Ibex Throne

September 1st 2010

Haha, thanks for the shout out. I am currently listening.

Digging: The Birthday Massacre - Superstition

nice, lemme know.

September 1st 2010

Ehhh, this is okay. Not bad, but not excellent. It has more in common with The Boy Will Drown, whom I just cannot get into.

Nice try LP, although Woe, Is Me destroys this :D

19029 Comments

you are officially the funniest person I know.

cvlts

hey heyy!

this was really good! a bit of a mind fuck. my problem with this is that is just sorta ended abruptly.

solid review.

19029 Comments

i agree. had this been longer or included a more appropriate closer i would be head over heels.

still, this is an EP and i think they established the teaser feeling well enough, i can't wait to see
what they put out on a full length.

September 1st 2010

Yeah, only 3 songs kinda sucks but I will definitely want to listen to a full release as well.

JustJoe

Oh my...

I think, I kinda like.

September 1st 2010

Heavens to Murgatroyd this is good!

i know, i know.

September 1st 2010

And did you see that music video for that song? I think this band is insane.

19029 Comments

didn't know they already had a video up. which song?

September 1st 2010

The Compass Points North. It's messed up.

Mordecai.
September 2nd 2010

looks cool as shit. getting it now. sweet review too.

sexpoi
September 2nd 2010

this sounds pretty good, ima have to check this out. good review man

19029 Comments

oh that video was pretty kewl.

September 2nd 2010

Weird video and I'm surprised how a small band got to make a music video already

PinkBlackberry
September 3rd 2010

Nice review, Really good find too. I Really dig these guys, Video was kinda lame though. I was reading
your guys' comments before I went n watched it..Kinda was hoping for ..moar grossness. although the
crack with her leather strap at the start rocked.

edit: Fuck the vocals are awesome.

September 9th 2010

19029 Comments

love this a lot more now.