Jakob
Dominion

by Andrew H. EMERITUS
August 30th, 2010 | 46 replies | 10,334 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A loose, meandering thing of beauty.

At just under thirty minutes, Dominion is the longest piece of music Jakob have released so far in their career. Despite the length, Dominion is fairly conventional Jakob, if less structured and refined. Dominion essentially begins with one melodic idea that sounds like the brother of Cale:drew's "I Was Hidden" and is explored for approximately five minutes. The rest of the track is devoted to another idea that morphs, expands, and contracts through the use of dynamics, subtle changes in guitar techniques and slight shifts in tonality.

While Jakob's other releases usually feature a number of expansive, guitar-based soundscape tracks spread over an hour or so, Dominion feels much more loose and personal. The ambient swells, strong rhythms and dense, textural bass parts give way to moments of noise and chaos, all converging to evoke an emotional response of fear, regret, longing, triumph, and hope that manages to feel physical, not just abstract. The effect is so potent that attempting to translate the experience into words seems futile.

Dominion was recorded during the sessions for Cale:drew and it wouldn't surprise me if the entire release was just an edited jam session. The record sounds like three musicians who know each other intimately and are allowing a thing of beauty to take place in front of them without interfering or tinkering too heavily. Dominion, though not a major release, is every bit as wonderful as Jakob's full-length releases and though the sound is familiar, the free-form nature of the composition gives it a feeling that separates it ever so slightly from the other records. A different sort of record, certainly, but one that remains a distinct conglomeration of the three personalities behind it.

White Suns Waking in the ReservoirPurplene Purplene
Quiet Steps Think AloudGrinderman Grinderman 2
Norma Jean MeridionalRosetta A Determinism of Morality

Solace

DhA
August 30th 2010

I've never heard of this band and your review does nothing to tell me what they sound like. No offence.

natey
August 30th 2010

I like all that I've heard by this band so I'm going to find this now

DiceMan
August 30th 2010

Cover looks post-modern enough for me. I'll check it out. Maybe.

rasputin
August 30th 2010

the review gave me a pretty good idea of what it sounds like so maybe you're just dumb

Fort23

SeaAnemone

19755 Comments

been meaning to check these guys out, I'll probably start here

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

kyleisgreat
August 30th 2010

Saw these guys open for isis, they kicked ass.

iranscam
August 30th 2010

Solace kills. Didn't know they had a new'n on the way.

August 30th 2010

Cale:Drew is amazing. Still need to get Solace.

DhA
August 30th 2010

Nah, he should use some kind of loose genre to describe it. Comparing it to another band I haven't heard of doesn't help at all. Like I said it was well written I just thought this was a fundamental flaw. It's not about me being dumb but this review is useless to me.

gaslightanthem
August 30th 2010

it's like you haven't even read the review

August 30th 2010

Why don't you just go to the band's page?

Review is great.

crazyblinddude
August 30th 2010

Nice review. I need to check out this band some more.

August 30th 2010

I believe this is Aaron Harris' favorite band. I actually got Cale:Drew after asking him which album to start with over Twitter.

crazyblinddude
August 30th 2010

That's pretty cool. I should start tweeting musicians. Seems like a lot of the lesser known bands actually reply to your comments.

August 30th 2010

I've gotten replys from his, Converge, Hydra Head Records, Relapse Records, and Norma Jean's vocalist. Oh and I think Thrice was indirectly replying to me one time when they said that they were recording a cover and I kept guessing what it was after asking for hints.

Yeah, I'm a fag.

br3ad_man
August 30th 2010

Didn't know they had a new'n on the way.

I think they start recording in September. Some dude on vimeo has a great live recording of one of the new songs. It's awesome.

Post-rock, if you must. I sort of though the genre categories for the database on Sputnik would be enough to explain but I understand your point as well. I didn't want to write anything huge describing what they sound like because it's a minor release and they have three other LPs (with reviews for two of them).

AtavanHalen

nice soundoff lol

Hyperion1001
August 30th 2010

Band rules really hard. My favorite so far is Solace.

Digging: Huerco S - Colonial Patterns

DiceMan
August 30th 2010

Guys I don't know what this sounds like from the review.