Departures
Escaping

by fromtheinside USER (127 Reviews)
August 24th, 2010 | 53 replies | 13,012 views

Review Summary: uh...

Honestly, that is the only sound I can muster to begin describing how powerful this album is. You know how More Than Life would be the next ‘it’ band if they got their vocal issues together? Well, here you go. Taking melodic hardcore to the extreme, this is like Modern Life Is War releasing a follow up EP to Witness. Shutthefuckup fromtheinside I know you’re thinking, but dammit I say this convey the possibility that maybe this band is too good to be true. I mean the EP is only ten minutes long so maybe I’m missing something, but the beauty under the bite of their tracks is astounding. It won’t take long to understand this opening track “Disappointment” barks loud in showing the bands teeth. Distortion that magnifies the intensity of the battered vocalist, who sounds like someone trying to rip his voice from him as he screams his way to safety, sends this song and the other three all the way to the bank.

Initially this EP was released as a split with Atlantic Hearts another act from London, but since signing with Fist in the Air records they re-released their material as a single EP. This was a fantastic idea because they rule. As we get back to the music you’ll learn that the two closing tracks “The View From Below” and “Weak Before Winter” are not your typical hardcore outings. The latter rolling around some of the heaviest shit heard from the genre this year, and oh yeah, they do all this without the clichés, you know exasperating breakdowns and gang shouting etc… One thing you’ll notice when listening is how the drums refuse to be ignored; in fact the bass pedal secretly desires to be the lead singer with its thundering lines often outscoring the lead vocalist. This is ok, because there’s a beautiful balance between all the bands instruments – hear the twenty-six second tirade “To Those Concerned” for further proof.

Pyrrhon The Mother of VirtuesCult Leader Nothing for Us Here
Chevelle La GargolaVales Wilt And Rise
Nero Di Marte Nero Di MartePolygons Rifts

adding to the blog now.

i should hype this up moar.

Digging: Lord Mantis - Death Mask

accompliceofmydeath
August 24th 2010

Sounds awesome. Adding to my list of stuff to check out. You find all of the good non-breakdown-y hardcore, man. How do ya do it?

Digging: Crowbar - Crowbar

August 24th 2010

i try to follow the blogs of bands i love (ie. defeater, la dispute) and often times they'll talk about bands that they're playing that are cool, or some shit like that.

thanks, you should definitely check this out.

accompliceofmydeath

Ahh, I see. Will do.

August 24th 2010

where the fuck do you keep finding these?

edit: nvm.

get rid of that summary, yo.

Digging: Pedro the Lion - It's Hard To Find A Friend

TheSpirit
August 24th 2010

not sure how i feel about this review. not one of your best

Digging: Sexdrome - Grown Younger

August 24th 2010

actually, real question is: since when did you start listening to so much goddamn underground hardcore?

i know, i know.
it's getting a little ridiculous.
i think since travels blew my mind, i wanted to get everything under the sun like it. More Than Life and this are the closest things I've found yet.

Winsomniac
August 24th 2010

Review mentioned Witness. This better be good.

August 24th 2010

"Shutthefuckup fromtheinside I know you’re thinking"

August 24th 2010

ya ur fuckin crazy for that.

Winsomniac
August 24th 2010

2 moar comments and fti hits 6k! New users beware.

SeaAnemone
August 24th 2010

you and chambered been findin' so much good shit this year, makes sputnik actually worthwhile for looking for new hardcore / post-hardcore releases, for real.

shoulderkolibri
August 24th 2010

Damn where do* you find all these good bands? XD

artist blogs.

check this out and rate it.

Mordecai.

i like it

Douglas

TAAAAAKE EVERYTHING FROM THE INSIDE

August 24th 2010

oohh douglas, so original...

Douglas
August 24th 2010

Just showing that I am hip and cool with cool guys

August 25th 2010

That album art is really good