Eels
Tomorrow Morning

by vanderb0b USER (63 Reviews)
August 21st, 2010 | 17 replies | 3,883 views

Review Summary: Always look on the bright side of life...

Of what I learned in my seventh grade English class years ago, I remember only one thing: every journey has a Beginning and an End, and during the time in between those two moments, the journeyman experiences fundamental, often life-changing alterations in his character. I suppose, then, that the latest trilogy of EELS albums, this being Hombre Lobo, End Times, and, most recently, Tomorrow Morning, is in every way a journey. The first chapter began with frontman Mark Everett (also known as E) hopelessly in love and torn apart by loneliness and isolation, and the second with E once again torn by loneliness and isolation, but this time because said girl (which, it appears, he courted successfully) left him. Tomorrow Morning, however, shows E as a new, changed man-one that decides to, despite being alone, look at the bright side of life and finally not be afraid of optimism.

Simply put, Tomorrow Morning is a happy album, not as happy as the predominantly-pink album cover suggests, but, especially when viewed alongside the band’s past material, E’s newfound joy is quite apparent. Tomorrow Morning ranges from bittersweet to ecstatic, which, when compared to pervious albums (that ranged from depressed to bitter), is quite a change. E expresses his gratitude towards the world, admits his love towards a woman, and, as always, expresses his love for birds, and this is done without an ounce of bitterness or harshness.

The now-confident E isn’t scared of experimenting with sounds and textures that he would have never even considered ten years ago. Looking Up has a gospel choir backing his raspy voice, string arrangements make I’m A Hummingbird even more tender, and the synths and female vocals in Mystery Of Life kindle the song and make it infinitely more jovial. In short, Tomorrow Morning is the band’s most adventurous album, and for this it’s all the better: all of these “experiments”, aside from the somewhat annoying shouts of “Baby love me!” (in the song of the same name), turn out being surprisingly effective.

And yet, despite this experimentation replacing the minimalistic arrangements of the past albums, Tomorrow Morning still sounds like an EELS album. For example, Oh So Lovely, a tender serenade, would have fit in on any constituent of the band’s back catalog, if not lyrically then musically. In truth, every one of the album’s melodies is unmistakably an EELS melody, but with the adventurous arrangements and sanguine tone, these tunes seem genuinely refreshing and new.

Easily EELS’ best post-Blinking Lights album, Tomorrow Morning is the soundtrack to a man facing past struggles and difficulties, and moving past them towards new beginnings. For the first time, I’ll believe what E said ten years ago: “I think you know I'll be ok”.

4.3/5

Alfred Schnittke Gogol SuiteSoundtrack Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Soundtrack Avenue Q - Original Broadway CastAndrew Jackson Jihad People Who Can Eat People are the Luckiest People
Ulcerate The Destroyers of AllCamille Saint-Saens Danse macabre, Op.40
3.3
Joseph Viney STAFF (3)
Mark Everett and Eels lift themselves from the perpetual gloom to deliver an album of surprising opt...

Adam Thomas STAFF (4)
E finally cracks a smile...

August 21st 2010

Taking a break from Jethro Tull. This is definitely in my top ten of the year. Stream here: http://www.myspace.com/eels

Lakes.

good review

needs cover art

Digging: Arthur Russell - World of Echo

August 21st 2010

Thanks! I've been trying to upload the cover art for a while, haven't been very successful.

August 21st 2010

Excellent review, I'll definitely check this out because I really liked End Times, though I only listened once.

August 21st 2010

Also if you didn't know the cover art can only be a maximum of 200x200 so you might need to try a smaller image

August 21st 2010

Thanks, I tried a smaller picture, but it said "Duplicate entry '60695' for key 1". This is way better than End Times, btw.

August 21st 2010

No idea what's going wrong theer then. I'll listen to the stream tomorrow if I have time.

Lakes.
August 21st 2010

vanderb0b, that must mean the art worked the first time but the mods haven't approved it yet.

August 21st 2010

Oh, didn't realize that mods have to approve album artwork. Cool.

Seeing these guys live in a month, should be awesome.

loveisamixtape

great review man, but

every journey has a Beginning and an End, and during the time in between those two moments, the journeyman experiences fundamental, often life-changing, alterations in his character.

the comma after life-changing is unneeded. please forgive me, i'm an english major. haha.

Comatorium.
August 21st 2010

this review should be featured.

excellent album.

Digging: Silverstein - This is How the Wind Shifts: Addendum

August 22nd 2010

Edited. Awesome, album art got added. Thanks, everyone!

MutnikSpusic

good good album!

MutnikSpusic
August 22nd 2010

also how come this is not featured????

Jethro42
September 14th 2010

okay I guess I need to give it a listen. good, good review my friend, as always.

Jethro42
September 14th 2010

oh, and do they have some similarities with Beck ??

September 14th 2010

Thanks, man. On this album, there are a few similarities, but most of the other stuff is really different.