Carpathian
Wanderlust

good

by fromtheinside USER (130 Reviews)
August 10th, 2010 | 40 replies

Review Summary: an EP that confuses the future, will they become good or horrendous?

It’s always been a little difficult for Carpathian to harness an identity. Whether it’s 2008 and they’re in love with Parkway Drive, or it’s 2010 and they’re in love with Shipwreck A.D. the band often emulate their infatuations almost nonchalantly. Now let us not forget that imitation is the highest form of flattery, especially since it doesn’t hurt that often times Carpathian mirror their obsessions with poise. With their new EP Carpathian emulate a band still struggling to define their own niche in the genre but comprehend how to imitate the characteristics found throughout near flawlessly.

According to Deathwish’s website this is the bands darkest affair to date, while jarringly true it isn’t quite enough to requisite this as anything worth fapping about; mostly due to the fact that Carpathian are still trying to better other bands’ sound. Sure they’ve learned to become heavy, finally, but this notion seems to come at a cost since they appear only interested in how low their A# chords can go. Essentially this flusters every experience to sound identical which is a shame since had they been able to manage diversifying their sound a couple of the song would be worth the hype. The intro to the title track raises eyebrows, to the point where the rest of the song is worth paying attention to, but once someone notice that they continue the tread the entire fifteen minutes disappointment sets in.

The hardest thing with EP’s is the understanding of whether this is a sign of things to come or an experimental placement. The latter would be rather refreshing as everything in this bands back catalogue is certainly more interesting. But there are still points where the band could evolve upon their ideas. “Monochrome” for example has a perfect bass riff alongside its dissonant nature, but being the only intriguing moment on the disc it’s hard to hope the band will recognize this as their most inherent venture to date. Still, Carpathian offer artifices’ worth the hearing on this EP. Often you’ll mistake them for a more mainstream Defeater and/or Parkway Drive which probably isn’t possible, but it should be noted they’re mildly better.

Norma Jean WrongdoersThe Contortionist Language

streaming here: http://www.deathwishinc.com/

Digging: Techno Animal - The Brotherhood of the Bomb

East Hastings
August 10th 2010

i liked isolation, i'll check this out

fromtheinside

19204 Comments

i still hesitate saying whether this is worth checking out. I still am not quite sure. I guess if you liked their previous material then by all means have at it.

Captain North
August 10th 2010

I don't think they were emulating Parkway in 08. They were trying to emulate bands like Verse, although they missed the parts that made the other bands successful.

Deviant.

Have some artwork

Digging: Theo Parrish - American Intelligence

liledman
August 10th 2010

liked isolation, hated their other stuff. might give this a look before they start playing every god damn show in my area.

Mordecai.
August 10th 2010

love isolation. i really want this to be awesome

It's pretty aight.

AtavanHalen
August 10th 2010

Lol, why would anyone listen to Carpathian

They're all kinds of shit

Dryden

u said that

IRONIC

AtavanHalen
August 10th 2010

See what this band does? It's turned my own lover against me

cvlts
August 10th 2010

for the first sentence, I think it would go better if it went

Carpathian have always had difficulty finding their identity.

band is good. this is all rite.

TheBaneofSputnik
August 10th 2010

Not a big fan of this. Kind of boring and generic.

cvlts
August 10th 2010

but it doesn't really equivocate bad.

August 10th 2010

LOOKS LIKE WE FAILED TO MAKE AMENDS AGAIN!!!!!!

eternium
August 10th 2010

Isolation is great. I don't see how it is related to Parkway Drive, since it isn't ripping off In Flames or anything.

August 10th 2010

Yeah, this bumped itself up to a 3.5 for me. Wanderlust is a pretty great song.

eternium
August 10th 2010

Deathwish seems to be only streaming the title-track.

My name is Jacob Bannon and I thoroughly enjoy fucking with sputnikmusic.com

Captain North
August 10th 2010

Deathwish only ever streams one track.

And Isolation was boring as fuck, it was trying to be American hardcore but failed to add passion, atmosphere and good lyrics.