Eric's Trip
Love Tara

by Super Grover USER (32 Reviews)
August 6th, 2010 | 53 replies | 6,670 views

Release Date: 1993 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I'll escape from reality

Before the opening chords of "Behind the Garage" are even played, Eric's Trip have already laid out their scene. They say you should never judge a book by its cover, an album by its artwork, or however you’d like to interpret the phrase, but Love Tara almost recommends-- no, insists-- that the listener take a closer look. The simplicity of the plain, black and white photographic image fails to detract from the emotions it conceals--- the love, the sorrow, the desperation, the secrecy.

The number of secrets that spread themselves throughout every note, riff, and melody of Love Tara is nearly overwhelming. There’s the obvious, of course, as “Secret for Julie” so earnestly stresses, but it’s not as straightforward as Julie Doiron makes it seem. Fresh off a relationship with fellow vocalist Rick White, Doiron’s voice remains admirably steady throughout the song’s three minutes as she recalls the events following their breakup, but the details remain somewhat cloudy. What secret did White keep from her? What exactly happened behind the garage? Each track plays own like its own chapter of a novel, revealing to the listener only what White and Doiron, in their fragile, entwined voices, choose not to conceal. Each revealing one more secret.

White and Doiron are consistently backed by a wall of noise that slips in and out at the perfect time to complement the duo’s pop sensibilities. “Follow" and “Anytime You Want” are prime examples, both distortion-laden tracks placed perfectly in between low-key acoustic masterpieces. The hooks are simple and quick, but despite their sloppiness never forgo their precision, as both the rhythm section and the vocalist combo never miss a beat. Both are tame, however, in comparison to "Blinded," where all of Dorion's pent-up frustration spills out into a album-highlight romp, a spastic cut which contrasts beautifully with the peaceful, fragile demeanor of "May 11" just three minutes prior. As always the band's internal romantic struggles take the forefront lyrically, but here it's taken to a whole new level with ominous repeating shouts of "I find it hard to breathe" slowly degrading into shrieks of pain.

The sheer honesty of Love Tara makes it near impossible to fail to relate to, but it's the simplicity of songs like "Stove" and "Allergic to Love" that really lend the album its charm. Perhaps the latter is the best evidence of this, a serene closer in which White and Doiron seemingly put aside every problem from each and every song to harmonize one last time:

I'd like to talk to you, like to let you know... just what I'm thinking

Friendzone DXThe Twilight Singers Blackberry Belle
The National Trouble Will Find MeAlice in Chains The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
The Airborne Toxic Event Such Hot BloodMeat Puppets Rat Farm
Cam EMERITUS (5)
An indie/lo-fi classic....

August 6th 2010

wanted to start a discog for these guys but Forever Again will probably be in the very very distant future because it takes me so long to review nowadays.

August 6th 2010

great review; this sounds like a really interesting listen

Digging: Maybeshewill - Fair Youth

August 6th 2010

Julie Doiron. That is all.

robin

record is lovely

SlightlyEpic

love this album

joshuatree
August 6th 2010

excellent review, album is omg

August 6th 2010

Sowing you should definitely listen to this, I think you'd really dig it.

and thanks all, it's great to see this album (and Julie Doiron) get love

Ponton
August 6th 2010

Been on the list since you first rec'd it

Great review, i've got something pretty special planned for next 5, though not sure when it will come around

August 6th 2010

i checked out some samples; it definitely sounds like something ill like so i will download this soon

August 6th 2010

Thanks Jared, I'll be keeping a close eye out as always (especially if it involves you-know-what, but
that might be wishful thinking).

also Sowing that makes me really happy, check in with me after your first listen and let me know how
it was

DBlitz

rules

August 6th 2010

i certainly will, i always like sharing my opinions with the people who rec'd me

EVedder27
August 6th 2010

Very nice review, would like to see more from you. And I think I need this.

August 6th 2010

Thanks Mike, you would definitely love this

SeaAnemone

20018 Comments

I concur. But you knew that... I think most of our interaction is shared around the love for this album.

If I reviewed it, I think I could do it in one sentence (but yours is awesome, by the way, pos'd to the max):

So this is like The Glow Pt. 2's little sister - definitely much cuter and prettier, but not quite as sophisticated as her older brother.

There.

Digging: Natural Snow Buildings - The Night Country

August 6th 2010

Thanks Sea, and that is a very valid point...

...however I like girls.

SeaAnemone

20018 Comments

awesome comeback, and to be honest both siblings have equally spectacular points, it's best not to compare them I think, even if they're sorta similar in some ways

August 6th 2010

You heard Julie's latest solo album? Good shit.

Spare

♥ dis albm

PregnantTeen
August 6th 2010

love this and julie's latest was sick too