Loma Prieta
Life/Less

by fromtheinside USER (127 Reviews)
July 30th, 2010 | 117 replies | 16,030 views

Review Summary: Loma Prieta release one of the messiest efforts of the year.

Before writing this review I had to go reintroduce myself to Loma Prieta’s best effort to date, their debut LP Last City. During that session I pulled up a neat Nick Greer review and went to work learning that Loma Prieta used to be more interesting with odd time signatures and their recombination (DNA extraction and reassembling) techniques of other genres all in fruitful display, but a question arose as I started writing. Have they ever been this good? Well in short no, although they dropped a bit of the Ampere shtick so Nick may say otherwise, but Life / Less is a force to be reckoned with. The days of power pop riffs sliding underneath their frenetic dashes of grind, post-rock and hardcore are unfortunately less abound. But while the experimentation has all but gone by the wayside, Loma Prieta have opted for a stronger style with little recombination, and embrace a more focused effort giving the band the identity they so desperately needed.

The categorizing of Loma Prieta’s newest LP may grow to be a bit of a misnomer; the emotional characteristics are still as present as they ever were, see Dark Mountain, but how they are arranged feel more fashioned towards the hardcore and in some instances the grindcore crowd for lack of a better term emo powerviolence. Thunderous melodies and distortion that would drive White Noise enthusiasts crazy Life / Less becomes one of the messiest releases of the year – and I love it. How do we find beauty in something that is so messy? For the unabashed, art is completely subjective and one man’s trash is almost certain to be another’s treasure. This is not meant to consider Life / Less trash as it is far from such a generality. Nonetheless it is meant to evoke the notion that for a majority of its seventeen minute length Life / Less is a screamo rendition of “Stomp”. Though things are hardly as discernible as the mega Broadway hit; I imagine the intended static/fuzz throughout the album is a thanking to their 90’s contemporaries (basically any act signed to Gravity Records). Albeit, when things finally do crystalize on the airwaves it elicits feelings of a faint reality, take notice to the subway engine screeching across the tracks after the abrasive sixty seconds that precede it on “Dark Mtn”.

Each song runs an average of two minutes, and this is just enough time for the guys to start their engines in fifth gear and zoom-zoom on out. “Closenessless” feels like the middle of a song at its intro; as it cascades its way through dynamic riff changes and vocals with extreme tenacity one might wonder how the band could mange putting an end to their momentum. This is where the beauty is to be had. The contrast Loma Prieta employs between their indecipherable violent moments (“Lost Bridge”) border on the sporadic confines of Mesa Verde and Celeste, which serve as excellent segues to somber moments of reprieve or gentle outros bandaging the head rush of the minutes before it. Life / Less finally hits the stride Loma Prieta had been thirsting for their entire five year career. In releases prior the band picked apart several bands they admired, and for the most part they were successful in their mimicking. With Life / Less they take it one step farther employing the mechanics of simpler genres within their comfort range and expand on their full potential. With future releases one should expect the envelope to pushed further with new ideas to unfold now that the band have honed in on their identity; such hope already exists with the stunning closer given here – “Apparition”.

Pyrrhon The Mother of VirtuesCult Leader Nothing for Us Here
Chevelle La GargolaVales Wilt And Rise
Nero Di Marte Nero Di MartePolygons Rifts

Messy is right.

do you find it a fault?

Digging: Bast - Spectres

I need to listen to it more, just too mess, chaotic and inaudible
but then again I'm JUST getting into emo/screamo.

dylanthedesertpea
July 30th 2010

cool review man. this is my fav loma prieta album... pos'd btw

Enotron

loma prieta rules[2]

liledman
July 30th 2010

still havent checked this out, will today though.

good review.

I need to listen to it more, just too mess, chaotic and inaudible
but then again I'm JUST getting into emo/screamo.

that's definitely something you're gonna be coming into contact with time and time again in the genre.

July 30th 2010

It is true but something I might not be able to get into since it seems I cannot come to love Ampere and find them a tad overrated.

July 30th 2010

meh, i don't find Ampere all that amazing either. try some Orchid and Pg. 99 if you haven't. maybe some Saetia and Hot Cross.

July 30th 2010

Getting there bit by bit, wanted to acquire some of it on actually hard copy but I am starting to see that is either expensive or impossible.

July 30th 2010

i see. hot cross is probably one of the easier bands to get into if you're looking for some smooth transition. and yeah half the time a lot of these now worshiped bands shit goes out of print.

July 31st 2010

I'm watching some stuff on ebay right now that's decent priced and I got I Hate Myself 10 Songs today at my local record shop for 8 bucks, but like to even find a copy of to beat a dead horse is impossible, I just ordered a copy of the 2008 touch amore demo.

SlightlyEpic
July 31st 2010

this album rules, I think I still prefer Last City to it though, even if it's only by a fraction

SlightlyEpic

Dark Mountain's good, but not as good as this or Last City

July 31st 2010

yeah i'd say that's a good idea.

July 31st 2010

Yeah dude I like this about as much as Last City, which rules. Dark Mountain is pretty cool but not like this.

July 31st 2010

Yeah haha a 5 is pretty hasty... for under ten minutes of music... less than a week after release...

July 31st 2010

Yeah Somewhere at the Bottom is just too fuckin long. Plus the ratio of screaming to whining is better on the split.

plus I WANNA KNOW IF A CURTAIN DROPS

July 31st 2010

Hey lets stop talking about this in two threads at the same time. Especially since the other one is the actual album thread lol

July 31st 2010

The end of Trilogy 1 is like the coolest thing ever.