The Acacia Strain
Wormwood

1.5
very poor

by fromtheinside USER (130 Reviews)
July 29th, 2010 | 331 replies

Review Summary: 115 breakdowns, 115. can your head even handle that?

I’m trying my hardest to find ways in explaining how horrendous Wormwood is without attacking the many who have come to find enjoyment from this literal mess. Alas, I cannot because the only reason I can seem to find as to why people would is that it’s fun! Uh, ok? It just so happens that this reasoning also applies to those who partake in meth; coincidentally both kill. Now, before this review comes across as a spiteful rant I would like to acknowledge that The Acacia Strain have succeeded in something with this release, which by the way is devoid of any music talent, breaking shit down. Yeah, you know all that progression metal was able to make up till now despite its crippled limbs metalcore and deathcore? Well The Acacia Strain could honestly give less of a fuck. Of course it’s possible that the band believed somehow incorporating every single stereotype that metal and its ubiquitous sub-genres have derived thus far they would in some way wash away the stains; except that doesn’t make any sense. So cue the confusion ‘cause that’s all Wormwood accomplishes to be.

First things first, I understand the importance of breakdowns, and how essential they are to the genre The Acacia Strain are “creating”. For the less inclined this fallacy is called heavy a.k.a deathcore; here it is straight from the horses mouth "I have said it a couple of times: deathcore is the new nu-metal. You see the same kids and the same ethic. It sucks. And if anyone calls us “deathcore” then I might do something very bad to them. We aren’t deathcore. We are heavy. Any band that calls THEMSELVES deathcore should not be writing music. It just goes to show you that the weak minded need to label things.". Still, there has got to be a limit established because this excessiveness is getting out of hand. If I fill my car tank up passed it’s fourteen gallon limit until gasoline is suffusing from the tank and all across the lot does it enhance my vehicles performance? Can my car now fly? Has it gained the ability to swim under or above water? Will it even deliver me to my destination at a faster rate? If you answered yes to any of these questions you may in fact be a member of The Acacia Strain.

You see the most depressing aspect of this band is how the entire musical endeavor can be summed up within one paragraph. Surely this band is gunning for a record in regards to just how many breakdowns occur on Wormwood. To put things in perspective album opener “Beast” includes eight breakdowns all spanning a frame of thirty to forty-five seconds. So let’s do the math; with a track length of four minutes minus the unnecessary one minute intro you should get the equivalence to utter trite. Now multiply that with twelve tracks in total and you get an album with a minimum of ninety six breakdowns otherwise known as “holy shit are you kidding me?”. If you can’t tell by now this creates a problem. Essentially whatever musical competence the band has is raped from them in order to brodown. Everything, of course, is in half time and the guitars do not try branching their riffs out from the verses or choruses or whatever stanza it is they’re playing, because every transition within each song is near indecipherable – “The Hills Have Eyes”, “Terminated”, “Jonestown”.

“Ohhhh but it’s so heavy my house got leveled”. First of all no it didn’t. Second of all it’s nay impossible to take anything these guys do seriously when they have eight breakdowns per song, and their lead vocalist Vincent Bennett doesn’t believe in range. What he does believe in however is choking. Every word uttered by him is inaudible, and not that “oh wow that’s a cool deep low / scathing high he’s got going on there”; no it’s more like the “I can’t understand a fucking word this guy is saying, when is this guy gonna take that dick out of his throat?” kind of voice. Ironic because there’s a "myth" about there being a line about choking on dicks on one of these tracks.

In short they get an extra .5 for the simple fact that they’ve got this terribleness down to perfection, and its sure to be a hit at the Mayhem Festival – if that’s even still happening.

Norma Jean WrongdoersThe Contortionist Language
Code Orange I Am KingPyrrhon The Mother of Virtues
Cult Leader Nothing for Us HereChevelle La Gargola
3.2
good
Understanding In a Crash (3.5)
A breakdown done many times well......

TheFantasticDangler (4)

RosaParks
July 29th 2010

96 is a lot. Glad you counted.

19029 Comments

i completely disregarded "unabomber" now that i think about it because that song has at least 12 or 20.

Digging: Ibex Throne - Ibex Throne

Winsomniac
July 29th 2010

I'd write a counter-argument, but I would prefer not to lose my reviewing virginity defending Vincent Bennett. Review wasn't bad, I guess. I'm assuming you didn't like Prophets, When Will We Surrender, or Returners either. Meh, doesn't suit your tastes, alright.

Digging: The Ghost Inside - Dear Youth

ninety-six*

19029 Comments

should i look into to potato?

19029 Comments

i'm sure its a record. any record with more than a 100+ breakdowns needs a medal.

Winsomniac

needs a metal*.

crowing51
July 29th 2010

Wow 100+ BREAKDOWNS, If you take out the breakdowns i think the songs would be like 30sec to 1 minute long actually. Tactical Nuke wouldn't even make the CD lol.

19029 Comments

good god i forgot about the last track. updating summary now...

crowing51
July 29th 2010

To listen and find out how long the songs would be without the breakdowns seem like fun actually lol. Tactical Nuke is only 37 sec without the breakdowns, yet the song is 5:34 long.

kangaroopoo

Ms. Choksondik

Liek meh avvy?

July 29th 2010

There are some typos here that are easily fixed. Here:

Ctrl+F: "Break" Replace with: "Bro"

CutMan
July 29th 2010

Funny, I can understand pretty much every word this guy says on the album.

BigTuna

that is funny

Digging: Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2

PanasonicYouth
July 29th 2010

gonna put this on repeat all day and just bro out with my bros

BigTuna

i will join

PanasonicYouth

awwwwwww yeah

Apollo
July 29th 2010

great reveiw this is album is poo

CutMan
July 29th 2010

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't think this is anything special, it's just that I guess I can understand a man with a dick in his mouth, based on this review.