Letlive.
Fake History

by TheBloodTypo USER (1 Reviews)
July 21st, 2010 | 28 replies | 6,321 views

Review Summary: To all my friends, you're all gonna die...

Letlive has provided fans and newcomers alike with a fun, innovative album that has something for just about every listener, and each song on it is a gem of its own.

The CD starts off strong, with "Le Prologue," which I immediately imagined as a fantastic way to kick off a live show. From there, it slides relentlessly into "Sick, Sick, 6.8 Billion" and rarely lets up, the vocals and drums blaring and exciting the user until they can't be 'xcited no mo. "Renegade '86" brings about a relatively simple, rousting song, full of thought-provoking lyrics (although, the 15 minutes of fun part still stumps me) and kickin' drums. Enemigos/Enemies provides one of the catchiest choruses, which seems as though it was meant to be sung by the masses at live shows. Casino Columbus, which has a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTR4iLjKM7w), starts off with a faded section, sounding much like The Bled (anybody else think this?) However, it is catchy as mess, and has a chorus that's been stuck in my head since I first listened to this album months ago. The lyrics are very intuitive, and look back on American history (as I perceived it).

"Muther" is always seen as the crown jewel of this album, and for many reasons. It's subtle, beautiful tie-ins between each instrument and dual-voices make it Letlive's masterpiece. The female voice especially is a beautiful addition, one I'd like to see much more of. Despite coming across as the typical love/heartbreak song, this piece takes a beautiful approach to the stereotypical theme.

The rest of the album seems to chug along well. "Homeless Jazz" has obvious jazz tones (it's in the freakin' title) and starts off with a wonderful bass line. This is another song brings the listener to imagine them playing it live, with both the multiple-voice parts and "echoey" section. "We, The Pros of Con" is my favorite on the album, and stays strong throughout, with a beautifully vocalized chorus that sticks to my mind like...well, a great song. "H. Ledger" is probably the heaviest song on the album, with constantly moving guitar parts through the verses, and an almost angelic chorus (Haha, get it?). "Over Being Under" is probably the weakest song on the album. Albeit being great, it seems like a rehash of a few elements of the rest of the album, with not too much going on besides the vocals.

If you've had a problem with the lyrics of this album being too quirky, "Day 54" will definitely make up for it. Just about each line of this song is easily quotable by any man (or even woman!) and is easily the most meaningful and controversial song on the album.

I'd love, love, LOVE, to give this album a 5, but the guitars would have to shine more than on one or two songs, and the bass should have more interesting parts as well. I don't expect sweeps, or anything too showy that would overshadow the amazing vocals and mask the amazing lyrics, but a little more would be nice. The drums are amazing, and a real treat to attempt a cover of. However, I felt that the vocals on this album were the real treat throughout, having different tones on just about every song, throughout both cleans and screams. It's just coherent enough to be able to tell it's the same band as before, but with enough of a difference to allow the listener multiple listens without getting bored.

Unless you're looking for amazing shreddage, or br00tal breakdowns, there's something on this album for every listener, and I recommend everyone at least give it a listen or two.

My favorite songs:
Enemigos/Enemies
Muther
Homeless Jazz
We, The Pros of Con
Day 54

• yidnarc (1.5)
    This is overrated post hardcore at its worst. Are you sure there good??...

NothingForSomething (5)
    Letlive. reminds us of the roots of post-hardcore whilst having a modern flare and catchin...

syncopation081 (4.5)
    Apart from simply perfecting the dichotomous song-structure of traditional hardcore, Letli...

Live (4.5)
    Letlive create something worthy of a spot in every post-hardcore lover's library....

• J. Ponton EMERITUS (4.5)
    Letlive bring a post-hardcore album fit for many of 2010's best-of lists...

Sam Feldman's Rating (4.5)
    Fake History surprisingly sits close to the top of my albums of an already surprising year...

Mark Campbell (4)
    You know the other side of your pillow? This is cooler than that....

July 21st 2010

This is my first review, so any constructive criticism is appreciated. Hell, be brutal if you need to.

I don't mean to overshadow anybody else who wrote a review of this album (they were both great), but I know this album backwards and forwards, and have wanted to write a review for a long time now.

July 21st 2010

These guys need the Best New Music sticker.

July 21st 2010

For realz. I've listened to it non-stop for about 10 hours a day at work for about three weeks now.

July 21st 2010

WTPOC is my favorite. Overall.
Was the review good?

Shweet. : D

DDconjoined
July 21st 2010

yeah great album, Ive been fapping over it for months. good review, and if I hadn't heard it already, it would convince me to try it out , so I guess thats a win!

July 21st 2010

Thanks! I'm just afraid I'll overplay this thing and hate it weeks from now. : /

LOL and you rated Dillinger 1.5

Digging: Coroner - No More Color

July 21st 2010

I did. There's nothing creative there for me.

July 21st 2010

you're joking right? there's absolutely not one piece of creativity in that whole entire album? nothing. not a single thing that made you go oh wow this is new for metalcore? but this... THIS album which is essentially "Worship and Tribute" is creative?

**not taking anything away from this album.

July 21st 2010

Right. That whole album made me say "When is this going to end?" but this album made me want more immediately.

It's called an opinion, and varied taste. Just because it doesn't match yours doesn't mean you have the right to criticize it.

except when you say

There's nothing creative there

July 21st 2010

FOR ME. It's all stuff I've heard before, rehashed with terrible vocals and boring guitar tones.

HaloDude442
July 21st 2010

This album sounds absolutely nothing like Worship and Tribute. Aside from the vocals, which are crazy and amazing, like Palumbo's.

July 21st 2010

He's just mad because I'm apparently the only person on the planet who hates DEP.

KTLL
July 21st 2010

Yeah, this album is sounds absolutely nothing like Worship and Tribute. The only relation is the vocalist's style as compared to Palumbo's, and the fact that its also post-hardcore.

The tone, theme, and instrumentation is entirely different.

July 21st 2010

Check out The Messenger's "Let's Get Dangerous." It's KINDA like this album. The vocals are way out there, and the guitar hooks are great.

Listen to "Sex and John Candy" if you do.

Athom
July 21st 2010

sounds more like EYEWTKAS to me but whatever. glassjaw is glassjaw and this album owns

AbyssalCreation

2041 Comments

Album is sooooooo good.

Full paid justice, holiday truths, it’s all for you
You will pay for what they do, it’s all for you

gets stuck in my head all the time.

I know!

The lyrics are so good, too. Despite seeming shallow, a bit of thought unveils their motif. : D