Called To Arms
Peril and the Patient

by Adam Thomas STAFF
July 20th, 2010 | 131 replies | 26,814 views

Review Summary: Magnificently fun, fluid, and intriguing

I have always found C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters fascinating. Never having subscribed or believed in any faith, let alone any of the various Christian congregations that are normally the target audience for C.S. Lewis' more religiously themed books, there's something about how Lewis attacks the idea of freewill, the human condition, and influence via a young demon and his uncle Screwtape that transcends its outlying subject matter and, in its own way, looks at just who we are. The guys in Called To Arms have drawn upon the fictional correspondence that is The Screwtape Letters as the grounding theme for their latest album, Peril and the Patient, and just like how C.S. Lewis' book becomes more than a fable, Peril and the Patient draws heavily from fellow North Carolinians' Between the Buried and Me, in so much as also being helmed by Jamie King in the production booth, but it retains a flair all of its own.

Peril and the Patient is stunning in the way it all comes together. Without sounding like a jumbled mess of technical chug and melodic noodling, Called to Arms are a tightrope act with gear grinding palm-muted patterns on one end of the balancing pole and highly melodic and intricate leads leads at the other. While this is nothing new, it hasn't been done this well since Between the Buried and Me's Alaska in 2005. But where Alaska, or any other Between the Buried and Me album really, occasionally gets lost in itself and has to climb a rocky path of transitions and interludes before it gets back on track, Called to Arms embrace a simpler approach to their technical metalcore. They maintain their wow factor, aka the stuff that has kids at shows do that one handed air guitar move, while streamlining the construction of their songs, which keeps the songs in the five minute range – more than enough time to lead the listener through a twisting path of ups and downs, loud and soft, without making it seem like being stuck in a tedious, ever shifting labyrinth of sweeps and riffs.

Obviously, since they do tread familiar waters on Peril and the Patient it is damn near impossible to overlook that Called to Arms brazenly wear their influences on their sleeves. When it all comes down to it, though, that shouldn't be what defines what they've created on Peril and the Patient. It's a magnificently fun, fluid, and intriguing listen that accomplishes everything it set out to achieve, and in a year where many of metalcore's more established acts are laying low, it should give Called to Arms the chance to get the recognition they deserve.

United Nations The Next Four YearsMatter Teraphim
The Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is ThereOwls Two
Taking Back Sunday Happiness IsGridLink Longhena

July 21st 2010

Summary also applies to Inception. Props to Jamie from CTA for hooking me up.

July 21st 2010

you should give it a chance. the second half of the album>the first half but it still is all great.

qwe3
July 21st 2010

hmmmmm dunno if i'd like this.

StreetlightRock
July 21st 2010

Myspace tracks are pretty sick. If I was still into this music as much as I was ages back I would love this.

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

July 21st 2010

is this album still coming out on the 27th? i've seen no promotion for it at all besides the teaser on the band's purevolume page. nothing on their myspace and nothing from tragic hero records either.

i'm going to china for 6 weeks on the 27th and i'd really like to acquire the album before i go to the land where everything on the internet is blocked.

July 21st 2010

yeah, still on the 27th. same day as the new Decrepit Birth : )

July 21st 2010

sweeeet. really loving the sound from the teaser stuff they have up. hope it leaks within the next couple of days. i'll buy that shit when i get back haha

CutMan
July 21st 2010

From this review, I am VERY interested in this. I wish it came out sooner. I feel like everything I look forward to is just slightly too far off. Alternatively: I want it all NOW.

Digging: Boy Hits Car - All That Led Us Here

coleba
July 21st 2010

I too had the release date wrong.

I really enjoyed their EP, and found them similarly less pretentious than BTBAM, who are great, but with repeated listens, often get pedantic. Anyway, looking forward to this.

NocturnalEpitaph
July 21st 2010

thanks to a couple degrees of separation from this band via friends I got to hear this about a week ago (No I didn't get an actual copy, sorry) and Adam did an impeccable job describing it. I too enjoyed the EP (and saw them live a lot in college) but thought it sounded a little bit too much like BTBAM+Glass Casket to really be a great record.

However, this album is a HGUE step forward. You certainly can't discount the influence of BTBAM still, but I think they have really refined their writing into their own style finally. I might even like this better than anything BTBAM has done since TSC (/flame shield)

rthomps6
July 21st 2010

These guys sound pretty intriguing. Should I start with this or the EP?

I love BTBAM btw

Groink
July 21st 2010

Nice review. I want this.

NocturnalEpitaph
July 21st 2010

"These guys sound pretty intriguing. Should I start with this or the EP?"

That kind of depends. If someone had never heard them before, I would definitely tell them to check out this full length first since it is better. The EP has a TSC era BTBAM mixed with Glass Casket's WAGHT feel which is definitely enjoyable but not super unique. This album seemed (only 1 listen through for me mind you) to have traces of that but with a lot of new twists and turns all their own.

rthomps6
July 21st 2010

^Thanks, I'll probably take a look at this then first

canvasofdeath
July 21st 2010

dangit. So pumped for this but I can't find the album anywhere! At least they posted 2 new songs today. if those are any indicator of the album as a whole, this might be a serious contender for my metal AOTY. Probably listened to each 5 times today lol.

Adam: What were your favorite tracks, and how do you think the two tracks they have put online (looks like track 3 and 5 based on the tracklisting you provided) represent the album as a whole .

Vampolka
July 21st 2010

The two new songs on their Myspace are fantastic! Been waiting forever for new stuff. Although I think their transitions from riff to riff can be better. The solo in Let Sleeping Worms Lie= amazing. Pumped.

coleba
July 21st 2010

If you like BTBAM or Glass Casket, it's pretty much guaranteed you'll love EP.

July 21st 2010

just listened to the 2 songs they put on their myspace. the transitions are kind of abrupt but either way, i'm liking this sound. hopefully i can get a leak soon enough haha. the solo in let sleeping worms lie is thugnificent

blindsided21
July 21st 2010

Sounds kind of like BTBAM? I'm sold. I'll be sure to pick this up.

BreakdownsXplease
July 21st 2010

I really enjoyed their EP, didn't even realise they had another album coming out. Must get this. Still love the intro to the solace.