ceo
White Magic

by fromtheinside USER (128 Reviews)
July 15th, 2010 | 20 replies | 5,947 views

Review Summary: pure bliss in the form of music.

There’s something aurally indicative about ceo’s debut effort White Noise. While its title incandescently dabbles on the albums core theme it loosely translates the feeling to be heard. From its arousing intro number "All Around" filled to the brim with orchestral synth techniques and satiating “Ooo’s”, "Laaa's", and “Ahh’s” to the bubbly electro infused number “Love and Do What You Will”. The album from start to finish is the expression of a solidified joy that Eric Berglund, one half of the Swedish duo the Tough Alliance, apparently has found. Vibrant and poppy numbers like “Illuminata”, not too far off from a Disney sing along, are somehow beautifully blended with haunting post rock resemblances all within either one song “Oh God, Oh Dear” or back to back tracks.

That’s not even the best part though; the little nuances found within each track are what make this CD one of the best events to behold this year. The sword splicing effect in “No Mercy” doesn’t invoke feelings of despair or agony, but actually adds to the bliss spinning off the track as if sharpening his joy and harnessing his anguish. The repetitious ecstasy implied with lead single “Come With Me” has a sexy bass groove over its soaring synth lines, and what I like to think are distorted baby noises coupled with some dub saying "I keep it riddled", all adding to the heliolatry nature. Speaking of worshiping the sun, the last track “Den Blomstertid Nu Kommer” is an old hymn in which one celebrates the coming season of summer, now I’m no scientist but one who’s this invested with producing over the top happy ballads must be on something – look at that album art, and didn’t I say something about ecstasy earlier?

All notions aside this is surely the most delightful CD to have plopped into my iTunes all year. It feels like a roller coaster that never reprieves its climb; now before you think about how boring that might feel imagine that coaster were taking you to heights you could only dream of, beyond the sun, moon, and stars, and into worlds that felt only accessible through 2-D pictures. Well now you can reach them through this.

Code Orange I Am KingPyrrhon The Mother of Virtues
Cult Leader Nothing for Us HereChevelle La Gargola
Vales Wilt And RiseNero Di Marte Nero Di Marte
djigor (4.5)
Eric Berglund (one half of the Tough Alliance) weaves some aural magic with his first solo album....

Wonderland

July 15th 2010

uh, this... is so awesome.

Digging: Transcending Bizarre? - The Serpent's Manifolds

Blindsided
July 15th 2010

I was prepping my review for this you sob.

July 15th 2010

haha my bad man. i've been in love with this album for the past few days and was just shocked no one had reviewed it. i mean it's got a feature on Pitchfork even.

SOOO GOOOOD.

July 15th 2010

it really is, and i'm shocked to see you love this as much as i do.

July 15th 2010

i mean it's got a feature on Pitchfork even.

=]

Fluorine
July 15th 2010

I was strangely obsessed with this album for a few days. I am still rather impressed. I love the joyful exuberance.

Blindsided
July 15th 2010

I know that's where I saw it and I looked on here and it had like 3 votes and I was confused.

July 15th 2010

I might review this. Sorry, fromtheinside, but I'm much more controversial and intense and will bring in mass amounts of people to read my review.

This is probably your best review, but there are still a few things I would change.

the bubbly electro infused dance number

electro-infused.
And dance is an electronic subgenre, so electro comes across as an umbrella term which makes "dance" unneeded.

comma after album and finish.
Wouldn't it be The Tough Alliance, not "the?" There's The National and The New York Times, but this might be a typeset thing, I genuinely don't know.

are somehow beautifully blended with haunting post rock relevance’s all within either one song “Oh God, Oh Dear” or back to back tracks.

Do you mean resemblances?

CD, not cd.

July 16th 2010

lol bitchfork, i don't think you're as popular as you think you are.

Kiran
July 16th 2010

"come with me" is so good

July 16th 2010

Fromtheinside: I don't think I'm as serious about sputnik as you think I am.

July 16th 2010

your spamming and M.I.A review prove otherwise.

Spamming=srs business.

StreetlightRock
July 17th 2010

This feels so fake to me. Like they're trying too hard to be indie happy or something. I've listened to it three times over and each time it just gets worse. It's like eating honey made of plastic fiber.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

July 17th 2010

hmm interesting, what parts makes you feel like things are fake? i guess i could hear it in the vocals.

breesuschrist
August 5th 2010

all around is good

August 5th 2010

omg breesus is back.

plane
December 8th 2010

I can see where you're coming from Streetlight, but to me it just makes the album sound morose. In a good way. Vibrantly blue.

justlikehoney
June 26th 2012

if i could give it 6/5 i would, come with me is better than anything i've ever heard ever.