Thou
Summit

by Kyle Ward STAFF
July 14th, 2010 | 355 replies | 26,986 views

Review Summary: Summit is the product of focused songwriting and rock-solid musicianship, and is an album which perfects the sound and shows the full potential of an already great band.

What really captures your attention throughout the course of Baton Rouge, Louisiana’s sludge metal outfit Thou’s latest album Summit is the attention to detail. The album is literally littered with countless riffs that play on the usual sludge sound: rumbling, muddy, plodding, and rambling. While the album does base itself firmly on this premise, with the vocals being equally wandering and rather harsh, the beauty comes through when the music breaks for the numerous passages of harmonious guitar licks and atmospheric fodder that contrasts the doom metal tendencies of their more straightforward sludge moments with sheer perfection. The detail in the composition to scatter these bridges in the right places is daunting, because it makes a genre with a pretty thick and impenetrable signature sound seem effortless and dynamic; a feat that is the norm on Summit.

Anyone who’s heard Thou’s other albums will not be surprised by the content of Summit, instead they will be surprised by how concentrated and focused the album is. In fact, it’s hard to come up with any moments where the music is well and truly stagnant, because the riffs are constantly shifting and they are of such quality where, even if they did stick around for a while, you wouldn’t really care. The only real way to fault the album is that Thou really haven’t evolved their sound too much, instead they’ve taken all the great ideas they’ve had throughout their time as a band and put it all down onto one album. Only on the atmospheric instrumental “Summit Revisited” do things approach boring, but this is almost dismissible because the track is only three minutes long, compared to the nine to ten minute average on the other songs.

The dissonant melodies and the really at-home, atmospheric sludge metal riffing shine through as the real key players in making Summit so successful. The vocals; nothing more than a slow, raspy screeching affair, also play in with the guitars and really fit perfectly, something which another approach (like perhaps deep death metal growls) wouldn’t convey. The plodding bass guitar fits well but doesn’t necessarily make a name for itself, and the drumming is competent, but in a genre such as this the focus isn’t on overly technical drumming anyway. What really matters, when all is said and done, is that Thou have written the best album of their career with Summit, an album which is the most pleasant surprise of 2010 thus far. If you think sludge really isn’t your thing, I urge you to at least give Summit a chance, because letting this album slip through your fingers isn’t doing it justice in the least bit.

Panopticon Roads to the NorthEmpyrium The Turn of the Tides
Wolves in the Throne Room CelestiteAgalloch The Serpent and the Sphere
Insomnium Shadows of the Dying SunAinulindale Nevrast

July 14th 2010

First one as a contrib, rather nervous to be honest.

TheSpirit
July 14th 2010

I didn't even know you got promoted, congrats!

Digging: Emarosa - Versus

Hawks
July 14th 2010

Oh shit finally Crysis is a contributor! Took them long enough to promote you. Congrats dude.

Digging: Engraved - Before The Tales

July 14th 2010

Thanks guys. Check this album out if you haven't heard it yet.

SlightlyEpic

aawesomee

Hawks
July 14th 2010

I've never really even listened to any sludge metal, but I trust you Crysis. I'll give this album a listen.

jingledeath
July 14th 2010

Congrats on the new status dude. Album is good, might have to raise my rating if it keeps on being good.

July 14th 2010

It will keep on being good, no worries.

Ponton
July 14th 2010

No need to be nervous, great stuff

I listened to Tyrant a couple of weeks ago actually, but it wasn't really my thing.

Tits McGee
July 14th 2010

Well written review. I'm pretty interested in this album.

feav233
July 14th 2010

nice review, album is awesome

July 14th 2010

Thanks guys. If you're even remotely interested in this it's worth checking out.

kount
July 14th 2010

album has blast beats and clean vox

WatchItExplode

sold

kount
July 14th 2010

gonna download this off a blog

Burn2Burn
July 14th 2010

Good review! I couldn't find anywhere to listen to their music though, so I'm just gonna download and hope for the best.

Cerbyrus

is this one free too?

Metalstyles
July 14th 2010

nice review, I promised Jingle that I will listen to this and I shall too.

July 14th 2010

You never know dude, you might actually like it.

ShadowRemains

20541 Comments

wow dude congrats, well-earned to say the least

Digging: Banks - Goddess