The Red Paintings
Walls

by dUSK USER (19 Reviews)
September 30th, 2005 | 24 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

The Red Paintings are a five piece, Australian arthouse Rock group. They are building quite a stong reputation with their EP's, and incredibly theatrical live shows. I've never seen, or heard, of anything like them on stage before. Walls is their 6th release, and is what I believe to be their best.

The Band on this album is:
Trash McSweeny - Guitar, Vocals
Ellen Stancombe - Violing, Backing Vocals
Wayne Jennings - Chello, Backing Vocals
Josh Engelking - Drums, Percussions
Bo Witton - Bass

Walls opens the EP wonderfully. The intro is sad, and helps to set the mood of the EP. The song is probably the most upbeat on the EP, thanks to the verse/chorus, but it also has a great little bridge. I love the violin throughout it.

The Streets Fell Into My Window is a pretty crazy song. It opens with a narrated reading from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Before long, a tribal sounding drum beat kicks in, along with swirling background and the reading becomes similiar to that of a madman. The song flows steadily, keeping the a drum & bass rythm throughout the verses, and a Red Paintings style distorted chorus. The end of the song is cool, with Trash pulling off some cool effects on the guitar, and "the strings go nuts".

Dead Adults is the successor to Dead Children. It's a slow building song, with some cool delay effects throughout the first half of the song. The violin is fingerpicked throughout that time. After two and a half minutes the song becomes a little more exciting. What feels like a long procession of palm muted power chords rises to the songs climax, before eventually calming to a long outro.

Mad World, originally written by Tears For Fears, and later covered by Gary Jules, now undergoes more changes. I honestly believe this is the best version of the song I've heard. Tears For Fears wrote it like an 80's pop song, Gary Jules brought out some of the sadness about it, but The Red Paintings have outshined him here. The acoustic chords blend perfectly with the chello and violin, and Trash's vocals are brilliant. The song just seems to have a lot more feeling than any of the prior versions.

Portrait Of A Dead Soul sounds pretty cool. The song structure changes every minute or so, so it doesn't get tiresome. The vocals, strings and guitar dominate this track, with a distinct lack of Drums and Bass, something the band seems to do often. Nice easy listen really.

Walls (Alternative Ending) is pretty much what the title says. It's Walls, but the ending is extended with a continuation the last a minute or so longer than the first version.

Signals From The Frontier is a rather alien sounding track. It reminds of Radioheads No Suprises a little. It begins with plenty of spacey effects and a radio transmission describing the solar system. It continues as so, but just gets a little weirder as it procedes. It also has an annoying buzzing sound throughout the track.

Overall - The EP is pretty darn good. If your looking for something thats going to impress you with technical ability, don't bother. However, if your looking for an excellent easy listen, and are a sucker for the Violin, pick it up. Every song is very listenable, with the first 5 tracks being outstanding. Four stars.

Vomitor Bleeding The PriestFornost Der Wind Hat Mir Ein Lied Erzählt
The Red Paintings Destroy The RobotsHilltop Hoods The Hard Road
Vintersorg Visions From The Spiral GeneratorAgalloch Of Stone, Wind And Pillor
Jom STAFF (5)
A phenomenal EP that defines The Red Paintings' stellar musicianship and the genius of Trash McSween...

br3ad_man
September 30th 2005

Nice review man. I'm seeing this band in a month.

Bartender
November 14th 2005

I've only heard a couple of tracks from this (thanks to blue, in Forced Listenings), but they're both been excellent.

Kage
November 14th 2005

GAH! Cellos and violins! I need to get my hands on this. I definately am a sucker for the violin. This sounds great. Great review, too.

periculosus
December 23rd 2005

amazing band just incredible they're very talented.....good review

analrightstart
January 16th 2006

very nice ep

January 26th 2006

I cannot find this anywhere. At all.

Anyone care to hook a brotha up?

January 26th 2006

Awww, but that requires money. I can't buy it if I don't know if I like it or not.

[/whines]

CushMG15
January 27th 2006

Go to their website(theredpaintings.com), they have a couple songs.

If you like it...yes, amazon is probably you're best bet. But, if I remember correctly, they'll rape you because it's an import. It's also available on itunes.

And it's damn good, at that.

January 28th 2006

Mad World. My gawd.

I just wanna cry like a little sissy girl, it's so fantastic. I must have the rest of this.

CushMG15
February 4th 2006

Haha, yeah. That was pretty much my reaction too.

dUSK
February 22nd 2006

Heh, I just noticed that TRP have put this review on their official website. I thought that was kind of cool, and worthy of a bump.

Kage
March 18th 2006

That's pretty awesome that your review is featured on their website.
A good review it is; it got me into them in the first place.

Society Sellout
March 30th 2006

Hmm... So I read the review of their LP that's up and it sounded interesting so I listened a bit and bought this off Itunes. Very solid and interesting stuff. These guys may become my latest obsession.

mx
May 3rd 2006

This is excellent stuff. The voice is unique but never gets annoying

mx

morrissey
May 3rd 2006

Hahah that is so awesome.

This album sounds like something I would like.

Neoteric

Yeeha!

This and ShadowsFallen review :thumb: Sputnik sure is getting bigger.

Med57

Yeeha!

Heh, nice. Although why they've called the reviewer G, Macintosh is beyond me. This is a top EP, anyway. They've got a very good sound going for them, and it's surprising that there isn't more of a buzz about them over here.

Volunteer
June 16th 2006

All I have to say is THANKS for turning me on to this band.

carolinaheels387
November 14th 2006

Albums like this are the reason I love Sputnik. Seriously, how much better does it get?