Trephine
Trephine

by East Hastings USER (9 Reviews)
July 4th, 2010 | 21 replies | 4,298 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The result of Mastodon, The Dillinger Escape Plan, and Behold... The Arctopus having sex.

Instrumental bands seem to be a dime a dozen these days, whether it be post-rock, post-metal, noise rock, or the like, and one can often get lost in the ever-growing ranks of mediocrity. Trephine are a four-piece from Baltimore, Maryland, who blend punk energy with progressive instrumental metal and a "do whatever we want" aesthetic. The result is interesting, if not perfect. Trephine, the band's third release, features 8 tracks, yet clocks in at around 40 minutes, with a few long-runners like "Adenochrome" and "Go to Hell, Mr. Wiggles, (Part Two)."

Excluding a small sample from a movie at the beginning of "Devil's Activist," the album is entirely devoid of vocals, which adds a somewhat sinister atmosphere to some tracks, and a more laid-back feel to others. This obviously puts the instruments at the forefront of the music, a place where they truly shine. The guitarist (I'm pretty sure there's only one) is a machine, pumping out riff after riff and contributing chords, leads, and strange passages to the band's sound. The rhythm section is solid, to say the least. The bass is audible 95% of the time, and the playing often reminds me of Behold... The Arctopus. The drums, while not spectacular, are still interesting, and keep the songs moving along for the most part, a highlight being the jazzy break in "Axolotyl."

The music can collectively be described as progressive-math-stoner-noise-metal, incorporating all of these influences into a fun package. Opener "Go to Hell, Mr. Wiggles (Part One)" starts out with some slow dissonant riffs, and then erupts into a fun DEP-type riff that continues for the rest of the song. The beginning riff is repeated at the end of Part Two, which is an angry long-runner of a song. "Age of Reptiles" features some stoner metal riffs similar to Mastodon, and "Axolotyl"'s punk riffs constantly morph and melt into each other, creating a highlight song. "Resident Advisor" channels Behold... The Arctopus even more with strange minor-key riffing and tapped bass lines.

Song descriptions aside, Trephine is a worthwhile experience for fans of the aforementioned bands, with its flaw being the fact that all the songs tend to run together. However, the creative, fun feel of the album should keep most listeners interested.

Aidan Knight VersicolourYear of No Light Nord
Tusk The Resisting DreamerEva-01 EP01
War From A Harlots Mouth In ShoalsPolyenso Clean Head

July 4th 2010

i tried a different, shorter format for this review, let me know what you guys think

kount

fuk

hahaha what?

Bitchfork
July 4th 2010

Again punctuation inside quotes.
Some sentences need to be rewritten, such as:

The result is interesting, if not perfect. Trephine, the band's third release, features 8 tracks, yet clocks in at around 40 minutes, with a few long-runners being (replace with like) "Adenochrome" and "Go to Hell, Mr. Wiggles, (Part Two)".

pos' though.

Thanks.

Xenophanes
July 4th 2010

I like the shorter format for this album, kind of an unknown thing, gives me a bit of insight. good choice for this particular album, but not for all.

You are turning into a pretty decent reviewer, keep up the good work! Pos.

July 4th 2010

Thanks, man. I felt there wasn't exactly a whole lot to say about this album, so I condensed my ideas; and like you said, the format probably wouldn't transfer well for every one. But thank you for the compliments.

Bitchfork
July 4th 2010

Yeah concise reviews are much better than lengthy ones. 2 solid paragraphs is a lot more enjoyable to read, and oftentimes more descriptive than seven paragraphs of rehash.

Zip
July 4th 2010

summary is unbelievably stupid.

Mclovin
July 4th 2010

summary is unbelievably stupid.

SUBJECTIVESUBJECTIVESUBJECTIVESUBJECTIVESUBJECTIVE

I, however, am in favor of the summary. Good review, have a pos.

Zip
July 4th 2010

Well first off of all it's so cliche that it makes me want to vomit and secondly, all three of the bands are made up of guys and nothing but guys so a huge group orgy would produce nothing, especially nothing that would in any way be related to music. Thus, the summary is fucking retarded and if you don't think so, you're fucking retarded too.

July 4th 2010

what did you think of the review? haha

sexpoi
July 4th 2010

i liked the summary and the review. well done and tbh im fairly sure that everyone knows that guys cant have babies so obviously the saying in the summary was to let people know what to expect of the album by using more popular bands that people would know to describe the sound so i get it. pos'd and im definitely checkin this out

July 4th 2010

thanks a lot man, i think you'll probably enjoy it

LG

A threesome of excellence

July 5th 2010

agreed.

Jebull
November 5th 2010

So much awesome riffage here!

Josh D.
November 5th 2010

This isn't on YouTube, so I am displeased.

Jebull
November 5th 2010

It's pretty awesome, I grabbed it from mediafire. It's definitely out there.

Josh D.
November 5th 2010

I'm sure, but I wanted to hear it before hand.