The Bled
Heat Fetish

by fromtheinside USER (136 Reviews)
June 28th, 2010 | 55 replies

Review Summary: At least it's better than "Silent Treatment", but was that a difficult task? Apparently...

raw score - 2.7

The Bled have got to be the most confusing band on the scene today. One minute they’re salivating everyone’s glands with Pass the Flask in hopes that they’ll be able to carry the genre when it would eventually come to a dry spell, the next minute they’re releasing Found In the Flood, Silent Treatment, and now Heat Fetish.

My main problem with this cd is how it’s essentially one long song; it took me by surprise to learn there were actually 12 songs on this album. Maybe it’s due to the early listening stages and still not having become situated with each song, or maybe it’s because the band has no idea how to transition and/or expand upon ideas. The seconds we’re allowed to breathe between tracks 1-3 are moot since they each do nothing to distinguish themselves from one another.

“Smoke Breaks” is the first instance where the band actually change direction in both sound and premise. Where the first 6 minutes or whatever are led by mind numbing chugging; the band stammers into the song revealing to the world the serious hard on they have for Every Time I Die. This of course does not result in the song being good. After the first half of the songs’ intention to bleed the listener’s ear of annoyance with distortion and laughable harsh vocals the latter half resides solely on a tired breakdown. This leads to the second problem I have with the album. The band is a two trick pony, albeit they do use the two tricks that make metalcore more enjoyable (making the understanding even more depressing knowing the genre has very little in its arsenal), either distort the airwaves relentlessly “When Exiting Your Vehicle” or break everything down - “Meet Me In the Bone Orchard” .

The cd does have its redeeming merits though, “Crowbait” leads in with an intro that sounds identical to every other song on the second half of the record, but that’s beside the point. With off kilter cleans and an aggressive lead the song is everything this album could and should have been. Stealing less from their forbearers the band set out to refine what made their debut so intriguing. “Need New Conspirators” also has a sexy intro bass groove with an appropriate amount of distortion that reveals The Bled actually know how to balance their weapons. Lastly, and most unfortunate, “Night Errors” is the only other time the band actually try breaking up their monotonic sound; sadly it’s too little too late and we’re left hoping they fair better in the future.

Isis OceanicChevelle Vena Sera
Deftones Diamond EyesBanks Goddess
Chevelle Point #1Downfall of Gaia Aeon Unveils the Thrones of Decay
BringMeTheWaffles. (2.5)
Another metalcore act fails to meet the standard....

David Driver (3)
The good news is that it’s relentless chugging for forty minutes. The bad news is that it’s not ...

Josh Fountain (4)
The Bled releases an album that shows off a renewed vigor, Every Time I Die comparisons be Damned!...

19970 Comments

i really wanted to like this, i love PtF and all the hype for this gave me hope.
if the reviews tone seems angry its more towards my disappoint than with "hating" the band.

19970 Comments

i'm still shocked at how many 4's this is getting.

2.8 would round to 3, not 2.5

19970 Comments

i fumbled with a 3 but the review reads like a 2.5 though.

June 28th 2010

So then lower the raw score to a 2.7?

sure.

June 28th 2010

Anyway, I don't see how anyone that likes Flask wouldn't like this. To me, this seems a bit more varied while sounding more like Flask than any other album.

19970 Comments

i hear very little expansion off of that album. it's all one idea scattered throughout 12 tracks (supposedly).

June 28th 2010

Pass the Flask was the same way. It just happened to be their debut.

19970 Comments

exactly, taking things into consideration it was acceptable. with this they should have expanded on what they established on that album, instead it just sounds like a failed attempt at recapturing that magic.

danrawkz
June 28th 2010

Liking this a hell of a lot more after I got the actual CD, no more shitty webrip compressed bullshit. You can actually hear the subtleties a lot better.

cvlts
June 28th 2010

I don't know dude. This is the first Bled cd I got and I've listened to their older stuff and I still like this one a lot more.

sspedding

agree with the review.

which is a little short, but good.

Digging: Haste the Day - Coward

June 28th 2010

i am really enjoying this band right now

19970 Comments

EL i really wanted too as well. but this album is such a disappointment.

stupid doublepost

June 28th 2010

it doesn't really sound much different from their other material, yet for some reason, I just enjoy this one a bit more. It is quite simplistic, but some of the music just really catches my ear well.

19970 Comments

both points you just made are the reasons why this is trite. but yeah i can see how this would catch others attentions.

June 28th 2010

i do see why some wouldn't enjoy this, for those same reasons. I think they put a pleasant twist to an otherwise stale sound.

i dunno man.