Frank Turner
Love, Ire & Song

by Mike Allen USER (107 Reviews)
June 28th, 2010 | 180 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: You'll live to dance another day/it's just now you'll have to dance, for the two of us/so stop looking so damn depressed/sing with all your heart/that the Queen is dead

To be completely honest, I don’t believe there is a time more uncertain than your early twenties. The awkward teenage stage seems as though it has long since past; leaving only a shadow of our former selves in the midst of what we imagined was a transitional stage. The autonomy of the college years is only a misleading segment that dissipates in the blink of an eye, as the real world looms ever so close. Those chief decisions are to be made: What am I going to do for the rest of my life? Is this really it? As if we are unwilling to make the next transition knowing that it will be a permanent one, as the chaos and irresponsible demeanor of the aforementioned college years become a fading memory. And thus enters Frank Turner’s Love, Ire & Song.

Frank Turner’s sophomore release is a perpetual depiction of our most pivotal life juncture; Turner’s discussion of growing pains, heartbreak, and lost love ones are demonstrated with flying colors through his lyricism. These factions are only secondary however, to the helpless feeling of our beliefs being dragged out from under us, as instituted in the title track. “And all the things that I believed with all my heart when I was young, are just coasters for beers and clean surfaces for drugs”. Turner’s perfectly written lyricism so adequately radiates from every strum of his acoustic and every one of his passionate belts in unswerving fashion; ceasing only when the piano fades in the ultimate seconds of “Jet Lag.” The intricately crafted mix of acoustic and electric guitars present the instrumentation as both heartwarming and jubilant when necessary, but are almost utilized as puppets for Turner’s true emotions. There is something unequivocally devastating about Love, Ire & Song, no matter how bright the music appears to be. Frank Turner’s 2008 release is a lucid illustration of a man struggling at the crossroads of his life, containing that astronomical level of ambiguity and reluctance to let go of what has been.

The State Lottery When the Night ComesThe Wrens The Meadowlands
Bruce Springsteen The PromiseRVIVR RVIVR
Iron Chic Not Like ThisFake Problems Real Ghosts Caught on Tape
4.3

album is perfect guys

June 28th 2010

you son of a bitch. still gonna review this someday.

edit: have you seen him live yet?

20970 Comments

knew this was coming ; ) I gotta go but I promise to read later!

Digging: Viet Cong - Viet Cong

June 28th 2010

I have not redsky, really really want to now though. You should still review this too, because I would really like to read your take.

20970 Comments

can we all review it? please?

June 28th 2010

Eric when did you 5? Like now?!

appreciate it chambered

20970 Comments

yes, like now. it needed it. it started at a 4, but it's definitely a classic for me now.

June 28th 2010

You need to. The smaller the venue, the better. I'll probably review this for my 100th. All these 5's are making me glad that even if it's a little late, people are starting to pay attention to this album.

AtavanHalen
June 28th 2010

You've convinced me to check this out, but I really think you could have elaborated a lot more on the best songs on the record; maybe a few more lyrical examples?

foreverendeared
June 28th 2010

you didn't talk about the music at all except "intricately crafted mix of acoustic and electric guitars...." and that's not much at all. Otherwise, I really like your first paragraph. Maybe that's just because I'm 23 and feel just what you describe.

ConsiderPhlebas
June 28th 2010

Better than my review for it and half the length

June 28th 2010

she told me she was sick of all the hospital food, of doctors and distant relatives draining her blood, she said i know i'm dying but i'm not finished just yet yeah i'm dying for a drink and for a cigarette

but honey i was lonely on the road, i was all on my own, hanging out sad at the back of a death metal show, i saw you standing there with your hair down low, a kink in your step that made me want to know if you would like to take me home

she's not as pretty as she thinks she is, just picture her after she's had kids, i'll bet she sits at home and listens to the smiths, deep down she's just like everybody else

if love is really all that we need, then even all my singing is never gonna save me

June 28th 2010

Oh maturity's a wrapped up package deal so it seems
And ditching teenage fantasy means ditching all your dreams
All your friends and peers and family solomnly tell you you will
Have to grow up be an adult yeah be bored and unfulfilled
Oh when no ones yet explained to me exactly what's so great
About slaving 50 years away on something that you hate

When the evening casts it's shadows on the corners of my days
And I am old and I am settled in the place where I will stay
When my wandering meanderings have finally reached their end
Yeah whatever else maybe I will not forget my friends

Leave the mourning the to the morning
Yeah pain can be killed
With aspirin tablets and vitamin pills
But memories of hope, and glorious defeat
Are a little bit harder to beat

June 28th 2010

Yeah, I get the comments on the lack of discussion on the music. I've been trying to cut down on my length lately, and my last real short review seemed to go really well. For this record though the music isn't nearly as important as the concept or the lyrics so that might explain why I didn't write so much about the music as well.

David, the lyrics chan posted are really great examples, also additionally:

"We call each other up, when we're messed up
And say we'll meet in the New Year
But it's perfectly clear we'll do no such thing"

June 28th 2010

I find this album to be really incredible in that I continue to discover more and more about the lyrics that blow me away

June 28th 2010

It's one of the few albums that I've found that I can play to death every day and it only gets better.
Chan you need to hurry up and 5 this.

mebbe

Ponton

ive never heard of this

think it would be my thing, mike?

Digging: Gates - Bloom and Breathe

Jethro42

omg I need this asap.
Ved you did it again!...It's always a pleasure to read your reviews.
You're getting better and better buddy. So professional. Pos'd of course.

June 28th 2010

Can't say for sure Jared, but if you have a thing for songwriting at all I would say this is essential