Dark New Day
Vicious Thinking (Unreleased)

1.5
very poor

by fromtheinside USER (128 Reviews)
June 24th, 2010 | 23 replies

Review Summary: a leader in the worst of 2010.

Dark New Day break the five year silence with their Sophomore attempt ‘Vicious Thinking’. With such a long hiatus you’d think the super group would have figured out how to calm down their inconsistent rugged hard rock that was fumbled together for their debut. ‘Vicious Thinking’ sees the band facing an identity crisis of sorts. As brotastic and brutal as the title sounds the band are softer than they’ve ever lead on before. The title track is a sad but perfect example of this; the chords that are strummed with half hearted thunder lead into the weakest chorus presented on this affair. Which is sad to say, because at times they present a very modest rhythm section that is constantly bogged down by a tragic lead guitarist, who offers nothing interesting when it comes to his riffs.

As experimental as the band thought they were being while recording unfortunately is shot by the production stripping away that raw feeling that gave their debut a glimmer of hope in slim sections (see Brother). Both Hail Mary and Saddest Song try using the out of the ordinary whether it be dissonant chords or muffled instruments, any momentum that was insisted upon is lost by the constant need to build things up for the anti-climatic choruses which explode in all the wrong ways.

The album also doesn’t go without its power ballads as seen on Dear Addie and On My Way both of which do nothing to further the bands diluted sound. This bring us to the albums biggest fault, for the entire 41 minutes the boys refuse to change up their sound bent on proving they’re a hard rock band with distance separating themselves from the radio waves. The only time they actually hit this mark though is in the middle with Goodbye a strong vocal performance coupled with an excellent drum section actually helps set this band apart from the multiple other bands writing the exact same songs.

All in all Dark New Day return with a more than lackluster affair. With terrible song writing both lyrically and musically the question arises as to why this is considered a super group?

Code Orange I Am KingPyrrhon The Mother of Virtues
Cult Leader Nothing for Us HereChevelle La Gargola
Vales Wilt And RiseNero Di Marte Nero Di Marte
4.2

don't know who gave this a 4.5

Digging: Tragedy - Vengeance

June 24th 2010

Is this really a supergroup?

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

June 24th 2010

Brett Hestla of Virgos Merlot, Troy McLawhorn of DoubleDrive, Clint Lowery of Sevendust, Corey Lowery of Stereomud, Stuck Mojo, and Will Hunt of Skrape.

LOL

right?

TheSpirit
June 24th 2010

Holy shit I didn't even know this was coming out! I loved the first album and will probably check this out regardless of the rating.

Digging: Emarosa - Versus

PayneTiger777
June 24th 2010

Oh...shit. I liked this band too. I'm surprised to see that Clint is still in the band even after going back to Sevendust.

Emim
June 24th 2010

This is sad... their last was pretty enjoyable.

June 24th 2010

they clearly used up all their ideas on the debut. and even though it's been 5 years it still feels rushed. quite the disappointment since their debut was solid.

BrahTheSunGod
June 24th 2010

Damn. Liked their first a lot too, will check out regardless.

Very god review (nice and straightforward, well supported and composed), if you kill the unnecessary apostrophe in "the boy’s" i'll definitely pos.

Emim
June 24th 2010

Have you ever heard their song "Resistance"? It wasn't on that album, but I think it was part of a soundtrack or something. That song kills.

June 24th 2010

thanks for catching that brah, fixed.

BrahTheSunGod
June 25th 2010

Hmm. After an initial listen, I think you might be a liiiitle too harsh on it. I'm at about a 2.5 right now, but I can definitely hear all your criticisms.

Parallels
June 25th 2010

dude are you seriously 5 minutes from me.
if so we have to hang out, shits berserk

June 25th 2010

i am. how far are you again?

cvlts
June 25th 2010

someone definately has it out for you bro.

why do you say? haha.

tiesthatbind
June 25th 2010

Hm, I liked their debut. Wondering if I should even bother checking this out...

Digging: xSPONGEXCOREx - How Tough Are Yah?

June 25th 2010

you have to really like generic music.

tiesthatbind
June 25th 2010

I won't put it high in the list then.