Emperor
As the Shadows Rise

by Kit Brown USER (73 Reviews)
September 27th, 2005 | 10 replies | 10,125 views

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

Emperor Ė As the Shadows Rise EP

Here I am again, back with another Emperor review. In case you didnít know who these guys are, Emperor is a black metal band from Scandinavia. They were incredibly influential on the genre and this was one of their earlier EPís that was released in 1994. This is personally the most enjoyable EP that I have heard from Emperor and it contains three good, solid tracks in it. Here are the details for the rest of the album.

The quality of this album wasnít that great, but it adds to the overall feel of the album.

The album opens with Ancient Queen, a song that starts off with some really heavy guitar tone and then drums and vocals quickly come in. They keyboards in the back make this song sound really creepy, with plenty of lyrics that are near impossible to understand. I personally donít mind it, but there might be some listeners that do. The song is filled with fast drums and some cool guitar riffs. This song isnít a classic, but itís certainly a good, dependable Emperor track thatís fun to headbang to.

Now, onto the best track on the EP and one of my personal favorite Emperor tracks, Lord of the Storms. The opening riff is insanely enjoyable, and then an incredibly evil scream is shrieked and the greatness begins. This song is consistent all the way through, there is never a part where you find yourself bored and waiting to get to a better part. The vocals are some of the best that I have ever heard in the black metal genre. Also, listen to the song at 3:13, this part is pretty melodic and sounds awesome. The riffs are always entertaining and fun to listen to, but the only small flaw is that you can never hear the bass. I guess itís just something the band never focused on.

We now have reached the third and last song on the album, Witches Sabbath. A rather simple but catchy drum intro then takes you into the verse. The verse riff is pretty heavy and the vocals have been distorted so that they sound like Satan himself is saying this. Itís really evil, but some people might not like the way that it sounds. Itís probably a good thing that this song is under 2 minutes, any longer and it would have seen like it was overkill. And now, the album is over.

Remember, sometimes good things come in small packages. If you want a quick little sample of what Emperor is all about, I would check this out. Itís got some cool riffs, impressive vocals, haunting keyboard work, fast drums, and overall great songwriting. If youíre a metal fan and youíre trying to find another good release to check out, give this a try.

Final Rating: 4/5

Periphery PeripheryThe Red Chord Fed Through the Teeth Machine
Iwrestledabearonce It's All HappeningConverge Caring and Killing
Born of Osiris The New ReignThe Faceless Planetary Duality

Shadows
September 27th 2005

Great work. I'm assuming this is one of their more obscure EPs as I've never heard of it and I'm pretty familiar with Emperor. If it's as good as their past releases I must have this. Hordanes Land had Emperor at their worst production and I think it kind of amplified the effect of the music.

Thor
September 27th 2005

It's the best EP I've heard by them, and I'm pretty sure I've heard all of them. I can send this to you if you want.

Shadows
September 27th 2005

Where did you find these? Did you download? I noticed you had Reverence up too. That's cool, Emperor was always one of my favorite black metal bands.

Aakon_Keetreh
September 28th 2005

i usually get my emperor cds at ebay

November 16th 2009

Slays.

Digging: Tiamat - Clouds

Hawks
November 16th 2009

Hell yeah.

Digging: Engraved - Before The Tales

November 9th 2010

Gonna put on my ugg boots and gallop through the snow like a deer.

November 9th 2010

Damn son I haven't heard Nightside in so many days and months, think I might give it a spin tonight, after waffle house of course.

AngelofDeath
January 19th 2012

Forgot how much this ruled.

foxblood
November 13th 2013

this is some evil shit, too bad it's so short