Legend
Valediction

by Nigel Klein USER (2 Reviews)
June 15th, 2010 | 24 replies

Review Summary: Big breakdowns, two-steps, and sick vocals. Chad Ruhlig, Ex-For the Fallen Dreams, fronts this Detroit based heavy hardcore band. Their first release "Valediction", was highly anticipated, and didn't fall short of what was expected.

Looking for heavy? Legend has plenty. Their first full length album, "Valediction" is a full on assault of breakdowns, two-steps, and chugs, backed up by great pissed off vocals. Yes, it is true that Legend sounds similar to Bury Your Dead, or The Acacia Strain. I've even heard it taken as far as "It sounds like The Acacia Strain had sex with Bury Your Dead", but that still isn't bad, I mean, that would be one damn fine music baby.

Legend only pushes the limits of hardcore further with "Valediction". Chad's vocals are perfectly matched with the tough, beefy instrumental sound that Legend has. Lyrics like "Pushing your way through everything, never backing up, never giving in. You fake mother***er, I'll call you out", ("In Sight), add an extra element of being pissed off. You can feel the emotion put into the music. As with any hardcore, gang vocals are usually incorporated. For some bands this is a make a brake moment, and can easily be over done. This aspect was grasped well, and was done tastefully. Throughout parts of the album a digital effect is used, which sounds tight as hell. One thing Legend can do is make a raw, nasty breakdown. These are found through out the entire CD.

Overall; sick album. I've found myself listening to this over and over again and not getting bored with the material.

2.7
promiseswept (3)
Good vocals, pounding guitars, and great production cannot cover up the fact that "Valediction" is t...

ThePalestMexican
June 16th 2010

Reads more like a soundoff

Crimson Death
June 16th 2010

You fake motherfucker, he'll call you out.

Captain North
June 16th 2010

So basically generic metalcore.

Winsomniac
June 16th 2010

Holy shit. I feel like this CD could be advertised as a workout supplement.

I think I'll review this after eventually getting to writing about Returners.

Digging: Submotion Orchestra - Alium

June 16th 2010

Probably more like a 1.5-2. I've only heard one song and it was pretty much one big breakdown.

Digging: Snapcase - Progression Through Unlearning

Gaythiest

CHUG
CHUG
CHUGGA CHUG CHUG

sick shit

cvlts
June 16th 2010

I'll give this the review it deserves.

June 16th 2010

Thank you. I'm guessing you'll give it about a 1.5?

cvlts
June 16th 2010

I'm guessing that, or a 2 if it strikes a nostalgic chord in me.

Looking forward to it.

Gaythiest
June 16th 2010

Will you give it a 2.5 if it strikes a nostalgic breakdown with you?

NoRosesNoSkies
June 17th 2010

this is maybe one step above recon. twostepbreakdowntwostepbreakdown

sspedding

dogshit

Dryden

horseshit

sspedding

cowdung

Scoot
June 30th 2010

for the fallen dreams suck ass and so do this band

Digging: Renounced - The Melancholy We Ache

IAMERROR
July 26th 2010

I was thoroughly disappointed with this album.
I enjoy For the Fallen Dream's first album, but this one was the same thing only much worse.

despisediconSXE
November 7th 2010

i honestly love the cd. i think it has great heavy parts as well as melodic parts and the semi-techno bits in it really brng the post hardcore feel of the cd to a newer style. but i would deff be more specific when saying bury your dead, if u are referring to old bury your dead(cover your tracks and some of "beauty and the breakdown") then you're right but the new BYD is garbage...other than that, good review. Harlot i think is one of the better songs, it really bounces and is something that really can get u moving.

UnderDaIce
December 21st 2010

This CD makes me wanna throw down hard in the pit, and really that's about it. Good live band, really average as a whole though as everything sound exactly the same. A bit of guilty pleasure haha

RobotJesus
February 6th 2011

ive heard it all before not bad if i just wanna get pumped though