Ahab
Call Of The Wretched Sea

by vanderb0b USER (63 Reviews)
May 31st, 2010 | 41 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: WHALE AHEAD!

Being at sea is one of the most humbling experiences that a human can face. One can only feel insignificant when alone, with the vast, endless ocean around them. They are helpless, at it's will, and rarely does it show mercy. The sea is harsh and cruel, but at the same time beautiful and mysterious, and so for ages it has drawn men into it, many of which never returned. This romantic vision of the ocean has fascinated many artists and musicians, who often tried to replicate the sea's beauty through their work. However, few were as successful as the German funeral doom band, Ahab, whose first album, Call Of The Wretched Sea, is one of the most riveting musical accounts of nautical adventure ever recorded.

Ahab’s debut album is certainly a very ambitious venture, as the band decides to retell the story of Moby Dick through the album. This is the tale of Captain Ahab, a man determined to hunt and kill the mammoth whale, Moby Dick. Surprisingly, the young and inexperienced Ahab’s version of this story transcends those of other mature bands, such as Mastodon, as Ahab has an astounding ability to control the mood of their music. No other album can make the listener feel like they are at sea, desperately fighting a colossus, as well as Call Of The Wretched Sea. The sprawling, immense compositions filled with slow, grinding melodies and fearsome, growled vocals truly make one feel overwhelmed and helpless, much like a sailor fighting for his life against the murderous whale. The array of pounding drums and triturating guitars creates a wall of sound that all but destroys the listener.

But, just like the cruel seas are also beautiful, this savage and ruthless record is strangely captivating. While there is almost always a crushing, trudging guitar, a second guitarist often plays an enticing melody over the cacophony and chaos below. There are occasional acoustic breaks, where a sole clean guitar plays mournful melodies. But even during these rare calm moments, the listener waits for the music to once again explode into a pulverizing madness, much like a sailor awaits a storm during a brief lull.

Call Of The Wretched Sea, however, does not only make the listener feel like they are at sea, but it makes them feel like they are on Captain Ahab’s boat. The lyrics frequently quote Herman Melville’s classic, and the original segments are written in a style reminiscent of the American author’s and the vocalist’s growling truly sounds like a fierce whale, anguished and in pain, but still trying to destroy its hunter. This, along with the fantastic watercolor album art, gives the album a much-needed serious tone.

From the first ominous keyboard melody to the last strong, pummeling chord, Call Of The Wretched Sea enthralls the listener. Even though on the surface, it is something ugly and monstrous, this album has an irresistible charm that makes it impossible to stop listening. This, me laddy, is a hunt that you will wish to experience many, many times.

Alfred Schnittke Gogol SuiteSoundtrack (Film) Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Soundtrack (Film) Avenue Q - Original Broadway CastAndrew Jackson Jihad People Who Can Eat People are the Luckiest People
Ulcerate The Destroyers of AllCamille Saint-Saens Danse macabre, Op.40
the2stranger (4.5)
Drown in despair and anger. Ahab hunts the Whale and takes you on a trip where colossal beasts and w...

The Giant

The Divinity Of Oceans
recommended by reviewer
Mastodon Leviathan

May 31st 2010

Haven't reviewed for a while, thought I should try out doing some funeral doom. In the past two days, I got two "Whalecore" albums. I'll probably review both. Feedback would be appreciated.

Hawks
May 31st 2010

Loved this album when I first heard it then it grew off me a lot. Haven't listened to it in over a year though so I should probably do that soon, considering I really like funeral doom now.

May 31st 2010

Definitely give it another try. I just got into funeral doom a few days ago, and I think this is the best I've heard in the genre thus far, along with Shape Of Despair.

Hawks
May 31st 2010

I heard some Shape of Despair on Last.FM and yeah it was really great shit.

May 31st 2010

Yeah, Shape Of Despair is cool. I prefer Ahab, but by very little.

bloozclooz
May 31st 2010

Was reading like a really great album, until you said funeral doom.

Zzz

Dryden

funeral doom rules gtfo

bloozclooz

Lol

Dryden
May 31st 2010

LOlbloozclooz thinks he knows stuff

Foxhound
June 1st 2010

Great review, going to check this out.

TheSpirit
June 1st 2010

You Italicized Mastodon, but you don't have too. Otherwise good review and lolbloozclooz [2]. Funeral Doom rules.

Digging: Volahn - Aq Ab Al

kount

ya if u listened to it

Asiatic667
June 1st 2010

I wish I could find a copy of this

TheSpirit
June 1st 2010

oh mang kount good wun. i forgot you oonly listen to that most obscures music in da world. if we haven't heard it, you fucking love it.

kount

u wish u wuz

June 1st 2010

Great Review! This album is absolutely beautiful yet pulverizing. This is hands down one of the best concept albums. I'm not a big fan of Funeral Doom but something about this just hits the right chord. I ordered this with Ahab's newest The Divinity Of Oceans, but never received this album. Hopefully this one will become available again.

DOO is a concept album for The Loss Of The Ship Essex. Equally Amazing....

Take a peek at this....

June 1st 2010

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I fixed the italics.

@Rax0rGrind23
I haven't heard DOO yet, but I've been wanting to get it for quite a while now. That review is really cool, better than mine.

June 2nd 2010

^DOO imo isn't quite as good as this one. Still a fun listen. It would be better to just download that one if possible. It seems like this album really needs to be enjoyed sporadically. It can really lose its flare if overplayed. People I've talked to tend to go ape shit over this then get really bored with it because they play it none stop.

As for the reviews, I thinks yours is equally, well written. Keep up the good work.

FadeToBlack
June 2nd 2010

this really isn't that interesting...

Neither is Crushing The Holy Trinity EP