Bloody Panda
Summon

by Alex Robertson STAFF
May 14th, 2010 | 25 replies | 7,740 views

Bloody Panda's Summon was released to almost unanimously positive reviews last year, and it's easy to see why: would anyone except the most fervent admirers of the underground doom metal scene bother listening to a band called "Bloody Panda"? Okay, maybe that's giving the band less credit than they deserve: to be fair, Summon is a pretty consistently engaging and delectably bleak metal release--one that managed to sway a skeptical listener like me. Though I wouldn't consider myself a "doom metal aficionado", I leapt up at the chance to listen to this album (presented to me by good friend and school librarian Benjamin Moss), more out of pure curiosity than anything else.

And, you guessed it, I was indeed pleasantly surprised. It's not as if the album presented something radically different than what I expected. Crushing riffs and tortured vocals had, after all, been a staple of what little doom metal I had listened to prior. Still, in spite of all the ridiculous aspects--the band name, the juxtaposition of a petite female vocalist with a bunch of dudes in robes, the deliberately "avant-garde" album cover, etc.--that surrounded it, it simply worked. For a band that seems to want you to not take it seriously, these New Yorkers have done a pretty great job of convincing you that this music was the result of total involvement in their own dark world.

This great strength, however, also acts as Summon's greatest flaw--it doesn't let up on a concept and aesthetic that will only appeal to a small group. This is why Bloody Panda may never reach a larger audience than their underground fanbase; only a small percentage of people will bother listening to the thing, and even those who do may find it difficult to listen to the whole thing. Especially with tracks like the 21-minute "Miserere", Summon can be a little too unrelenting and is best listened to in small segments--anything else might cause sudden antisocial or grim behavior.

Teebs E S T A R ATabu Ley Rochereau The Voice of Lightness: Congo Classics 1961-1977
Julia Holter Loud City SongNara Leao Dez Anos Depois
Thelonious Monk Thelonious Monk TrioZahava Seewald and Michael Grebil From My Mother's House

Pheromone

May 14th 2010

written for school paper which explains the whole school librarian reference; really just ignore that hahaha

rasputin
May 14th 2010

friend of mine likes these guys - said he was going to post an album on s4d, might check it out when he does

May 14th 2010

cool--report back with thoughts if ya end up listening to it

rasputin
May 14th 2010

it's doom metal ofc ill like it i

May 14th 2010

This has a review, finally, fuck yeah pigeons. Good work.

liledman
May 15th 2010

ive only listened to half of this so far, the only thing that got on my nerves a bit were the synth sounds. even though they just sort of added a bit of ambience, i just dont particularly think it works well.

girls vocals are pretty cool, the sung parts are really creepy.

theacademy

almost unanimously

is this something u want in the first sentence ppl are going to read?

Wizard

19206 Comments

said he was going to post an album on s4d, might check it out when he does

You will like this rasp. Good album/ review.

Digging: Merzbow - Dust of Dreams

Buccaneer
May 15th 2010

Awesome review dude. Album's pretty great, though I tend to only listen to "Gold" nowadays

May 15th 2010

is this something u want in the first sentence ppl are going to read?

i might be wrong but doesn't it make sense to say 'almost completely'? maybe not

Roach

outta yor head fred

Bleekill
May 15th 2010

Good review, this band is pretty great. The live videos I have seen are pretty intense. I like their Flower of Flesh and Blood tribute promo pics

Wizard
June 2nd 2010

19206 Comments

I think if you had actually purchased this album, you would have written a different review robertsona.

Prolapse
June 2nd 2010

That is the most amazing band name I have ever seen

DeafMetal
February 20th 2011

Need to check this out still.

AngelofDeath
November 10th 2011

Portal remixed a track on this. Kinda cool.

FadedSun
May 13th 2012

This is pretty awesome.

Taboo
July 17th 2012

I'm glad i discovered these guys.

FadedSun
October 25th 2012

This is a tough listen, but going through my second full listen and this album is still fucking awesome.

oltnabrick
May 6th 2013

this was way heavier than i expected it to be

pre coo stuff